Total views : 293
Traffic Planning for Small Cities: A Basic Approach
Background/Objectives: 21st century is the era of urban growth and transportation development which is the major element of the development of nation. As per the growth of population, the need of transportation system has been increased rapidly. For the better transportation system, better traffic facility is considered as a prime element of it. Objective comprises of the improvements in traffic system by congestion and accident reduction, parking and traffic signal planning and to provide a reliable method for traffic analysis of small cities. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Traffic congestion, parking problem, accidents etc. nowadays are the major problems related to transportation facilities. So, there are certain parameters to cope with the transportation problems such as field study, designing & planning, accident analysis, economic evaluation, regulation, planning and administrative functions. In order to perform the traffic planning, there is need to observe the traffic conditions, traffic demand, vehicular characteristics, origin & destination and accident studies. Findings: It covers vehicle growth statics in the city with analysis and forecasting of the vehicle demand for the future. Reduction in accident is the success of efficient traffic system, so its study helps to identify the black spot which helps in improvement of traffic system and planning to minimize the accidents with proper traffic planning. Applications/Improvements: The method discussed is applicable for the aspects of the traffic and transportation planning for small or mid – sized cities. It helps in analyzing the major elements of the traffic systems. Traffic planning for a mid-sized city is an approach towards formulating the methodologies to cope with the traffic related issues for the development of better transportation facilities.
Congestion, Traffic Forecasting, Traffic Planning, Traffic System, Urban Development.
- Mitchell RB, Rapkin C. New York, NY: Columbia University Press: Urban Traffic: A Function of Land Use. 1954.
- Weiner E. US Department of Transportation: Urban Transportation Planning in the United States: An Historical Overview (fifth edition). Report DOT-T-97-24. 1997.
- Florian M, Gaudry M, Lardinois C. A two-dimensional framework for the understanding of transportation planning models. Transportation Research B. 1988 Dec; 22(6):411-19.
- Gopikrishna J, Shanmugapriyan V. Critical Study on Road Inventory and Traffic Circulation for Ensuring Road Safety in CEG Campus. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(32):1-4.
- Udit Batra, Mandar V Sarode. Traffic Surveying & Analysis, RATMIG, IJAIEM. 2013; p. 1-8.
- Singh, Sitesh Kumar. Study of Parking Patterns for Different Parking Facilities. International Journal of Civil and Structural Engineering Research. 2014 Oct; 2(2):35-9.
- Road safety and motor vehicle accident: Surveying global and US data. Date accessed: 03/08/2013: Available from: http://journalistsresource.org/studies/environment/transportation/ road-safetymotor-vehicle-accidents-surveyingglobal-us-data#.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.