Total views : 2178
Study of Beam-Column Junction based on Variations in Concrete Grade at Junction
Objectives: A beam-column joint has to transfer the shear forces, bending moments and other related structural response parameters efficiently. The present paper aims at studying the behavior of beam-column junction based on variations in concrete grade at junction. Analysis: To increase the load carrying capacity of a joint, a higher grade of concrete is used at a joint and also up to 1.5D in the direction of beam from face of column, to shift or relocate the plastic hinge from the interface towards the beam. The different specimens were prepared in a T-shaped mould by changing the grade of concrete at beam-column joint and these samples were tested after 7 and 28 days. Findings: Study reveals that use of M20 or M25 grade of concrete at joint and up to 1.5D (D is the depth of beam) of length of beam (M15 grade of concrete in rest of mould) increases the load carrying capacity approximately to about 20% when compared with M20 or M25 grade of concrete at junction and M15 grade in the remaining mould. The most important finding is that the use of higher grade of concrete at a joint and up to 1.5D of length of beam, shifts the failure away from the beam-column interface Thus, a beam hinging mechanism is achieved which is a ductile type of failure compared to beam-column brittle interface failure and there is approximately 15-30% increase in load carrying capacity, in comparison with higher concrete grade only at a joint core. This is a simple and efficient method of preventing the beam-column joint failure. Improvement/Applications: Based on the test results there is remarkable increase in the load carrying capacity of beam-column joint which enhances the rigidity of beam column joint in terms of strength and stiffness.
Beam-Column Joint, Brittle Failure, Concrete Grade, Load Carrying Capacity, Strength.
- Pampanin S, Christopoulos C, Chin T H. Development and validation of a metallic haunch seismic retrofit solution for existing under-designed RC frame buildings. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics. 2006 Sep; 35(14):1739–66.
- Dalalbashi A, Ronagh E. Plastic hinge relocation in RC joints as an alternative method of retrofitting using FRP. Composite Structures. 2012 Jul; 94(8):2433–9.
- Realfonzo R, Napoli A, Pinilla. Cyclic behavior of RC beam-column joints strengthened with FRP systems. Construction and Building Materials. 2014 Mar;54:282–97.
- Esmaeeli E, Barros J, Cruz J, Fasan L, Prizzi F. Retrofitting of interior RC beam-column joints with CRPF strengthened SHCC: Cast-in-place solution. Composite Structures. 2015 Apr; 122:456–67.
- Pampanin S, Calvi GM, Moratti M. Seismic behavior of RC beam-column joints designed for gravity loads. In: 12th European conference on earthquake engineering, London: Elsevier Science Ltd; 2002.
- Hakuto S, Park R, Tanaka H. Seismic load tests on interior and exterior beam-column joints with substandard reinforcing details. ACI Structural Journal. 2000 Jan; 97(1):11–25.
- Yilmaz N, Avsar O. Structural damages of the May 19, 2011 Kutahya-Simav earthquake in Turkey. Natural Hazards. 2013 Jun; 69(1):981–1001.
- Yurdakul O, Avsar O. Strengthening of substandard reinforced concrete beam-column joints by external post-tension rods. Engineering Structures. 2016 Jan; 107:9–22.
- El-Amoury T, Ghobarah A. Seismic rehabilitation of beam–column joint using GFRP sheets. Engineering Structures. 2002 Nov; 24(11):1397–407.
- Beschi C, Meda A, Riva P. Column and joint retrofitting with studies high performance reinforced concrete jacketing. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics. 2011 Jun; 15(7):989–1014.
- Engindeniz M, Kahn LF, Zureick AH. Repair and strengthening of reinforced concrete beam-column joints: state of art. ACI Structural Journal. 2005 Mar–Apr; 102(2):1–14.
- Tsonos AG. Effectiveness of CFRP-jackets and RC-jackets in post-earthquake and pre-earthquake retrofitting of beam-column sub assemblages. Engineering Structures. 2008 Mar; 30(3):777–93.
- Tsonos AG. Performance enhancement of RC building columns and beam-column joints through shotcrete jacketing. Engineering Structures. 2010 Mar; 32(3):726–40.
- Esmaeeli E, Barros JAO, Baghi H. Hybrid Composite Plates (HCP) for shear strengthening of RC beams. In Minho Uo, editor, 11th international symposium on fiber reinforced polymers for reinforced concrete structures (FRPRCS11), Guimaraes; 2013. p.1–9.
- Dalalbashi A, Eslami A, Ronagh H R. Numerical investigation on the hysteretic behavior of RC joints retrofitted with different CFRP configurations. Journal of Composites for Construction. 2013 Jan; 17(3):371–82.
- Hosseini M, Ashrafi HR, Beiranvand P, Ghanbari B. Nonlinear analysis of torsion in reinforced concrete members after developing initial crack. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(7):1–17.
- Ghobarah A, Said A. Shear strengthening of beam-column joints. Engineering structures. 2002 Jul; 24(7):881–8.
- Engindeniz M, Kahn LF, Abdul-Hamid Z. Repair and strengthening of reinforced concrete beam-column joints: State of the art. ACI structural journal. 2005 Mar; 102(2):187–97.
- Vijaya B, Selvan SS. Comparative study on the strength and durability properties of concrete with manufactured sand. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(36):1–7.
- Sivakumar D, Hemalatha T, Rajeshwaran R, Murugan N, Kotteeswaran M. Size effect studies on concrete made of natural and artificial sand. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):1–6.
- Leon RT. Shear strength and hysteretic behavior of interior beam-column joints. Structural Journal. 1990 Jan; 87(1):3–11.
- Paulay T, Park R, Preistley MJ. Reinforced concrete beam-column joints under seismic actions. In Journal Proceedings. 1978 Nov; 75(11):585–93.
- Hwang SJ, Lee HJ. Analytical model for predicting shear strengths of exterior reinforced concrete beam-column joints for seismic resistance. Structural Journal. 1999 Sep; 96(5):846–58.
- Megget LM, Park R. Reinforced concrete exterior beam-column joints under seismic loading. New Zealand Engineering. 1971 Nov; 26(11):341–63.
- Nie J, Bai Y, Cai CS. New connection system for confined concrete columns and beams. I: Experimental study. Journal of structural engineering. 2008 Dec; 134(12):1787–99.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.