Total views : 249
Thermo-Gravimetric Analysis of Wood Saw Dust for Evaluation of Kinetics Parameter
Objectives: To study the thermal stability of wood saw dust for the determination of kinetic parameters (activation energy, frequency factor and kinetic rate constant). Methods/Analysis: Wood saw dust was characterized for proximate (moisture, volatile matter, fixed carbon and ash contents) and ultimate (C, H, N and O) analysis which were performed using CHNSO analyzer and chemical analysis (with using FTIR); the thermal stability was analyzed using bomb calorimeter and TGA instrument. These methods are ASTM based and the kinetic calculation was performed using thermo-gram of TGA at the heating rate of 50oC/min. at 1000oC. Findings: Biomass provides the solution to use it and produce the low cost, energy efficient and clean energy in the form of briquetted biomass, syngas, and methane gas. This study indicated the usability of wood biomass as beneficial due to low cost and eco-friendly nature. Wood has higher volatile matter (80.9%), calorific value (4600 Kcal/kg) and high activation energy (110.44 Kcal/mol) and low ash content (2%) which indicated that it can be used as a solid fuel. It has high potential for use as an alternative source for bio-gasification, bio-oil, bio-methanol and bio-ethanol production. The advantages of using wood directly areas a direct source for cook stove, gasifiers and biogas and the remaining char can be used for activation of charcoal and combustion for heating. Novelty/Improvement: The complete study for the characterization of wood saw dust for the kinetic analysis is less reported. This article reports the complete characterization of wood for biochemical analysis for determination of cellulose, hemicelluloses and lignin by ASTM method, proximate analysis (dry basis) by ASTM method and ultimate analysis by CHNSO analyzer, calorific value, determination of functional groups by FTIR and TGA determination of activation energy by TGA thermo-gram, higher heating value by bomb calorimeter.
Calorific Value and Proximate Analysis, TGA (Thermogravemetric Analysis).
- Karaosmanoglu, Angin D, Sensoz S. Characterization of the bio-oil of rapeseed cake. Energy Sources. 2005; 27(13):1217–23.
- Anthony BV, Peacocke GVC. Fast pyrolysis processes for biomass. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2000 Mar; 4(1):1–73.
- Haiping Y, Yan R, Chen H, Dong HL, Chuguang Z.Characteristics of hemicellulose, cellulose and lignin pyrolysis. Journal of Fuel. 2007 Aug; 86(12-13):1781–8.
- Singh CAP, Singh N, Sarma AK. A comparative analysis of kinetic parameters from TGDTA of Jatrophacurcas oil, biodiesel, petroleum diesel and B50 using different methods. Journal of Fuel. 2012 Dec; 109:217–24.
- Tuya B. Abdelkar C, Manuel GP, Denis R, Christian R. Colloidal properties of bio-oils obtained by vacuum pyrolysis of softwood bark. Characterization of water-soluble and water -insoluble fractions. Energy and Fuels. 2004 Apr; 18(3):704–12.
- Jacquet P, Leonard A. Annual book of ASTM standards. American Society for Testing of Materials, USA International; 1983.
- Skoog DA, James J. Principles of instrumental analysis. 4th ed. Saunders College, Stanford University and James Madison University; 1992.
- El-barbary MH, Philip HS. Characterization of fast pyrolysis bio-oils produced from pretreated pine wood. Journal of Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 2009 May; 153(1-3):3–13.
- Roozbeh H, Arami-Niya A, Ashmi Wan DWM, Sahu JN. Preparation and characterization of activated carbon from apple waste by microwave-assisted phosphoric acid activation: Application in methylene blue adsorption. Bioresources. 2013 Apr; 8(2):2950–63.
- Piyali D, Sreelatha T, Anuradha G. Bio-oil from pyrolysis of cashew nut shell characterization and related properties. Biomass and Bioenergy. 2004 Aug; 27(3):265–75.
- Gunter M, Christian S, Hubert V, Alireza K, Andrea P. FTIR-ATR spectroscopic analysis of changes in wood properties during particle and fibreboard production of hard and softwood trees. Bioresources. 2009; 4(1):49–71.
- Popescu C-M, Popescu M-C, Singurel G, Vasile C, Argyropoulos SD, Willfor S. Spectral characterization of eucalyptus wood. Applied Spectroscopy. 2007 Nov; 61(11):1168–78.
- Aclkgoz C, Onay O, Kockar OM. Fast pyrolysis of linseed: Product yields and compositions. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis. 2004 Jun; 71(2):417–29.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.