Total views : 250
An Efficient Architecture of Intra Prediction and TQ/IQIT Module of Video Encoder
Objectives: In this paper, an efficient architecture of intra prediction module of H.264 high profile encoder is proposed. This module can be operated in 308 cycles for one macroblock. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The plane mode removal and SAD (Sum of Absolute Difference) distortion calculation are adopted to reduce the hardware cost and cycle. The sharing method of the Q (Quantization) and IQ (Inverse Quantization) modules for I4MB and I8MB prediction, calculation method of the DC value of I16MB and chroma predictions in prediction cycles to speed up the macroblock processing cycle are proposed. Findings: The proposed hardware was verified with the vector generated by reference C using JM13.2. The designed circuit has 250 K gate counts by using TSMC 0.18 um process including SRAM memory and can operate in 160 MHz clock. Improvements/Applications: The cycle for one macroblock is reduced compared with other architectures.
High Profile, Integer Transform, Intra-Prediction, Inverse Integer Transforms, Inverse Quantization, Quantization.
- Huang YW, Hsieh BY, Chen TC, Chen LG. Analysis, fast algorithm and VLSI architecture design for H.264/AVC intra frame coder. IEEE Transaction on Circuits System Video Technology. 2005 Mar; 15(3):378–400.
- Pan F, Lin X, Rahardja S, Lim KP, Li ZG, Wu D, Wu S. Fast mode decision algorithm for intra prediction in H.264/AVC video coding. IEEE Transaction on Circuits System Video Technology. 2005 Jul; 15(7):813–22.
- Meng B, Au OC, Wong CW, Lam HK. Efficient intra prediction mode selection for 4 x 4 blocks in H.264. Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo; 2003. p. 521–4.
- Suh K, Park S, Cho H. An efficient hardware architecture of intra prediction and TQ/IQIT module for H.264 encoder. ETRI Journal. 2005 Oct; 27(5):511–24.
- Meng B, Au OC, Wong CW, Lam HK. Efficient intra prediction algorithm in H.264. Proceeding of International Conference on Image Processing; 2003. p. 837–40.
- Lin YK, Chang TS. Fast mode decision algorithm for intra prediction in H.264/AVC. Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing. 2005. p. 585–8.
- Wang TC, Huang YW, Fang HC, Chen LG. Performance analysis of hardware oriented algorithm modifications in H.264. Proceeding International Conference on Acoustic, Speech and Signal Processing; 2003. p. 493–6.
- Fu F, Lin X, Xu L. Fast intra prediction algorithm in H.264/AVC. Proc Int Conf Signal Processing. 2004. p. 1191–4.
- Tsai AC, Wang JF, Lin WG, Yang JF. A simple and robust direction detection algorithm for fast H.264 intra prediction. Proceeding International Conference on Multimedia and Expo; 2007. p. 1587–90.
- Jafari M, Kasaei S. Adaptive search range decision for fast intra- and inter-prediction mode decision in H.264/AVC. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Sept; 4(9):1137–46.
- Kim JH, Kim BG, Kim ST, Cho CS. A fast intra-mode decision algorithm for P-Slices in H.264/AVC video coding. Proceeding International Conference on Consumer Electronics; 2007. p. 1–2.
- Kun Z, Chun Y, Qiang L, Yuzhou Z. A fast block type decision method for H.264/AVC intra prediction. Proceeding International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology; 2007. p. 673–6.
- Jung J, Kwon DN. DCT based fast 4 x 4 intra-prediction mode selection. Proceeding of IEEE Conference on Consumer Communication and Networking Conference; 2007.
- Rajeev PMS, Beulet A. An efficient hardware realization of distributed arithmetic based discrete cosine transform. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(25):1–4.
- Kao YC, Chih Kuo H, Lin YT, Hou CW, Li YH, Huang HT, Lin YL. A high-performance VLSI architecture for intra prediction and mode decision in H.264/AVC video encoding. Proceeding IEEE Asia Pacific Conference Circuits and Systems; 2006. p. 562–5.
- Sahin E, Hamzaoglu I. An efficient hardware architecture for H.264 intra prediction algorithm. Proceeding of Conference on Design Automation and Test in Europe; 2007. p. 1–6.
- Lin YK, Li DW, Lin CC, Kuo TY, Wu SJ, Tai WC, Chang WC, Chang TS. A 240 mW, 10 mm2 1080 p H.264/AVC high profile encoder chip. DAC. 2008 Jun; 2008:78–83.
- Li DW, Ku CW, Cheng CC, Lin YK, Chang TS. A 61 MHz 72 K Gates 1280 x 720 30 fps H.264 intra encoder. Proceeding International Conference on Acoustic, Speech and Signal Processing; 2007 Apr. p. 801–4.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.