Total views : 725
Application of a Software Education Program Developed to Improve Computational Thinking in Elementary School Girls
Objectives: This study developed and applied a Software Education program that uses App Inventor and examined its effect in improving computational thinking among elementary schoolgirls. Methods/Statistical Analysis: We applied an educational program developed according to the stages of the “ADDIE Model” 42 times during classes held for 7 days. To examine the effect of the program, we carried out pre and post examinations using “Computational Cognition Test A, Type B” and “Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking Test Type A.” The results were analyzed using the “paired sample T-test” and “Wilcoxon’s signed rank test.” Findings: We developed and used a software education program that employs the main concepts of computation thinking with a focus on everyday situations to reduce the mental and cognitive burden of learning programming on schoolgirls. By reducing the negative attitudes of schoolgirls toward software education, a statistically significant increase was seen in their computational cognition. Furthermore, they scored high on all the sub-factors related to creativity with the exception of “closure” and “titles.” In particular, “originality” showed a statistically significant increase. The educational content satisfied them, and their creativity and logical thinking improved after participating in the educational activity. Therefore, the software education program that uses App Inventor aided in enhancing computational cognition and creativity among elementary schoolgirls and improved their computational thinking. Improvements/ Applications: This study can be used for improving computational thinking among female students not only by using App Inventor but also by using various other educational programming languages.
ADDIE Model, App Inventor, Computational Thinking, Creativity, Software Education.
- Hyun NS, Qil JH, Hyun KD, Ho JM, Ju KH, Jeong KD, Chang YH. Software Education in Science Experiments Based on The Mini-Computer. The Journal of Korean association of computer education. 2015 Mar; 19(1):51–5.
- Wing JM. Computational Thinking and thinking about computing. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society. 2008 Jul; 366:3717–25.
- Beom SJ, Hey PS, Wuk LT. The Effect of Robot Programming Learning Considered Gender Differences on Female Middle School Student`s Flow Level and Problem Solving Ability. The Journal of Korean Association of Computer Education. 2009 Jan; 12(1):45–55.
- Gu SM, Ik SC. A Study on Development of Teaching Materials for App Inventor Programming Using the Waterfall Model. The Journal of Korean Association of Computer Education. 2013 Dec; 17(4):409–19.
- Jin OS. Development an Animation Programming Curriculum for the Elementary Gifted Children of Information Science [Master’s Thesis]. Graduate School of Gyeongin Education University; 2003.
- Jin AS, Jun LY. Elementary and Secondary Programming Education Plan Using App Inventor. The Journal of Korean Association of Computer Education. 2014 Sep; 17(5):79–88.
- Kwon BY. Robot programming education model in ubiquitous environment for enhancement of creative problem-solving ability [Doctoral dissertation]. Graduate School of Korea National University of Education; 2006.
- Flowers TR, Gossett KA. Teaching problem solving, computing, and information technology with robots. Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges. 2002 Apr; 17(6):45–55.
- Park I, Kim D, Oh J, Jang Y, Lim K. Learning Effects of Pedagogical Robots with Programming in Elementary School Environments in Korea. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(26):1–5.
- What is Computer Science? Efficiently Implementing Automated Abstractions. 2010. Available from: http://www.pgbovine.net/what-is-computer-science.html.
- CSTA K–12 Computer Science Standards. 2005. Available from: https://csta.acm.org/Curriculum/sub/K12Standards.html.
- Kang H, Cho J, Kim H. Application Study on Android Application Prototyping Method using App Inventor. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(19):1–5.
- Kyung RH. Android App. Implementation Teaching using App Inventor for Elementary school students. The Journal of Korea Multimedia Society. 2013 Dec; 18(7):886–94.
- Jin HS, Won CJ, Jun LY. Development of Education Plan of Using App Inventor for Improving Informatics Gifted Elementary Students’ Learning Flow. The Journal of Korean association of computer education. 2014 Aug; 18(2):185–90.
- Morelli R, Lanerolle D, Lake T, Limardo P, Tamotsu N, Uche CE. Can android app inventor bring computational thinking to k-12. Proceedings of the 42nd ACM technical symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE'11), USA. 2011,1–6.
- JwaTek Y, Bong YS. Effects of instruction of robotic control programming according to problem-based learning on logical thinking of junior high school students. The Journal of Korean Association for Thinking Development. 2004 Nov;265–82.
- Kyoung LE, Jun LY. The Effects of a Robot Based Programming Learning on Learners` Creative Problem Solving Potential. The Journal of Korean Institute of Industrial Education. 2008 Sept; 33(2):120–36.
- Dsouza MJ, Rodrigues P. Extreme Pedagogy: An Agile Teaching-Learning Methodology for Engineering Education. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 May; 8(9):828–33.
- Su KB. Programming education progra based on PPS to improve computational thinking ability [Doctoral dissertation]. Graduate School of Jeju National University of Education; 2014.
- Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking Directions manual and scoring guide. 2010. Available from:http://ststesting.com/2005giftttct.html
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.