Total views : 227
Impact on Soil Properties by the use of Sewage for Irrigation
Objectives: In this study, crops were irrigated with sewage and groundwater. The soil was tested for various characteristics during the growth time of the crop. Methods/Statistical Analysis: To investigate the beneficial impacts of domestic waste water on soil properties, groundwater and domestic wastewater samples are discharged into the soil separately. After 10 days, 15 days, 20 days of application of wastewater soil parameters N, P, K & pH of two soil sample containing sewage and groundwater was determined. Findings: The use of the sewage improves the physicochemical properties of the soil as compared to the application of groundwater. Sewage leads to increase of crop yield with an improved fertility status of the soil. There is a significant change in the properties of the soils irrigated with sewage and groundwater. Thus, use of sewage for irrigation is a considerable method for the management of wastewater. Applications: Farming with wastewater is a potential method to decrease the rise of freshwater demand.
Crops, Domestic Wastewater, Soil Parameters (N, P, K, O.C).
- Mojiri A, Hamidi AA, Shuokr QA, Gholami A, Mahnoosh A. Impact of Urban Wastewater on Soil Properties and Lepidium sativum in an Arid Region. International Journal of Scientific Research in Environmental Sciences. 2013; 1(1):7–15.
- Intizar H, Raschid L, Hanjra MA, Marikar F, Hoek WVD.Framework for analyzing socioeconomic, health and environmental impacts of wastewater use in agriculture IWMI working paper 26. International Water Management Institute. Colombo, Sri Lanka: 2001. p. 1–33.
- Mekki A, Dhouib A, Sayadi S. Review: Effects of olive mill wastewater application on soil properties and plants growth. International Journal of Recycling of Organic Waste in Agriculture. 2013 Dec; 2(15):1–7.
- Sewage/wastewater treatment technologies: A review.2011 Nov 17. Available from: http://www.sadgurupublications.com/ContentPaper/2011/3_122_1(1)2011.pdf
- Ambica A, Venkatraman K. Wetland Wastewater Treatment System for Small City Suburbs : A Review.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(32):1–4.
- Panaskar DB, Pawar RS. Effect of textile mill effluent on growth of Sorghum vulgare and Vigna aconitifolia seedlings. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2011 Mar; 4(3):1–6.
- Singh PK, Deshbhratar PB, Ramteke DS. Effects of sewage wastewater irrigation on soil properties, crop yield and environment. Agricultural Water Management.2012 Jan; 103:100–4.
- Comparative Effect of Secondary Treated Waste Water Irrigation on Soil Quality Parametersunder D ifferentCrops. 2010 May 16. Available from: http:// www.globalsciencebooks.info/Online/GSBOnline/ images/2011/AJPSB_5(SI1)/AJPSB_5(SI1)41-55o.pdf
- Impact of Sewage and Industrial Effluents on SoilPlant Health. 2012 March 07. Available from: http:// www.intechopen.com/books/industrial-waste/ impact-of-sewer-water-and-industrial-wastewatersonsoil-plant-health
- Kiran DL, Krishna DL , Manik VS, Ramteke DS. Impact of Domestic Wastewater Irrigation on Soil Properties and Crop Yield, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications. 2012 Oct; 2(10):1–7.
- Agrawal V, Bhagat R, Thikare N. Impact of Domestic Sewage for Irrigation on Properties of Soil. International Journal of Research Studies in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2014 Aug; 1(5):60–4.
- Yang B, Kong X, Cui B, Jin D, Deng Y, Zhuang X, Zhuang G, Bai Z. Impact of Rural Domestic Wastewater Irrigation on the Physicochemical and Microbiological Properties of Pak choi and Soil. Water. 2015 Apr; 7(5):1825–39.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.