Total views : 337
Wavelet and Symmetric Stochastic Neighbor Embedding based Computer Aided Analysis for Breast Cancer
Mammography is the most perceptive method for the detection of early breast cancer. The abnormalities of breast are analyzed by digital mammogram images and the most important indicators of breast malignancy are microcalcifications and masses. An efficient Computer Aided Diagnosis (CAD) system for breast cancer classification is proposed in this study based on Discrete Wavelet Transform (DWT), Symmetric Stochastic Neighbor Embedding (SSNE) and Support Vector Machine (SVM) using digital mammogram images. Two technical approaches are employed for feature selection from the wavelet decomposed mammogram for classification. They are based on the application of SSNE over the decomposed image. At first, SSNE is applied to the whole wavelet decomposed image whereas in the second technique it is applied to individual sub band of the wavelet decomposed image. The whole mammogram classification system is implemented in two consecutive stages. The first stage of the proposed system classifies the mammogram image into normal or abnormal. The severity of the predicted abnormality is further classified either it is benign or malignant associated with mass or microcalcification images. The performance of the proposed mammogram classification system is evaluated using Mammographic Image Analysis Society (MIAS) database images.
Digital Mammogram, Discrete Wavelet Transform, Mass, Microcalcification, Symmetric Stochastic Neighbor Embedding, Support Vector Machine.
- Chen Y, Chang CI. New texture shape feature coding-based computer aide diagnostic methods for classification of masses on mammograms. Proceedings of the 26th Annual International Conference of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE); 2004 Sep.
- Samulski M, Karssemeijer N, Lucas P, Groot P. Classification of mammographic masses using support vector machines and Bayesian networks. Proceedings of SPIE on Medical Imaging. 2007; 6514:1–11.
- Masotti M. Exploring rank lets performances in mammographic mass classification using recursive feature elimination. Proceedings of the 16th Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Signal Processing Society Workshop on machine learning for signal processing; 2006.p. 265–9.
- Islam MJ, Ahmad M, Maher A. Sid-Ahmed. An efficient automatic mass classification method in digitized mammograms using artificial neural network. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Applications (IJAIA). 2010 Jul; 1(3):1–13.
- Eltoukhy MM, Faye I. Curvelet based feature extraction method for breast cancer diagnosis in digital mammogram.Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) International Conference on Intelligent and Advanced Systems; 2010 Jun. p. 1–5.
- Cheng HD, Shi XJ, Min R, Hu LM, Cai XP, Du HN.Approaches for automated detection and classification of masses in mammograms. Pattern Recognition. 2006; 39:646–68.
- Sahiner B, Petrick N, Chan HP. Computer-aided characterization of mammographic masses: accuracy of mass segmentation and its effects on characterization. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transactions on Medical Imaging. 2001; 20(12):1275–84.
- Saki F, Tahmasbi A. A novel opposition-based classifier for mass diagnosis in mammography images. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Iranian Conference of Biomedical Engineering; 2010 Nov. p. 1–4.
- Noodeh AS, Rabbani H. Detection of cancerous zones in mammograms using fractal modeling and classification by probabilistic neural network. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Iranian Conference of Biomedical Engineering; 2010 Nov. p. 1–4.
- Thangavel K, Mohideen AK. Semi-supervised K-means clustering for outlier detection in mammogram classification. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Trendz in Information Sciences and Computing. 2010 Dec:68–72.
- Dheeba J, Selvi ST. Classification of malignant and benign microcalcification using SVM classifier. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) International Conference on Emerging Trends in Electrical and Computer Technology; 2011 Mar. p. 686–90.
- Hinton G, Roweis S. Stochastic neighbor embedding. In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, MIT Press. 2003; 15:833–40.
- Rejani YIA, Selvi ST. Early detection of breast cancer using SVM classifier technique. International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering. 2009; 1(3):127–30.
- Smola AJ, Bartlett P, Scholkopf B, Schuurmans D. Advances in large margin classifiers. MIT press; 2000.
- Kumar SM, Balakrishnan. Classification of breast mass classification – CAD system and performance evaluation using SSNE. International Journal of Innovative Science, Engineering and Technology (IJISET). 2015 Sep; 2(9):417–25.
- Kumar SM, Balakrishnan. Classification of breast mass classification – CAD system with performance evaluation.International Journal of Engineering And Computer Science. 2015 Sep; 4(9):14187–93.
- Kumar SM, Balakrishnan. Classification of breast microcalcification-CAD system and performance evaluationusing SSNE. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering. 2015 Sep;5(9):824–30.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.