Total views : 262
Removal of Noise From ECG Signal Using Adaptive Filtering
Noise removal from a non-stationary signal like Electrocardiogram (ECG) signal is a major problem. Moreover, nullifying different noises using different adaptive algorithms –Least Mean Square (LMS), Normalized Least Mean Square (NLMS) etc. from ECG signal is one of the advance studies in biomedical signal processing. In this paper, we will discuss how we can remove different type of noises like 50Hz Power-Line Interference, Base-line Wandering and Muscle Contraction noise from an ECG signal using an adaptive filter. Different performance parameters such as, Signal-to-Noise Ratio, Mean Square Error and Root Mean Square Error are also calculated to compare the results. Real time data has been collected from MITBIH arrhythmia database. At the end, results show the better performance of adaptive NLMS filter for removing different noises over adaptive LMS filter.
Component, Formatting, Insert (Key Words), Style, Styling.
- Adaptive filter [Internet]. 2009 [updated 2016 Mar 21; cited 2009]. Available from: wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_filter.
- Islam SZ, Islam SZ, Jidin R, Ali MAM. Performance study of adaptive filtering algorithms for noise cancellation of ECG signal. 7th International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing (ICICS), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE); 2009 Dec 8–10. p. 1–5.
- Kaur M, Singh B. Power line interference reduction in ECG using combination of MA method and IIR notch filter.International Journal of recent trends in Engineering. 2009 Nov; 2(6):125–9.
- Kumar Y, Malik GK. Performance analysis of different filters for power line interface reduction in ECG signal.International Journal of Computer Applications. 2010 Jun; 3(7):1–6.
- Chauvin MS, Agarwala R, Uplane MD, Gaikwad MS.Design of ECG instrumentation and implementation of digital filter for noise reduction. Proceedings of the 9th WSEAS International Conference on Signal Processing, Computational Geometry and Artificial Vision. 2004 Jan; 1(157–474):47–50.
- Reddy DVRK, Rahman MZU, Sangeetha Y, Sudha NS.Base line wander and power line interference elimination from cardiac signals using a novel LMS algorithm based on differential inputs and errors. In the Proceedings of International Journal of Advanced Engineering and Applications; 2011 Jan. p. 187–91.
- Sankar AB, Kumar D, Seethalakshmi K. Performance study of various adaptive filter algorithms for noise cancellation in respiratory signals. Signal Processing: An International Journal (SPIJ). 2010 Dec; 4(5):267–78.
- Sornmo L. Time-varying filtering for removal of baseline wander in exercise ECGs. In the Proceedings of Computers in Cardiology, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE); 1991 Sep 23–26. p. 145–8.
- Zhang N, Askildsen B, Hemmelman BT. Investigation of adaptive filtering for noisy ECG signals. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Mountain Workshop on Adaptive and Learning Systems; 2006 Jul 24–26. p. 30–5.
- Martens SM, Mischi M, Oei SG, Bergmans JW. An improved adaptive power line interference canceller for electrocardiography. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transactions on Biomedical Engineering.2006 Nov; 53(11):2220–31.
- Gupta HK, Vijay R, Gupta N. Designing and implementation of algorithms on MATLAB for adaptive noise cancellation from ECG signal. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2013 May; 71(5):1–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.