Total views : 242
Factors Influencing Health Promoting Behaviors in College Students in Korea
Objectives: The purpose of our study was to assess health promoting behaviors and identify the influencing factors of health promoting behaviors of college students in Korea. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Our cross sectional study was conducted in September 2015. Two hundred and eighty-nine students were selected and evaluated. Multiple linear regression analysis was employed to estimate the effects of influencing factors on health promoting behaviors. Findings: Mean score of health promoting behaviors was 3.28(±0.36) on 5-point scale and mean score of professional healthcare was the lowest among sub-categories of healthpromoting behaviors. Factors influencing health promoting behaviors of college students were perceived health status (β=.196, p<.001), self-esteem (β=.204, p<.001), self-efficacy (β=.457, p<.001), and positive body image (β=.200, p<.001). Improvements/Applications: In order to increase health promoting behaviors of college students, health education or health skill training for self-efficacy and programs for positive body image and self-esteem are required.
Body Image, College Students, Health Promoting Behaviors, Health Status, Self-efficacy, Self-esteem.
- Pender NJ. Health promotion in nursing practice. 6th Pearson Education Inc: U S; 2010. p. 368.
- Kim JH, Oh HS, Min SH. Health life behavior and perceived stress of university students. Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life. 2004; 14(3):207–16.
- Lee I, Choi HK. Human behavior and social environment. 2nd (edn)., Nanam: Seoul; 2000.
- Han KS. Self efficacy, health promoting behaviors, and symptoms of stress among university students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2005; 35(3):585–92.
- Kim GS, Cho YH, Ra J, Park JY. Correlations among self-efficacy, social support networks, and health behavior in undergraduate students. Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing. 2008; 22(2):211–23.
- Ock CM. Study on the relationship between the health practices and health status among university students in Seoul. Master's Thesis, Ewha woman's University: Seoul; 2001.
- Yoon HS, Cho YC. A study on the preventive attitudes and health behavior of life-style related diseases in college students. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion. 2005; 22(4):229–44.
- Han MJ, Cho HA. Dietary habit and perceived stress of college students in Seoul Area. Journal of the Korean Society of Dietary Culture. 1998. 13(1):317–26.
- Ohrr HC. Lifestyle assessment. Korean Journal of Epidemiology. 1993; 15(1):14–22.
- Bae YG, Ryu SY, Han MA, Choi SW. The association between life stress, self-efficacy and health promotion behaviors among some university students. Korean Public Health Research. 2015; 41(2):99–109.
- Lee HJ. An influencing health promoting behavior of perceived health status and self-efficacy according to major of college students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2014; 15(2):989–99.
- Peak KS, Choi YH. A study of the factors influencing health promoting behavior and satisfaction of life in female college students. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion. 2003; 20(2):127–47.
- Chung YH, Seo NS, Moon HS. Related factors in health promotion behavior by gender among college student. Journal of Korean Society Health Education. 2011; 12(2):29–42.
- Chae MJ, Choi GS. Comparison between self-esteem and health promotion behavior of health department and non-health department college students-focused on comparison between emergency medical technology department students and engineering college students. The Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medical Technology. 2012; 16(1):53–63.
- Kim H. The health promotion behaviors according to nursing students' Enneagram personality types. Journal of Enneagram Studies. 2014; 11(1):9–27.
- Kim BK, Jung MS, Han CH. Health promoting behavior of university students and related factors. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion. 2002; 19(1):59–85.
- Oh NS, Park JY, Han CH. Health-promoting behaviors and related factors for college students by type of residence. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion. 2011; 28(2):27–40.
- Kim MH. Factors influencing health promoting behavior of university students. Master’s Thesis. Daejeon University: Daejeon; 2000.
- Tylka TL, Homan KJ. Exercise motives and positive body image in physically active college women and men: Exploring an expanded acceptance model of intuitive eating. Body Image. 2015; 15:90–7.
- Ingolfsdottir G, Asgeirsdottir BB, Gunnarsdottir T, Bjornsson AS. Changes in body image and dieting among 16-19-year-old Icelandic students from 2000 to 2010. Body Image. 2014; 11(4):364–9.
- Walker S, Sechrist K, Pender N. The health-promoting lifestyle profile: development and psychometric characteristics. Nursing Research. 1987; 36(2):76–81.
- Avalos L, Tylka TL, Wood-Barcalow N. The body appreciation scale: Development and psychometric evaluation. Body Image. 2005; 2(3):285–97.
- Moon IO, Park SK, Kim EG. Influence on health promotion behavior among nursing students according to health information seeking behavior. Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing. 2015; 29(2):231–43.
- Sim H, Kim M, Jeong K, Heo J, Choi E. Factors Influencing Health Promotion Behaviors of College Students, Journal of Korean Society Health Education Promotion, 2014, 31 (3):97–108.
- Kim MH, Lee YS. A study on the nutrient intake and food habits of college students in Chung-Nam area. The Korean Journal of Community Living Science. 2006; 17(3):143–58.
- Lee JC, Kim MH, Jang GH. A study on dietary habit and nutrition intake of university students by residence. Student Life Research. 2006; 12:13–25.
- Shimbo S, Zhang ZW, Inoguchi NM, Higashikawa K, Nakatsuka H, Watanabe T, Ikeda M. Effects of life away from home and physical exercise on nutrient intake and blood/serum parameters among girl students in Japan. The Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine. 2004; 203:275–86.
- Lee KY, Moon HJ, Han YS, Lim SR. The factors affecting health behaviors of a mother with infants and toddlers. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(35):1–9.
- Kim YM, Jin YH, Seo SJ. The relationship between the participation in life dance, perception of health and lifestyle in the elderly. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(25):1–9.
- Davis C, Cowles M. Body image and exercise: A study of relationships and comparisons between physically active men and women. Sex Roles. 1991; 25(1):33–44.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.