Total views : 72
Snow Avalanche Susceptibility Mapping using Remote Sensing and GIS in Nubra-Shyok Basin, Himalaya, India
Objectives: To produce an avalanche susceptibility map using static terrain factor accountable for avalanche occurrence in Nubra-Shyok basin, Himalaya, India. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Expert judgements based Analytical hierarchy process model was applied in the present study. The weight values for each avalanche contributory factor (aspect, elevation, slope, curvature and ground cover), was assigned by comparing possible pairs in a matrix. Receiver operator characteristics- Area under the Curve technique was used to validate the results. Findings: The calculated weight values of the slope factor is 0.47, which is found most significant, while the weight value of elevation factor is 0.25, were also found to be significant factor. The weight value of Ground cover was 0.05 and creates a least importance. The curvature and aspect weight values were 0.12 and 0.11 respectively, and produce intermediate degree of importance. The avalanche susceptibility map of the Nubra-Shyok basin was divided into five zones: - (I) Very High (II) Moderate-to-High (III) Moderate (IV) Low (V) Very Low, and covers 27.5% , 28.0% 19.0%, 20.0%, and 4.8%, of the total area respectively. ROC-AUC method was applied to verify the study results. The value of Area under the curve (0.9112) shows that results of the present study are acceptable and 91.12% avalanche pixels are properly categorized. Application/Improvements: This study will help in safe movement across the Nubra-Shyok basin, India.
Nubra, Remote Sensing, Snow Avalanche, Shyok, GIS
- Singh A, Ganju A. Earthquakes and avalanches in western Himalaya. Proceedings of the 12th Symposiumon Earthquake Engineering; India: Indian institute of Technology Roorkee. 2002. p. 1–8.
- Pandit R, Mishra A. 18 years after he went missing armyman's body found in Siachen; 2014.
- Pakistan weather portal 2012 Avalanche in Pakistan- Tragedy at Himalayas. Available from: http://pakistanweatherportal.com/2012/04/08/avalanche-in-pakistan-tragedy-at-himalayas
- India Today online. Indian Express (Internet).Available from: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/ siachen-glacier-avalanche-burries-army-posts-in-turtukarea6-soldiers-killed/1/238179.html
- McClung D, Schaerer P. The Avalanche Handbook. Seattle, WA, USA: The Mountaineers Books; 1993.
- Malczewski J. GIS-based multicriteria decision analysis a survey of the literature. International Journal of Geographical Information Sciences. 2006; 20(7):703–26. Crossref.
- Nefeslioglu HA, Sezer EA, Gokceoglu C, Ayas Z. A modified analytical hierarchy process (M-AHP) approach for decision support systems in natural hazard assessments. Computers and Geosciences. 2013 May; 59(2013):1–8.
- Seluck L. An avalanche hazard model for Bitlis Province Turkey, using GIS based multi-criteria decision analysis.Turkish Journal of Earth Sciences. 2013 Jun; 22(4):523– 35.
- Snehmani, Bhardwaj A, Pandit A, Ganju A. Demarcation of potential avalanche sites using remote sensing and ground observations a case study of Gangotri glacier. Geocarto International. 2013 Jun; 29(5):520–35. Crossref.
- Sharma SS, Ganju A. Complexities of avalanche forecasting in Western Himalaya- An overview. Cold Regions Science and Technology. 2000 Jul; 31(2):95–102. Crossref.
- Dortch J, Owen LA, Haneberg WC, Caffee MW, Dietsch C, Kamp U. Nature and timing of mega-landslides in northern India. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2009 Jun; 28(11-12):1037–56. Crossref.
- Baeseman J. International Symposium on Cryosphere and Climate Change India; 2017.
- Schweizer J, Jamieson JB, Schneebeli M. Snow avalanche formation. Reviews of Geophysics. 2003 Dec; 4(4):10–6.Crossref.
- Smith MJ, McClung DM. Avalanche frequency and terrain characteristics at Rogers' Pass British Columbia Canada.Journal of Glaciology. 1997 Jan; 43(143):165–71. Crossref.
- Ancey C. Snow avalanches. New York: Wiley & Sons; 2009.PMid:18936996
- Ganju A, Thakur NK, Rana V. Characteristics of avalanche accidents in Western Himalayan Region. Proceedings of International Snow Science Workshop; Canada. 2002. p.200–7.
- Maggioni M, Gruber U. The influence of topographic parameters on avalanche release dimension and frequency. Cold Regions Science and Technology. 2003 Nov; 37(3):407– 19.Crossref.
- Nagarajan R, Venkataraman G, Snehmani. Rule based classification of potential snow avalanche areas. Natural Resources and Conservation. 2014 Feb; 2(2):11–24.
- Ciolli M, Tabarelli S, Zatelli P. 3D spatial data integration for avalanche risk management. ISPRS Commission 4th Symposium on GIS- Between Visions and Applications; Germany. 1998. p. 121–7.
- Saaty TL. The analytical hierarchy process. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1980.
- Komac M. A landslide susceptibility model using the analytical hierarchy process method and multivariate statistics in perialpine Slovenia. Geomorphology. 2006 Mar; 74(14):17–28. Crossref.
- Kayastha P, Dhital MR, Smedt FD. Application of the Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) for landslide susceptibility mapping a case study from the Tinau watershed westNepal. Computers and Geosciences. 2013 Mar; 52:398–408.Crossref.
- Shahabi H, Khezri S, Ahmad BB, Hashim M. Landslide susceptibility mapping at central Zab basin Iran a comparison between analytical hierarchy process frequency ratio and logistic regression models. Catena. 2014 Apr; 115:55–70. Crossref.
- Shahabi H, Hashim M. Landslide susceptibility mapping using GIS-based statistical models and Remote sensing data in tropical environment. Nature Scientific Reports.2015 Apr; 5(9899):1–15. Crossref.
- Yang QL, Gao JR, Wang Y, Qian BT. Debris flows characteristics and risk degree assessment in Changyuan Gully Huairou District Beijing. Procedia Earth and Planetary Science. 2011 Oct; 2:262–71. Crossref.
- Chen X, Chen H, You Y, Liu J. Susceptibility assessment of debris flows using the analytic hierarchy process method- A case study in Subao river valley. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. 2015 Aug; 7(4):404–10.Crossref.
- Chen Y, Yu J, Shahbaz K, Xevi E. A GIS-based sensitivity analysis of multi-criteria weights. Proceedings of the 18th World IMACS Congress and MODSIM09 International Congress on Modelling and Simulation; 2009. p. 3137–43.PMid:19547914
- Hanley JA, McNeil BJ. A method of comparing the areas under receiver operating characteristic curves derived from the same cases. Radiology. 1983 Sep; 148(3):839–43.Crossref. PMid:6878708
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.