Total views : 444
Comparative Study of Nano-Silica Induced Mortar, Concrete and Self-Compacting Concrete – A Review
Objective: Nanotechnology is the most emerging business in modern age. Concrete, mortar matrix shows demandable change with inclusion of nano-silica. This review has generalised the effect of nano-silica on good scale. Method: Demandable analyses of different researches related to Nano-silica were thoroughly observed and persistent results were accepted in this paper. Finding: Use of nano materials has given new and developed path for improvement towards construction. Among that great stock of nano materials, our preferred choice is nano-silica. This is a review paper which is generalised from number of researches done by great intellectuals. In this paper, the use of nano-silica in mortar, concrete and self compacting concrete has been profoundly analysed. On the basis of minute study, it was deduced that nano-silica can prove a worthy material towards renovation of modern market strength demand. In case of mortar, concrete it showed positive impact towards mechanical properties. Study about filler tendencies of nano-silica further proved its greater concern towards pozzolanic activities which in-turn carved a thought that C-S-H gel is produced in acceptable amount. Throughout this paper, impact of nano-silica towards fresh and hardened properties of concrete, mortar and Self compacting concrete are reviewed and on the basis of practical approach its optimal usage is analysed in all the cases. Applications: Nano-silica can be effectively replaced with cement as its pozzolanic nature is somehow similar to that of binding agent. Introduction of nano-silica in concrete or mortar is narrowly economical as compared to cement. Construction with demand of high compressive, flexural and split-tensile strength in effective and economical sense can vouch for nano-silica replacement.
Concrete, Mortar, Nano-Silica, Self Compacting Concrete.
- Sayed ABDEL-BAKY, Yehia S, Khalil IS. Influence of nano-silica addition on properties of fresh and hardened cement mortar. Brno, Czech Republic; 2013. p. 1–6.
- Tobón JI, Restrepo OJ, Payá J. Comparative analysis of performance of portland cement blended with nanosilica and silica fume. Dyna; 2010 Sep. p. 37–46.
- Ltifi M, Guefrech A, Mounanga P, Khelidj A. Experimental study of the effect of addition of nano-silica on the behaviour of cement mortars.11th International Conference on the Mechanical Behaviour of Materials, Procedia Engineering; 2011 Dec; 10. p. 900–5.
- Bagheri A, Parhizkar T, Madani H, Raisghasemi A. The influence of pyrogenic nanosilicas with different surface areas and aggregation states on cement hydration. Asian Journal of Civil Engineering.2013 Dec; 14(6):783–96.
- Quercia G, Husken G, Brouwers HJH. Water demand of amorphous nano silica and its impact on the workability of cement paste. Cement and Concrete Research. 2012 Feb; 42(2):344–57.
- Sonebi M, Garcia-Taengua E, Hossain KMA, Khatib J, Lachemi M. Effect of nanosilica addition on the fresh properties and shrinkage of mortars with fly ash and super plasticizer. Construction and Building Materials. 2015 Jun; 84:269–76.
- Berra M, Carassiti F, Mangialardi T, Paolini AE, Sebastiani M. Effects of nanosilica addition on workability and compressive strength of portland cement pastes. Construction and Building Materials. 2012 Oct; 35:666–75.
- Senff L, Labrincha JA, Ferreira VM, Hotza D, Repette WL. Effect of nano-silica on rheology and fresh properties of cement pastes and mortars. Construction and Building Materials. 2009 Jul; 23(7):2487–91.
- Kawashima S, Hou P, Corr DJ, Shah SP. Modification of cement-based materials with nanoparticles. Cement and Concrete Composites. 2013 Feb; 36:8–15.
- Hou PK, Kawashima S, Wang KJ, Corr DJ, Qian JS, Shah SP. Effects of colloidal nanosilica on rheological and mechanical properties of fly ash–cement mortar. Cement and Concrete Composites. 2013 Jan; 35(1):12–22.
- Madani H, Bagheri A, Parhizkar T. The pozzolanic reactivity of monodispersed nanosilica hydrosols and their influence on the hydration characteristics of Portland cement. Cement and Concrete Research. 2012 Dec; 42(12):1563–70.
- Haruehansapong S, Pulngern T, Chucheepsakul S. Effect of the particle size of nanosilica on the compressive strength and the optimum replacement content of cement mortar containing nano-SiO2. Construction and Building Materials. 2014 Jan; 50:471–7.
- Stefanidou M, Papayianni I. Influence of nano-SiO2 on the Portland cement pastes. Composites Part B. 2012 Sep; 43(6):2706–10.
- Sabdono P, Sustiawan F, Fadlillah DA. The effect of nano-cement content to the compressive strength of mortar. The 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Civil Engineering Structures and Construction Materials, Procedia Engineering; 2014 Dec, 95. p. 386–95.
