Total views : 271
Comparison of Numerical Solution of 1D Hyperbolic Telegraph Equation using B-Spline and Trigonometric B-Spline by Differential Quadrature Method
Objectives: This paper aims to compute the approximate solution of one dimensional (1D) hyperbolic telegraph equation with appropriate primary and limiting conditions. Methods/Statistical Analysis: To find the approximate solution, two different modified spline basis function are used with the differential quadrature method and splines are used to compute the weighting coefficients and thus the equation is transformed to a set of first order conventional differential equations which is further solved by the SSP-RK43 method. Three test problems of this equation are simulated to establish the precision and usefulness of the proposed scheme. Findings: The obtained numerical results are found to be good in terms of accuracy, efficiency and simplicity. To validate the computed results using proposed scheme, various comparisons at different time levels has been done in the form of and errors. These errors are compared and enlisted in the form of tables with computed errors enlisted in literature. Application/Improvements: Being an important equation of nuclear material science, one dimensional (1D) hyperbolic telegraphs equation needs to take care in the sense of better numerical solution. In this context, a successful effort has been done in this research article by proposing a hybrid numerical scheme.
35K57, Differential Quadrature Method, Hyperbolic Telegraphs Equation, Mathematics Subject Classification (2010): 65M06, Modified Cubic B-Spline, Modified Trigonometric B-Spline, SSP-RK43.
- El-Azab MS, El-Ghamel A. Numerical Algorithm for the Solution of Telegraph Equations, Applied Mathematics Computing. 2007; 190(1):75764.
- Mohanty RK. New Unconditionally Stable Difference Schemes for the Solution of Multidimensional Telegraphic Equations, International Journal of Computing Mathematics. 2009; 86(12):206171.
- Jordan PM, Puri A. Digital Signal Propagation in Dispersive Media, Journal of Applied Physics. 1999; 85(3):127382.
- Weston VH, He S. Wave Splitting of the Telegraph Equation in and its Application to Inverse Scattering, Inverse Problems. 1993; 9(6):789812.
- Banasiak J, Mika JR. Singularly Perturved Telegraph Equations with Applications in the Random Walk Theory, Journal of Applied Mathematics Stochastic Analysis. 1998; 11(1):928.
- Industrial Microwave. Date Accessed: 2012. http://www.industrialmicrowave.com/.
- Roussy G, Pearcy JA. Foundations and Industrial Applications of Microwaves and Radio Frequency ﬁelds. Wiley: New York, 1995.
- Kim WS. DoublyPeriodic Boundary Value Problem for Nonlinear Dissipative Hyperbolic Equations, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Application. 1990; 145(1):116.
- Mohanty RK. An Unconditionally Stable Difference Scheme for the one SpaceDimensionallinear Hyperbolic Equation, Applied Mathematics Letter. 2004; 17(1):1015.
- Mohanty RK. An Unconditionally Stable Finite Difference Formula for a Linear Second Order one Space Dimensional Hyperbolic Equation with Variable Coefficients, Applied Mathematics Computing. 2005; 165(1):22936.
- Liu HW, Liu LB. An Unconditionally Stable Spline Difference Scheme of for Solving the Second Order 1D Linear Hyperbolic Equation, Mathematical Computation Modelling. 2009; 49(910):198593.
- Dehghan M. On the Solution of an InitialBoundary Value Problem that Combines Neumannand Integral Condition for the Wave Equation, Numerical Methods Partial Differential Equations. 2005; 21(1):2440.
- Mohanty RK, Jain MK, George K. On the use of High Order Difference Methods for the system of One Space Second Order NonLinear Hyperbolic Equations with Variable Coefficients, Journal of Computational Applied Mathematics. 1996; 72(2):42131.
- Twizell EH. An Explicit Difference Method for the Wave Equation with Extended Stability Range, BIT Numerical Mathematics. 1979; 19(3):37883.
- Mohebbi A, Dehghan M. High Order Compact Solution of the OneSpaceDimensional Linear Hyperbolic Equation, Numerical Methods Partial Differential Equations. 2008; 24(5):122235.
- Dehghan M, Lakestani M. The use of Chebyshev Cardinal Functions for Solution of the SecondOrder OneDimensional Telegraph Equation, Numerical Methods Partial Differential Equations. 2009; 25(4):93138.
- Lakestani M, Saray BN. Numerical Solution of Telegraph Equation using Interpolating Scaling Functions, Computational Mathematics Application. 2010; 60(7):196472.
- Saadatmandi A, Dehghan M. Numerical Solution of Hyperbolic Telegraph Equation using the Chebyshev Tau Method, Numerical Methods Partial Differential Equations. 2010; 26(1):23952.
- Gao F, Chi CM, Unconditionally Stable Difference Schemes for a One Space Dimensional Linear Hyperbolic Equation, Applied Mathematics Computation. 2007; 187(2):127276.
- Dehghan M, Ghesmati A. Solution of the SecondOrder OneDimensional Hyperbolic Telegraph Equation by using the Dual Reciprocity Boundary Integral Equation (DRBIE) Method, Engineering Analytical Boundary Element. 2010; 34(1):5159.
- Dehghan M, Shokri A. A Numerical Method for Solving the Hyperbolic Telegraph Equation, Numerical Methods Partial Differential Equations. 2008; 24(4):108093.
- Jiwari R, Pandit S, Mittal RC. A Differential Quadrature Algorithm for the Numerical Solution of the SecondOrder One Dimensional Hyperbolic Telegraph Equation, International Journal of Nonlinear Science. 2012; 13(3):25966.
- Dosti M, Nazemi A. Solving OneDimensional Hyperbolic Telegraph Equation using Cubic BsplinequasiInterpolation, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 2011; 5(4):93540.
- Rashidinia J, Jamalzadeh S, Esfahani F. Numerical Solution of One Dimensional Telegraph Equation using Cubic BSpline Collocation Method, Journal of Interpolation Approximation in Scientific Computing. 2014(2014); 18.
- Dosti M, Nazemi A. Quartic BSpline Collocation Method for Solving OneDimensional Hyperbolic Telegraph Equation, Journal of Information Computing Science. 2012; 7(2):8390.
- Mittal RC, Bhatia R. Numerical Solutions of Second Order One Dimensonal Hyperbolic Telegraph Equation by Cubic BSpline Collocation Method, Applied Mathematics and Computation. 2013; 220(1):496506.
- Arora G, Singh BK. Numerical Solution of Burgers Equation with Modified Cubic BSpline differential Quadrature Method, Applied Mathematics Computation. 2013; 224(1):16677.
- Spiteri JR, Ruuth SJ. A New Class of Optimal HighOrder Strong StabilityPreserving Time stepping Schemes; SIAM Journal Numerical Analysis. 2002; 40(2):46991.
- Bellman R, Kashef BG, Casti J. Differential Quadrature: A Technique for the Rapid Solution of Nonlinear Differential Equations, Journal of Computational Physics. 1972; 10(1):4052.
- Korkmaz A. Shock Wave Simulations using Sinc Differential Quadrature Method. International, Journal of Computational Aided Engineering Software. 2011; 28(6):65474.
- Quan JR, Chang CT. New Insights in Solving Distributed System Equations by the Quadrature MethodsI; Computers and Chemistry Engineering. 1989; 13(9):77988.
- Shu C, Richards BE. Application of Generalized Differential Quadrature to Solve Two Dimensional in compressiblenavierStokes Equations, International Journal of Numerical Methods in Fluids. 1992; 15(7);7918.
- Shu C. Differential Quadrature and its Application in Engineering, SpringerVerlag London Limited, 2000.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.