Total views : 299
Analysis of Deforestation and Land Use Changes in Kotagiri Taluk of Nilgiris District
The optimized method clearly explains about the consequences of deforestation and the land usage by human beings in Kotagiri Taluk of Nilgiris district. Deforestation is one of the main purposes for global warming and contributor of greenhouse effect. In recent years, Remote Sensing and Geographical Information System have the prospective to deliver precise information regarding terrestrial use and forest surface changes. The current analysis assesses the usefulness of high resolution satellite data and GIS techniques for analyzing the change of terrestrial use and forest surface change of Kotagiri Taluk of Nilgiris district for 2013-2016. The Landsat imageries of 2013 and 2016 were analyzed using software. A total of twelve land use regions were identified. The comprehensive study has revealed that the region under forest has increased from 973.34 km2 and 996.45 km2 and settlement from 44.29 km2 to 50.28 km2. The analysis shows that there was major alteration in the pattern of terrestrial use and deforestation of trees for urbanization. There has been a vast change in the strategy of forest surface and terrestrial usage throughout the region of Kotagiri which eventually results in loss of natural ecosystem.
Deforestation, Kotagiri, Land use and Land Cover Modification, Remote Sensing and GIS Technique.
- Prefecture Y, Li Z, Geography XL. Remote Sensing and GIS Application for Agricultural Land Quality Assessment, Digital Manufacturing and Automation (ICDMA), 2011 Second International Conference on China; 2011.
- Teng L, Hua Y, Tong Y. Design and Realization of a High Quality Prime Farmland Management Information System in Zhejiang Province, Journal of Jiangnan University (Natural Science (ed.)), 2010 Jan.
- Ren Z, Shan Y, Wang Y. Study and Application on Investigation and Grading of Land Fertility of Standard Farmland in Zhejiang Province, Acta Agriculture Zhejiangensis. 2011; 23(2):404.
- Usha A, Gnanadhas ME. A Study on Sustainable Tourism Development in Kanyakumari District, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Management Review. 2014; 3(5):1-6.
- Lakshumanan C, Kishore VP, Viveganandan S, Krishnakumar P, Muthusankar G. Land use/Land Cover Dynamics Study in Nilgiris District Part of Western Ghats, Tamil Nadu, International Journal of Geomatics and Geosciences. 2012; 2(3):911.
- Punithavathi J, Tamilenthi S, Baskaran R. Agricultural Concentration and Crop Wise Changes in Thanjavur District, Tamil Nadu using Geographical Information System, International Multidisciplinary Research Journal. 2012; 2(7):44–8.
- Balakrishnan P, Saleem A, Mallikarjun ND. Groundwater Quality Mapping using Geographic Information System (GIS): A Case Study of Gulbarga City, Karnataka, India, African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. 2011 Dec; 5(12):1069-84.
- Jeihouni M, Toomanian A, Shahabi M, Alavipanah SK. Groundwater Quality Assessment for Drinking Purposes using GIS Modeling (case study: city of Tabriz), The International Archives of the Photogrammetric, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, XL-2/W3, 2014, The 1st ISPRS International Conference on Geospatial Information Research, 1517 Nov 2014, Tehran, Iran, p.163-68.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.