Total views : 135
Advanced Closed Loop Control of PMDC Motor Drive using Boost Converter Fed from a Photo Voltaic Panel
The objective of the proposed system is to drive a Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) algorithm based solar powered Permanent Magnet Direct Current (PMDC) motor that utilizes P&O (Perturb and Observe) method. Cost free source which is solar energy is captured and by P&O method of maximum power point tracking, the PMDC motor is able to drive. The output of solar panel is stepped up to desirable level using boost converter. Closed loop controlling of PMDC motor is done by using PI controller. PI controller will impart a constant output to motor. The programming part is done in PIC microcontroller. Simulation is done using MATLAB/Simulink and the PMDC motor characteristics are analyzed and studied. Taking into account the high power bearing capability of PMDC motor, it has got wide scope in agricultural fields. In PMDC, speed and armature current is taken as reference to the PI-controller considering some values of speed as reference. The output signal of the PI-controller is connected to another switch. A diode is connected parallel to the MOSFET to get a constant voltage. With the help of the boost converter it is proved that the boosting of voltage at required level can be done to drive a PMDC Motor such that boost converter forms a good interface between the photo voltaic panel and load. Speed of PMDC motor is controlled by proportional plus integral controller has controlled effectively. The hardware implementation of the proposed system is the future step in the work.
Boost Converter, Buck Converter, Maximum Power Point Tracking, Photovoltaic Panel, PMDC Motor.
- Gonzalez J AS, Colon JC, Leon ROD, Santiago VL, OrtizRivera EI. Three Phase Induction Motor Drive Using Fly back Converter and PWM Inverter Fed from a Single Photovoltaic Panel. IEEE. 2011; 11:1-6.
- Hart DW. New York: Prentice Hall: Introduction to Power Electronics, 1st edn. 2010; p. 118. PMCid:PMC2966764.
- Mohan N, Undel TM, Robbins W. US: John Wiley and Sons Inc.: Power Electronics. Converters, Applications and Design, 3rd (edn). 2003.
- Sharaf AM, Elbakush E, Atlas IH. An error driven PID controller for maximum utilization of photovoltaic powered pmdc motor drives. IEEE, Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering. 2007; p.129-32.
- Devi MM, Chayapathy V. Closed loop implementation of speed control of a brushed PMDC motor of an X-ray system and validation of reliability of the controller. International Journal of Technical Research and Applications. 2015; 3(5):204-09.
- Rebei N, Gammoudi R, Hmidet A, Hasnaoui O. Experimental Implementation Techniques of P and O MPPT Algorithm for PV Pumping System. Turisia: MultiConference on Systems, Signals Devices. 2014; p. 1-6.
- Nedumgatt JJ, Jayakrishnan KB, Kothari DP. Perturb and Observe MPPT Algorithm for Solar PV Systems-Modelling and Simulation. India Conference. 2011; p. 1-6.
- Murugananth G, Vijayan S, Muthukrishnan S. Analysis of Closed Loop Chopper Controlled Drive for PMDC Motors using PID Controller. International Organization of Scientific Research Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. 2012; 2(3):32-4. Crossref
- Malla SG, Mishra BCN. Photovoltaic based Water Pumping System. IEEE, International conference on Energy, Automation and Signal. 2011; p. 1-4. Crossref.
- Narayana PB, Reddy BRS. Motepalli P, Debey S. Design and Simulation of Solar DC Pump in Simulink. International conference on Energy Efficient Technologies for Sustainability. 2013; p. 429-31. Crossref.
- Chen PC, Yan BS, Liu CL, Wang SC, Liu YH. A Comparative Study on MPPT for Photovoltaic Generation Systems. IEEE. 2016; p. 1-6.
- Kumar R, Singh B. Solar PV array fed water pumping system using SEPIC converter based BLDC motor drive. IEEE. 2014; p. 1-5. Crossref.
- Kumar R, Singh B. Buck-Boost converter fed BLDC motor drive for solar PV array based water pumping. IEEE. 2014; p. 1-5. Crossref.
- Chandrasekaran N, Ganeshprabu B, Thyagarajah K. Comparative study of Photovoltaic pumping system using a DC motor and PMDC motor. IEEE. 2012; p. 129-32.
- Reddy MSK, Kalyani C, Uthra M, Elangovan D. A Small Signal Analysis of DC-DC Boost Converter. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(2):1-6. Crossref.
- Anandhi TS, Premkumar S. Application of DC-DC Boost Converter for Solar Powered Traffic Light with Battery Backup. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(32):1-5. Crossref.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.