Total views : 360
The comparisons of tape of different type applied on forward head posture positions
Objectives: This study is to find out the effect on the neck and shoulder muscle activation changes when applying the elastic and non-elastic tape in forward head posture. Methods/Statistical Analysis: After preliminary research, 30 adult males and females were recruited and agreed to participate as the subject in this study. All subjects were measured their muscle activation with forward head posture, attaching the elastic tape, non-elastic tape and not attaching the tape by using Electromyography (EMG) equipment. The muscle activation of upper trapezius and splenius capitis is analyzed by using a one-way repeated ANOVA. Findings: As a result of the measurement value comparisons, applying non-elastic tape statically decrease muscle activation than elastic tape in the forward head posture (p<.05). Improvements/Applications: The result shows that non-elastic tape is more useful for forward head posture to support.
Elastic Tape, Electromyography, Forward Head Posture, Non-Elastic Tape.
- La Touche R, Paris-Alemany A, Von Piekartz H, Mannheimer JS, Fernandez-Carnero J, Rocabado M. The influence of cranio-cervical posture on maximal mouth opening and pressure pain threshold in patients with myofascial temporomandibular pain disorders. Clinical Journal of Pain. 2011 Jan; 27(1):48–55.
- Cho EJ. Effects of the career and major on the female student dancers' spinal deformity. [Master's degree thesis]. E-Wha University; 1997.
- Shin JJ, Kim JS, Hong JH, Yu JH, Lee DY. The effect of table height on the thickness of neck muscle during computer work. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(S26):1–5.
- Park SY, Yoo WG. Effects of the sustained computer work on upper cervical flexion motion. Journal of Physics Therapy Science. 2014 Mar; 26(3):441–2.
- Nejati P, Lotfian S, Moezy A, Nejati M. The study of correlation between forward head posture and neck pain in Iranian office workers. Medical Journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran. 2014 May; 26(3):1–7.
- Newmann DA. Kinesiology of the musculoskeletal system. 2nd ed. Missouri: Mosby Elsevier; 2010.
- Lee MY, Lee HY, Yong MS. Characteristics of cervical position sense in subjects with forward head posture. Journal of Physical Therapy Science. 2014 Nov; 26(11):1741–3.
- Ruivo RM, Carita AI, Pezarat-Correia P. The effects of training and detraining after an 8 month resistance and stretching training program on forward head and protracted shoulder postures in adolescents: Randomized controlled study. Man Therapy. 2016 Feb; 21:76–82.
- Moustafa IM, Diab AA. The effect of adding forward head posture corrective exercises in the management of lumbosacral radiculopathy: A randomized controlled study. Journal of Manipulative Physiology Therapy. 2015 Mar-Apr; 38(3):167–78.
- Morningstar MW, Strauchman MN, Weeks DA. Spinal manipulation and anterior head weighting for the correction of forward head posture and cervical hypolordosis: A pilot study. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine. 2003; 2(2):51–4.
- Veqar Z, Kumar D. Role of a sensorimotor training and a cervical stabilization exercise program in the correction of forward head posture in male visual display unit operators. Gait and Posture. 2005 Jun; 21(S1):S135.
- Kim SY, Kim HB. McConnell taping method for the shoulder dysfunction. Korean Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy. 2005 Jun; 11(2):96–107.
- Kwon OS. Effects of non-stretchable tapes and stretchable tapes for strapping in stroke patients with shoulder subluxation. Korean Journal of Health Promotion. 2010; 10:139–46.
- McCaw ST, Cerullo JF. Prophylactic ankle stabilizers affect ankle joint kinematics during drop landings. Medical Science Sports Exercise. 1999 May; 31(5):702–7.
- Grampurohit N, Pradhan S, Kartin D. Efficacy of adhesive taping as an adjunct to physical rehabilitation to influence outcomes post-stroke: A systematic review. Top Stroke Rehability. 2015 Feb; 22(1):72–82.
- Straker LM, Coleman J, Skoss R, Maslen BA, Burgess-Limerick R, Pollock CM. A comparison of posture and muscle activity during tablet computer, desktop computer and paper use by young children. Ergonomics. 2008 Apr; 51(4):540–55.
- Dall'Alba PT, Sterling MM, Treleaven JM, Edwards SL, Jull GA. Cervical range of motion discriminates between asymptomatic persons and those with whiplash. Spine. 2001 Oct; 26(19):2090–4.
- Yu SH. Effects of posture, break type and work-break schedule on fatigue during smart phone use. [Master's degree thesis]. Han-Yang University: 2012.
- Park SD. Electromyographic activities of neck and shoulder muscle during the computer typing in forward head posture. [Master's degree thesis]. Yon-Sei University: 2005.
- Host HH. Scapular taping in the treatment of anterior shoulder impingement. Physical Therapy. 1995 Sep; 75(9):803–12.
- Church J. Effects of upper trapezius inhibition taping on Electromyography muscle activity. Physiotherapy. 2003 Mar; 89(3):190–90.
- Marik T. A systematic review of therapeutic taping for the upper extremity. Journal of Hand Therapy. 2012 Oct; 25(4):e11–2.
- Garcia-Muro F, Rodriguez-Fernandez A L, Herrero-de-Lucas A. Treatment of myofascial pain in the shoulder with kinesiotaping: A case report. Man Therapy. 2010 Jun; 15(3):292–5.
- Vichaiwong K, Thepamphan K, Nupong J, Srikittayawat B, Issarayangyuen P. Long-term effects of elastic taping on rounded shoulder correction and pectoralis minor length in male young adults. Physiotherapy. 2015 May; 101(S1):589–90.
- Yoo WG. Effect of the Neck Retraction Taping (NRT) on forward head posture and the upper trapezius muscle during computer work. Journal of Physical Therapy Science. 2013 May; 25(5):581–2.
- Kuni B, Mussler J, Kalkum E, Schmitt H, Wolf SI. Effect of kinesio taping, non-elastic taping and bracing on segmental foot kinematics during drop landing in healthy subjects and subjects with chronic ankle instability. Physiotherapy. 2015 Sep; 102(3):287–93.
- Lee SM, Lee DY, Hong JH, Yu JH, Kim JS. The effect of elastic and non-elastic tape on flat foot. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(26):1–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.