Total views : 184
Generalizing Modified Homotopy Perturbation Method to Study the Large Amplitude Vibration of Beams Subjected to an External Harmonic Excitation
Objectives: In present paper, large amplitude vibration behavior of an Euler-Bernoulli beam with immovable clampedclamped boundary conditions subjected to an external harmonic excitation resting on Pasternak foundation is investigated. Methods: Assuming the mid-plane stretching in the beam and using the Newton’s second law and then implementing the Galerkin’s method, the ordinary nonlinear differential equation is derived. Because of the large coefficient of the nonlinear term, the traditional perturbation methods based on the small coefficient of the nonlinear term lead to an invalid solution. Results: To solve the obtained strongly nonlinear non-homogeneous equation, the Modified Homotopy Perturbation Method (MHPM) is generalized. In order to validate the results of MHPM, some experimental tests carried out. Conclusion: The results show a good agreement between analytical and experimental data. Moreover, the time response of the first and second order generalized MHPM follows accurately the time response obtained by numerical solution.
Euler-Bernoulli Beam, Generalized MHPM, Harmonic Excitation, Large Amplitude Vibration of Beams, Pasternak Foundation.
- He JH. Homotopy perturbation technique. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 1999 Aug; 178(3-4):257–62.
- He JH. A coupling method of a homotopy perturbation technique and a perturbation technique for nonlinear problems. International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics. 2000 Jan; 35(1):37–43.
- He JH. A variational iteration method to Duffing equation. Chinese Journal of Computational Physics. 1999; 16(2):121–7.
- He JH. An elementary introduction to the homotopy perturbation method. Computers and Mathematics with Applications. 2009 Feb; 57(3):410–2.
- Nayfeh AH, Mook DT. Nonlinear oscillations. New York: Wiley Interscience; 1979.
- Nayfeh AH. Introduction to perturbation techniques. New York: Wiley Interscience; 1981 Jan.
- Liao SJ, Chwang AT. Application of homotopy analysis method in nonlinear oscillations. ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics. 1998 Dec; 65(4):914–22.
- He JH. New interpretation of homotopy perturbation method. International Journal of Modern Physics B. 2006 Jun; 20(18):2561–8.
- He JH. Homotopy perturbation methods with an auxiliary term. Abstract and Applied Analysis. 2012; 2012:1–7.
- He JH. Comment on He’s frequency formulation for nonlinear oscillators. European Journal of Physics. 2008 Jun; 29:L19–22.
- He JH. Preliminary report on the energy balance for nonlinear oscillations. Mechanics Research Communications. 2002 Mar-Apr; 29(2-3):107–11.
- Ganji DD, Gorji M, Soleimani S, Esmaeilpour M. Solution of nonlinear cubic-quantic Duffing oscillators using He’s energy balance method. Journal of Zhejiang University: Science A. 2009 Sep; 10(9):1263–8.
- Mickens RE. Mathematical and numerical study of the Duffing-harmonic oscillator. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2001 Jul; 244(3):563–7.
- Yazdi MK, Mirzabeigy A, Abdollahi H. Nonlinear oscillators with non-polynomial and discontinuous elastic restoring forces. Journal of Zhejiang University: Science A Nonlinear Science Letters A. 2012. 3:48–53.
- Nikkhoo A, Amankhani M. Dynamic behavior of functionally graded beams traversed by a moving random load. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Dec; 5(12):1–5.
- Pirbodaghi T, Ahmadian MT, Fesanghary M. On the homotopy analysis method for nonlinear vibration of beams. Mechanics Research Communications. 2009 Mar; 36(2):143–8.
- Sedighi HM, Shirazi KH, Zare J. An analytic solution of transversal oscillation of quantic nonlinear beam with homotopy analysis method. International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics. 2012 Apr. 47:777–84.
- Sarma BS, Vardan TK, Parathap H. On various formulation of large amplitude free vibration of beams. Computers and Structures. 1988; 29(6):959–66.
- A theoretical and experimental investigation on large amplitude free vibration behavior of a pre-tensioned beam with clamped–clamped ends using Modified Homotopy Perturbation Method. 2015. Available from: http://pic.sagepub.com/content/early/2015/04/14/0954406215580663.abstract
- He JH. A new perturbation technique which is also valid for large parameters. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2000; 229(5):1257–63.
- Kanani AS, Niknam H, Ohadi AR, Aghdam MM. Effect of nonlinear elastic foundation on large amplitude free and forced vibration of functionally graded beam. Composite Structures. 2014 Aug; 115:60–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.