Total views : 166
Surface Changes in Primary Teeth after the Application of Children’s Fluoride Toothpaste to Prevent Early Childhood Cavities
Objectives: To evaluate the effect of primary teeth with children’s fluoride toothpaste on enamel remineralization. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Sixty enamel specimens were divided into three groups as follows: Group 1 served as the control group, in Group 2, children’s toothpaste without sodium fluoride (NaF) was applied to the teeth three times a day for three min, and in Group 3, children’s fluoride toothpaste (0.243% NaF) was applied to enamel for four weeks. Each primary tooth surface was measured by scanning electron microscopy (SEM; JSM-6300, JEOL, Japan). Findings: The children’s toothpaste containing 0.243% NaF promoted the enamel remineralization of the tooth surface from three weeks of treatment. When the surfaces of primary teeth were examined, the surfaces of teeth treated with toothpaste containing NaF were hardened and smooth. This study demonstrated that children’s fluoride toothpaste with NaF contribute to the improvement of children’s oral healthcare. Improvements/Applications: The children’s fluoride toothpaste containing 0.243% NaF suggests surface remineralization and prevents early childhood cavities.
Children’s Toothpaste, Early Childhood Cavities, Fluoride, Primary Tooth, Surface Change.
- Chun JY, Kang YH, Lee KH. A study on the use of dentifrice among Infants and preschoolers. Journal of Dental Hygienic Science. 2008; 8(4):267-74.
- Lee KH, Choi CH, Hong SJ. Relationship of the use of some fluoride containing dentifrice on the Korean market to children’s fluoride intake in different age groups. Journal of Korean Society Dental Hygienic. 2012; 12(5):881-96.
- Lee KH. Improvement of oral hygiene methods for early childhood. Journal of Korean Academy Pediatric Dental. 2007; 34(2):264-72.
- Harrison R, Wong T, Ewan C, Contreras B, Phung Y. Feeding practices and dental caries in an urban Canadian population of Vietnamese preschool children. Journal of Dental Child. 1997; 64(2):112-7.
- Kim MJ, Shun YK, Shim YS. A study of parental knowledge and attitude about infant oral health care. Journal of Korean Academy Pediatric Dental. 2000; 27(2):292-6.
- Marthaler TM. The value in caries prevention of other methods of increasing fluoride ingestion, apart from fluoridated water. International Dental Journal. 1967; 17(3):606-18.
- Lee SY, Lim SR, Cho YS. Remineralisation effect of fluoride on early caries lesions using a quantitative light-induced fluorescence-digital (QLF-D). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(S1):457-61.
- Ciancio SG. Agents for the management of plaque and gingivitis, Journal of Dental Research. 1992; 71(7):1450-4.
- Maryann C, Paul RW. The oral-B cross-action manual toothbrush: A 5-year literature review. Journal of Canadian Dental Associate. 2006; 72(4):323.
- Ahn JK, Kim JB. An experimental study on the effects of the tooth brushing instructional methods. Journal of Korean Academy Oral Health. 1985; 9(1):127-34.
- Lee SS, Paik DI, Kim JB. A study on the effects of the tooth brushing instruction methods in dental health education. Journal of Korean Academy Oral Health. 1990; 14(2):233-42.
- Chang KW, Kim JB. An experimental study on the effects of the tooth brushing instructional methods. Journal of Korean Academy Oral Health. 1987; 11(1):85-98.
- Holt RD, Murray JJ. Developments in fluoride toothpaste: an overview. Community Dental Health. 1997; 14(1):4-10.
- Richard ES. Saunders: US: A textbook of preventive dentistry, 2nd (edn). 1982; p. 403.
- Park SS. Gwangju: Univ. of Chonnam: Recognition of adults in Gwangju on dentifrice selection. 2009.
- Lijima Y, Takagi O, Ruben J. Caries Research: In vitro remineralization of in vivo and in vitro formed enamel lesions. 1999; 33(3):206-13.
- Levine RS. Remineralization of human carious dentine in vitro. Archives of Oral Biology. 1972; 17(6):1005-8.
- Koulourides T, Cameron B. Enamel remineralization as a factor in the pathogenesis of dental caries. Journal of Oral Pathology. 1980; 9(5):255-69.
- Hicks J, Garcia-Godoy F, Flaitz C. Biological factors in dental caries enamel structure and the caries process in the dynamic process of demineralization and remineralization (part 2). Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dental. 2004; 28(2):119-24.
- Johnson MF. Comparative efficacy of NaF and SMFP dentifrices in caries prevention: a meta-analytic overview. Caries Research. 1993; 27:328-36.
- Steven MA, William PP, Carole MH. Comparison of the use of a child and an adult dentifrice by a sample of preschool children. Pediatric Dental. 1997; 19(2):99-103.
- Wilson PR, Beynon AD. Mineralization differences between human deciduous and permanent enamel measured by quantitative microradiography. Archives Oral Biology. 1989; 34(2):85-8.
- An SY, Shim YS, Park SY. Aesthetic Rehabilitation in Maxillary Anterior Tooth with Early Childhood Caries Using ZIRKIZ® Crown: Long-Term Follow-up. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(25):1-5.
- Eisenburger M, Addy M, Hughes JA, Shellis RP. Effect of time on the remineralization of enamel by synthetic saliva after citric acid erosion. Caries Research. 2001; 35:2011-15.
- Ammari JB, Baqain ZH, Ashley PF. Effects of programs for prevention of early childhood caries. A systematic review. Medical Principles and Practice. 2007; 16(6):437-42.
- Yamazaki H, Margolis HC. Enhanced enamel remineralization under acidic conditions in vitro. Journal of Dental Research. 2008; 87(6):569-74.
- Kim HY, Nam SH, Jeong MH. Influence of Microhardness and Mineral Content on Fluoride Materials Containing Low Concentration with Sodium Fluoride. Journal of Korea Contents Association. 2013; 13(4):312-9.
- Von der Fehr FR. A study of carious lesions produced in vivo in unabraded, abraded, exposed, and F-treated human enamel surfaces, with emphasis on the x-ray dense outer layer. Archives Oral Biology. 1967; 12(7):797-814.
- Chun JY, Lee HO, Kang YH. The amount of dentifrice used by opening diameter size and current status of commercial dentifrices for children in Korea. Journal of Dental Hygienic Science. 2010; 10(3):541-53.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.