Total views : 440
A Review on Study on Effect of Various Admixtures on Geotechnical Properties of Expansive Soils
Objectives: Waste materials can be used as geotechnical admixtures to improve geotechnical properties of black cotton soils as well as curb environmental degradation. Methods: The aim of this paper is to provide a clear understanding of the effect of geotechnical admixtures on the properties of expansive soils through selective reference to some of the literature. Experimental observations such as maximum dry density, optimum moisture content, California bearing ratio and unconfined compressive strength are reviewed. A comparative study is based on the proposed optimum combinations of admixtures and the geotechnical properties of expansive soil. Findings: Addition of geotechnical admixtures alters the physical and compaction characteristics of cohesive soils. Through thorough comparative studies of the existing researches it can be inferred that the combinations of admixtures and expansive soil improve the CBR value, UCS and decrease swelling index of soft soils to an acceptable range and aid in achieving economic design of pavement. Applications: • Stabilization of black cotton soil. • Optimum use of admixtures to enhance the geotechnical properties of black cotton soil. • Construction of pavements over black cotton soil. • Slope stability of embankment construction over black cotton soil.
Admixtures, Black Cotton Soil, California Bearing Ratio, Unconfined Compressive Strength.
- Mishra B. A study on engineering behavior of black cotton soil and its stabilization by use of lime. International Journal of Science and Research. 2015 Nov; 4(11): 1–5.
- Tiwari A, Mahiyar H K. Experimental study on stabilization of black cotton soil by fly ash, coconut coir fiber and crushed glass. International Journal of Engineering Technology and Advanced Engineering. 2015 Nov; 4(11): 1–4.
- Ghosh P. Fibre Science and Technology. First Edition. Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company: New Delhi; 2004.
- Olufowobi J, Ogundoju A, Michael B, Adrinlewo O. Clay soil stabilization using powdered glass. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology. 2014 Oct; 9(05): 541–58.
- Suresh K, Padmavathi V, Sultana A. Experimental study on stabilization of black cotton soil with stone dust and fibers. Proceedings of 48th Indian Geotechnical Conference; India; 2009. p. 1–5.
- Sarkar R. Geotechnical characterization and utilization of pond ash-an Industrial waste. Keynote Speech. International Brain Storming Workshop on Solid Waste Management; 2013.
- Ismail K N, Hussain K, Idris S M. Physical, Chemical and mineralogical properties of fly ash. Journal of Nuclear and Related Technology. 2007 Jul; 4: 47–51.
- Sarkar R, Abbas S M, Shahu J T. A comparative study of geotechnical behaviour lime stabilized pond ash from Delhi region. International Journal of GEOMATE. 2012 Sep; 3(01): 273–279.
- Patil B M, Patil K A. Improvement in properties of subgrade soil by using moorum and RBI grade 81. International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research. 2013 May; 4(05): 1–4.
- Razvi S S, Ahmed S M, Ahmed S R, Khaja P S, Daud S G, Patil J A. Study on stabilization of soil using RBI Grade 81. International Journal of Innovative Research in Advanced Engineering. 2015 May; 2(05): 1–7.
- Manjunath K R, Rohith L. Effect of stone dust on the strength characteristics of Black Cotton Soil stabilized with rice husk ash. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2015 Sep; 2(06): 1–5.
- Singh R R, Mittal S. Importance of local subgrade soil for road construction by the use of coconut coir fiber. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology. 2014 May; 3(05): 1–5.
- Kumar V R, Vikranth J. Application of Coconut Coir and Fly ash in Sub grade strengthening. The International Journal of Engineering and Science. 2014 Dec; 3(12): 48–54.
- Patidar A, Mahiyar H K. An experimental study on stabilization of Black Cotton Soil using HDPE wastage fibres, stone dust and lime. Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology. 2014 Dec; 6(04): 1–9.
- Karthik S, Ashok Kumar E, Gowtham P, Elango G, Gokul D, Thangaraj S. Soil stabilization by using fly ash. Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering. 2014 Jan; 10(06): 20–26.
- Mehta A, Parate K, Ruprai B S, Stabilization of black cotton soil by fly ash. International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering and Management. 2013. p. 1–5.
- Negi A S, Faizan M, Siddharth D P, Singh R. Soil stabilization using lime. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2013 Feb; 2(02): 1–6.
- Mudgal A, Sarkar R, Sahu A K. Effect of lime and stone dust in the geotechnical properties of black cotton soil. International Journal of GEOMATE. 2014 Dec; 7(02): 1033–1039.
- Kilabanur P, Ahmad T, Bhagabati D, Kumar N, Yasaswini S. Stabilization of black cotton soil using envirobase and sodium silicate with lime. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research. 2015 Jun; 4(06): 1–5.
- Singh S, Vasaikar H. Stabilization of black cotton soil using Lime. International Journal of Science and Research. 2015 May; 4(05): 1–5.
- Raut J M, Bajad S P, Khadeshwar S R. Stabilization of expansive soil using fly ash and moorum. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2014 Jul; 3 (07): 1–5.
- Madurwar K V, Dahale, Burile P P. Comparative Study of Black Cotton Soil Stabilization with RBI Grade 81 and Sodium Silicate. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2013 Feb; 2(02): 1–7.
- Shrivastava D, Singhai A K, Yadav R K. Effect of lime and rice husk ash on engineering properties of black cotton soil. International Journal of Engineering Research and Science and Technology. 2014 May; 3(02): 1–7.
- Brooks M R. Soil stabilization with fly ash and rice husk ash. International Journal of Research and Reviews in Applied Sciences. 2009 Dec; 1(3): 1–9.
- Patil P, Mahiyar H K. An experimental study of black cotton soil, stabilized with rice husk ash, fly ash and lime. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 2014 Nov; 3(11): 660–65.
- Agarwal N. Effect of stone dust on some geotechnical properties of soil. Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering. 2015 Jan-Feb; 12 (01): 61–64.
- Sohail Ali M, Sunil Koranne S. Performance analysis of expansive soil treated with stone dust and fly ash. Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. 2011; 16(1): 973–982.
- Bhushan S, Kumar R, Prakash V. Stability of clay soil using rice husk ash and stone dust. International Journal of Enhanced Research in Educational Development. 2015 Oct; 3 (5): 40–47.
- George T S, Alice T V, Mini M I. Improvement of kaolinite clay subgrade using coir fiber waste. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 2013 Mar; 3(03): 1–8.
- Kumar U A, Biradar B K. Soft subgrade stabilization with quarry dust-an industrial waste. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology. 2014 Aug; 3(8): 1–4.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.