Total views : 161
Perturbation Effect on IIR Filters
During the realization of digital FIR and IIR filters the finite word length in computers affects the accuracy of filter coefficients. This leads to change in actual desired poles and zeros of the system function. In this paper firstly the analog filter is converted to digital domain using bilinear transformation and then the filter coefficients are quantized to analyze the perturbation error and the finite word length effect.This paper analyzes the sensitivity to quantization of filter coefficients for 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit precisions up to order 7 for digital low pass Butterworth, Chebyshev (type I and type II) and Elliptic filters for direct form realization. In the end result shows that the Chebyshev type II filter yields the least perturbation error and Elliptic filter yields the maximum perturbation error for higher orders.
Bilinear Transformation, Jacobian Elliptic Function, Perturbation Error.
- Proakis JG, Manolakis DG. Digital signal processing principles, algorithms, and applications. Chapter 9, section 9.5, Pearson Education Inc; 2007. p. 613–20.
- Ingle VK, Proakis JG. Digital signal processing, A MATLAB based approach. Cengage Learning; 2008.
- Dolecek GJ. Demo Program for Teaching the Characteristics of Low-Pass IIR Filters, 41st ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, Session T4E, Rapid City, South Dakota; 2011 Oct. p. 1–6.
- Allen HG, Perturbation effects on filters having multiple poles. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Process. ICASSP-94, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Adelaide, SA. 1994 Apr 19–22; iii:589– 92.
- Paarmann LD. Design and analysis of analog filters. Kluwer Academic Publishers; 2001.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.