Total views : 307
Relationship between Depression from Self-esteem, Stress, and Verbal Anger Behavior in Korean University Students
Objectives: This study is a research carried out to confirm the influences of the stress, self-esteem, and verbal anger behavior as the factors to impact on depression of Korean university students. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In order to get data, a survey was conducted to 180 college students in a city. Scales of Beck’s depression, Rosenberg's self-esteem, perceived stress, and Chambers’ verbal anger behaviors were used. In order to verify the correlations among variables were tested utilizing Pearson's correlation coefficients, and multiple linear regression analyses were performed using the SPSS/PASW 22.0 program. Findings: Findings from the analyses are as follows; (1) Depression had a very strong positive correlation with stress (r=.881, p<.001), while having a very strong negative correlation with self-esteem (r=-.715, p<.001) and a weak negative correlation with conductive verbal anger behavior (r=-.337, p<.001). But, depression was no correlation with destructive verbal anger behavior (r=.080, p>.050). (2)The high impact variable affecting the depression was stress (β=0.589), with the R squared of the model being 69.5 (F=102.505, p<.001).Depression among university students had a very strong positive correlation with stress. And self-esteem was identified as having the most negative impact on depression. Improvements/Applications: These findings will give useful information for constructing an intervening and preventative program focused on anger, stress, self-esteem and depression in the university students.
Depression, Self-esteem, Stress, University Students, Verbal Anger Behavior.
- Coffman DL, Gilligan TD. Social Support, Stress and Self-efficacy: Effects on Student's Satisfaction. Journal of College Student Retention. 2002; 4(1):53–66.
- Moon WH. A Study on Student's Stress, Coping, and Emotional Experiences in College Life, Journal of Daejeon Health Sciences College. 2011; 32:429–50.
- Relationships between Self-efficacy, Stress, Depression and Adjustment of College Students. http://www.indjst.org/index.php/indjst/article/view/86802/66575. Data accessed: 04/05/2016.
- Lee HE. Testing for Moderating Effects of Coping Style with Structural Equations = Life Stress and Depressive Symptoms among College Students, Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2004; 9(1):25–48.
- Seo SY. The relationships among social support, anger expression style, and depression of college students (Unpublished master's thesis). University of Hong-Ik in Korea. 2001.
- Lee MH. Effects of Parental Attachment and Depressive Mood on Anger Expression Style– Focused on the Middle School Student (Unpublished master's thesis). University of Dong-A in Korea. 2011.
- Kopper BA. Epperson DL. The Experience and Expression of Anger: Relationships with Gender, Gender Role Socialization, Depression, and Mental Health Functioning. Journal of Counseling Psychology. 1996; 43(2):158–65.
- Chung YC, Rhee MK, Lee YH, Park SH, Sohn CH, Hong SK, Lee BK, Chang PL, Yoon AR. A Standardization Study of Beck Depression Inventory 1-Korean version (K-BDI) : Reliability and Factor Analysis, The Korean Journal of Psychopathology. 1995; 4(1):77–95.
- Rhee MK, Lee YH, Jung HY, Choi JH, Kim SH, Kim YK, Lee SK. A Standardization Study of Beck Depression Inventory 2-Korean version (K-BDI): Validity, The Korean Journal of Psychopathology. 1995; 4(1):96–104.
- The Beck Depression Inventory. http://www.ibogaine.desk.nl/graphics/3639b1c_23.pdf. Date Accessed: 1978.
- Won HT, Lee HJ. Exploratory Study of the Relationship between Paranoid Tendency, Self-concept, and Self-consciousness. Proceedings of KPA Conference, Seoul, Korea. 1995. p.277–90.
- Lee PS, Han KS. The Comparative Study on Perceived Stress, ways of Coping, Stress Symptoms of Peptic Ulcer Patients and Healthy Person. The Korean Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 1996; 5 (6):39–50.
- Chambers L. The Relation among Self-reported Constructive and Destructive Anger Verbal Behavior and Resting Blood Pressure (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Dalhousie in Canada. 1999.
- Seo SG. Validation Study of the Korean Version of the Anger Behavior-verbal Scale. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2007; 26(1):239–50.
- Jeon HK. The Effect of Anger Expression as Medium on the Correlation between Attachment and Depression of College Students. The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling. 2014; 22(1):173–99.
- Jang HJ, Jeon MK. Relationship between Self-esteem and Mental Health according to Mindfulness of University Students. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sept; 8(21):1–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.