Total views : 233
Improvement of the Domestic LPG Cooking Stoves: A Review
Objectives: The objective of this review was to study various works that have focussed on the improvement of the efficiency and emission features of the LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas)cook-stoves. Methods: The major focus of the review was on the LPG cook-stoves, though a variant in the form of Biogas was also studied. Parameters like performance, efficiency and emission features of various cook-stoves were taken into account. The design factors of the burners used in these cook-stoves was also one of the major factors that was strongly emphasized in this study. Findings: It was found that if the efficiency of a stove needs to be improved, the focus must be on the improvement of the specifications, design and material of the burner. For better efficient burners, the air preheating can be considered as a factor. As in the case of porous media, the thermal efficiency of the burner increases and the CO and NOX emissions reduce drastically. Application: Material of the burner also plays a pivotal role in the performance of the stove. Burners made up of have been found to be more efficient than their counterparts iron burners. Also, the shape of the burner is one factor that can help improve the performance of the stove.
Burners, LPG cook-stoves, Performance, Thermal Efficiency.
- Lucky RA, Hossain I. Efficiency study of Bangladeshi cookstoves with an emphasis on gas cookstoves.Energy.2001; 26(3):221–37.
- Jugjai S, Tia S, Trewetasksorn W. Thermal efficiency improvement of an LPG gas cooker by a swirling central flame. International Journal of Energy Research.2001; 25(8):657–74.
- Ko YC, Lin TH. Emissions and efficiency of a domestic gas stove burning natural gases with various compositions. Energy Conversion and Management. 2003; 44(19):3001–14.
- Hou SS, Ko Y C. Effects of heating height on flame appearance, temperature field and efficiency of an impinging laminar jet flame used in domestic gas stove.Fuel and Energy Abstracts. 2004; 45(6): 418.
- Basu D, Saha R, Ganguly R, Datta A. Performance improvement of LPG cook stoves through burner and nozzle modifications. Journal of the Energy Institute.2008: 81(4):218–25.
- Junus R, Vierkant J E, Stubington JF, Sergeant GD, Tas I.The effects of the design of the cap of a natural gas-fired cooktop burner on flame stability. International Journal of Energy Research. 1998; 22(2): 175–84.
- Li HB, Wong TT, Leung CW, Probert SD. Thermal performances and CO emissions of gas-fired cooker-top burners.Applied Energy. 2006; 83(12):1326–38.
- MacCarty N, Still D, Ogle D. Fuel use and emissions performance of fifty cooking stoves in the laboratory and related benchmarks of performance. Energy for Sustainable Development. 2010; 14(3):161––71.
- Hou SS, Lee CY, Lin TH. Efficiency and emissions of a new domestic gas burner with a swirling flame. Energy Conversion and Management. 2007; 48(5):1401–10.
- Li HB, WongTT, Leung CW, Probert SD. Thermal performances and CO emissions of gas-fired cooker-top burners.Applied Energy. 2006; 83(12):1326–38.
- Saha C, Ganguly R, Datta A. Heat transfer and emission characteristics of impinging rich methane and ethylene jet flames. Experimental Heat Transfer. 2008; 21(3):169–87.
- Jugjai S, Tia S, Trewetasksorn W. Thermal efficiency improvement of an LPG gas cooker by a swirling central flame. International Journal of Energy Research. 2001; 25(8):657–74.
- Hannani S, Hessari E, Fardadi M, Jeddi M.Mathematical modeling of cooking pots’ thermal efficiency using a combined experimental and neural network method. Energy.2006; 31(14):2969–85.
- Junus R, Stubington JF, Sergeant GD, Tas I.Emissions and efficiency of a prototype natural gas‐fired domestic cooktop burner with insert. International Journal of Environmental Studies. 2000; 57(2):189–205.
- Berry WM, Brumbaugh IV, Moulton GF, Shawn GB. The design of atmospheric gas burners. Journal of the Franklin Institute. 1921; 192(4):526–30.
- Olubiyi OD. Design, Construction And Performance Evaluation Of A Biogas Burner [MSc thesis].Postgraduate School, Ahmadu Bello University Zariain 2014.3(9): p1–7.
- NamkhatA, Jugjai S. Primary air entrainment characteristics for a self-aspirating burner: Model and experiments.Energy. 2010; 35(4):1701–8.
- Pantangi VK, Mishra SC, Muthukumar P, Reddy R.Studies on porous radiant burners for LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) cooking applications. Energy. 2011; 36(10):6074–80.
- Mishra NK, Mishra SC, Muthukumar P. Performance characterization of a medium-scale liquefied petroleum gas cooking stove with a two-layer porous radiant burner.Applied Thermal Engineering. 2015; 89:44–50.
- Tierney C, Wood S, Harris A T, Fletcher DF. Computational fluid dynamics modelling of ultra-lean porous burners.Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, An International Journal. 2010; 10(5-6):352.
- Gopaliya MK, Kaushal DR. Analysis of Effect of Grain Size on Various Parameters of Slurry Flow through Pipeline Using CFD. Particulate Science and Technology.2014; 33(4):369–84.
- Bhushan P, Singh P, Singh Y. Energy Consumption Pattern at Household Level: A Micro Level Study of Himachal Pradesh. Indian Journal Of Science And Technology. 2016; 9(32):1–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.