- Senff L, Hotza D, Lucas S, Ferreira VM, Labrincha JA. Effect of nano-SiO2 and nano-TiO2 addition on the rheological behaviour and the hardened properties of cement mortars. Materials Science and Engineering. 2012 Jan; 532:354–61.
- Roychand R, Silva SD, Law D, Setunge S. Micro and nano engineered high volume ultrafine fly ash cement composite with and without additives. International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials. 2016 Mar; 10(1):113–24.
- Roychand R, Silva SD, Law D, Setunge S. High volume fly ash cement composite modified with nano silica, hydrated lime and set accelerator. Materials and Structures. 2016; 49(5):1997–2008.
- Hussain ST, Sastry KVSGK. Study of strength properties of concrete by using micro silica and nano silica. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology. 2014 Oct; 3(10):1–6.
- Saloma, Nasution A, Imran I, Abdullah M. Improvement of concrete durability by nonmaterials. Procedia Engineering. 2015 Nov; 125:608–12.
- Riahi S, Nazari A. Compressive strength and abrasion resistance of concrete containing SiO2 and CuO nano particles in different curing media. Science China Technological Sciences. 2011 Sep; 54(9):2349–57.
- Potapov VV, Tumanov AV, Zakurazhnov MS, Cerdan AA, Kashutin AN, Shalaev KS. Enhancement of concrete durability by introducing sio2 nano particles. Glass Physics and Chemistry. 2013 Jul; 39(4):425–30.
- Tadayon MKM, Sepehri H, Sepehri M. Influence of nano-silica particles on mechanical properties and permeability of concrete. The 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Construction Materials and Technologies; 2010 Jun. p. 1–7.
- Effect of nano silica on mechanical properties and durability of normal strength concrete [Internet]. 2012 [cited 2012 Dec 28]. Available from: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/ace.2012.58.issue-4/v.10169-012-0023-y/v.10169-012-0023-y.xml
- Shamsai A, Peroti S, Rahmani K, Rahemi L. Effect of water-cement ratio on abrasive strength, porosity and permeability of nano-silica concrete. World Applied Sciences Journal. 2012; 17(8):929–33.
- Influence of colloidal Nano-SiO2 addition as silica fume replacement material in properties of concrete [Internet]. 2010 [Cited 2010 Jan]. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266287192_Influence_of_Colloidal_Nano-SiO_2_Addition_as_Silica_Fume_Replacement_Material_in_Properties_of_Concrete
- Zhang MH, Islam J. Use of nano-silica to reduce setting time and increase early strength of concretes with high volumes of fly ash or slag. Construction and Building Materials. 2012 Apr; 29:573–80.
- Said AM, Zeidan MS, Bassuoni MT, Tian Y. Properties of concrete incorporating nano-silica. Construction and Building Materials. 2012 Nov; 36:838–44.
- Zhang MH, Islam J, Peethamparan S. Use of nano-silica to increase early strength and reduce setting time of concretes with high volumes of slag. Cement and Concrete Composites. 2012 May; 34(5):650–62.
- Givi AN, Rashid SA, Aziz FNA, Salleh MAM. Experimental investigation of the size effects of SiO2 nano-particles on the mechanical properties of binary blended concrete. Composites Part B. 2010 Dec; 41(8):673–7.
- Jo BW, Kim CH, Lim JH. Investigations on the development of powder concrete with nano-SiO2 particles. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering. 2007 Jan; 11(1):37–42.
- Maheswaran S, Bhuvaneshwari B, Palani GS, Iyer NR, Kalaiselvam S. An overview on the influence of nano silica in concrete and a research initiative. Research Journal of Recent Sciences. 2012 Dec; 2:17–24.
- Supit SWM, Shaikh FUA. Durability properties of high volume fly ash concrete containing nano-silica. Materials and Structures. 2015 Aug; 48(8):2431–45.
- Beigi MH, Berenjian J, Omran OL, Nik AS, Nikbin IM. An experimental survey on combined effects of fibbers and nanosilica on the mechanical, rheological, and durability properties of self-compacting concrete. Materials and Design. 2013 Sep; 50:1019–29.
- Jalal M, Mansouri E, Sharifipour M, Pouladkhan AR. Mechanical, rheological, durability and micro-structural properties of high performance self-compacting concrete containing SiO2 micro and nanoparticles. Materials and Design. 2012 Feb; 34:389–400.
- Ali N, Shadi R. The effects of SiO2 nanoparticles on physical and mechanical properties of high strength compacting concrete. Composites Part B. 2011 Apr; 42(3):570–8.
- Iyappan M, Jagannathan A. High strength self compacting concrete with nano Silica. International Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering and Development. 2014 Aug–Sep; 4(5):163–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.