Total views : 127
Computational Study of Indoor Pollutant Dispersion of an Apartment
Objectives: Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) is very important for the health of human beings. Proper ventilation of apartment can improve IAQ. The objective of the study is to analyse the pollutant dispersion behaviour inside the fluid domain at fixed boundary conditions. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A 2BHK apartment has been taken for study. The fluid domain of apartment has been simulated in the Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software “ANSYS Fluent 16.2”. Four inlet doors, four inlet windows, one outlet door, one outlet window and two ventilations from toilets were taken in the apartment. Seven inlet pollutant sources at the middle of the bottom of each enclosed area i.e. drawing/dining room, master bedroom, bedroom 1, kitchen, toilet 1 and toilet 2 have been considered. The methane gas is selected as the pollutant in the study. The k-epsilon (2 equations) model has been used and methane-air mixture has been taken for species transport. Findings: The methane mass fraction has been studied at different planes and at different locations of the domain. It was observed that the pollutant dispersion phenomena were varying at different locations and with this the highest methane mass fraction zone have been discussed. Application/Improvements: Simulated model can be useful in urban management and planning to find the best geometrical configurations of infrastructure, especially residential, to achieve proper and effective ventilations. Present model can also be more effective with environmental wind tunnel validations.
Air Pollution Modelling, CFD, Environmental Modelling, Indoor Air Quality, Pollutant Dispersion, Turbulence Model.
- Michel FC, Stowell RR, Sun H, Keener HM. Twodimensional Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) modelling of air velocity and ammonia distribution in a high-rise hog building. Transactions of the ASAE. 2002; 45(45):1559–68.
- Akoua JJ, Allard F, Beghein C, Collignan B, Millet JR.Experimental and numerical studies on Indoor Air Quality in a real environment. Proceedings of the Conference of the Air Infiltration and Ventilation Centre; 2004. p. 15–7.
- Conceicao ST, Pereira ML, Tribess A. A review of methods applied to study airborne biocontaminants inside aircraft cabins. International Journal of Aerospace Engineering.2011; 2011:15 pages.
- Panagopoulos IK, Karayannis AN, Kassomenos P, Aravossis K. A CFD simulation study of VOC and formaldehyde indoor air pollution dispersion in an apartment as part of an indoor pollution management plan. Aerosol and Air Quality Research. 2011 Nov; 11(6):758–62.
- Akbari K, Mahmoudi J, Oman R. Simulation of ventilation effects on indoor radon in a detached house. WSEAS Transactions on Fluid Mechanics. 2012; 7(4):146–55.
- Yau YH, Ghazali NN, Badarudin A, Goh FC. The CFD simulation on thermal comfort in a library building in the tropics. Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Computational Mechanics and the 12th International Conference on the Enhancement and Promotion of Computational in Engineering and Science. AIP Publishing.2010 May; 1233(1):1529–34.
- Xu Y, Yang X, Yang C, Srebric J. Contaminant dispersion with personal displacement ventilation, Part I: Base case study. Building and Environment. 2009 Oct; 44(10):2121–8.
- Li Y. Numerical simulation and analysis for Indoor Air Quality in different ventilation. School of Environment and Architecture. 2012; 4(12):1–10.
- Verma TN, Sinha SL. Numerical simulation of contaminant control in multi-patient intensive care unit of hospital using computational fluid dynamics. Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics. 2015 Sep; 5(5):1088–92.
- Conservation Planning-Management Planning help and tools. 2016. Available from: http://www.ansalheights.realitytrust.in/floor-plan.html
- Sriwas SK, Shukla M, Asthana R, Saini JP. Fix the nonlinear effect and dispersion in optical-interleave division multiple access system for long distance. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Sep; 9(35):1–8.
- Vijayalekshmy S, Bindu GR, Iyer SR. Analysis of various photovoltaic array configurations under shade dispersion by Su Do Ku arrangement during passing cloud conditions.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(35):1–7.
- Udayakumar R, Khanaa V, Saravanan T. Chromatic dispersion compensation in optical fiber communication system and its simulation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Jun; 6(S6):1–5.
- Singh AP, Bhatia P, Chaudhary KK. Effects of elevated metro rail tracks on pollutant dispersion in urban street canyons. International Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences. 2016; 11(2):425–39.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.