Effect of Selenium Nano Particles on Glutathione Peroxidase mRNA Gene Expression in Broiler Chicken
This study was undertaken with the objective of studying the effect of Selenium Nano particles on liver glutathione peroxidase mRNA(GSHP×1 mRNA) gene expression in broiler chicken. An in vivo feeding experiment was conducted in 150 broiler chicks. Three replicates of 10 birds were maintained for each treatment with various levels of Selenium Nano particles (0.075, 0.1125, 0.1875 and 0.225 mg/kg) along with selenium coarse particle (0.15 mg/kg) as control group. The liver GSHP×1 mRNA expression was significantly (P<0.05) higher in Selenium Nano particles supplemented groups compared to control group with selenium coarse particles found out by doing RT-PCR in 15 birds, with 1 bird selected randomly from each replicate contributing 3 birds per treatment. There was 4.3 fold increases in GSHP×1 mRNA expression in birds supplemented with 0.1875 mg/kg nano selenium. However, when the Selenium Nano particles level was increased to 0.225 mg/kg from 0.1875 mg/kg Selenium Nano particles, GSHP×1 mRNA expression was reduced to 0.76 fold when compared with control group of 0.15 mg/kg selenium coarse particles (1 fold). It is concluded that dietary level of 0.1875 mg/kg Selenium Nano particles increased the expression of liver GSHP´1 mRNA gene in broiler chicken.
- Surai PF. Natural antioxidants in avian nutrition and reproduction. Nottingham university press;2002.
- Cai SJ, Wu CX, Gong LM, Song T, Wu H and Zhang LY. Effects of nano-selenium on performance, meat quality, immune function, oxidation resistance, and tissue selenium content in broilers. Poultry Science,2012; 91: 2532 – 2539.
- Razi KM, Maamoury RS and Banihashemi S. Preparation of nano selenium particles by water solution phase method from industrial dust. International journal of nano dimension.2011;1(4): 261 – 267.
- BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards). Indian Standard Poultry Feeds- Specification. 5th edn. New Delhi;2007.
- Choczynski P and Sacchi N. Single-step method of RNA isolation. Anal. Biochem.1987; 162: 156 – 159.
- Seal BS, King DJ and Bennett JD. Characterization of Newcastle disease virus isolates by reverse transcription PCR coupled to direct nucleotide sequencing and development of sequence database for epidemiological pathotype prediction and molecular analysis. J. Clin. Microbiol. 1995 ;33(10): 2624
- Eid Y. Antioxidative effects of canolol in broiler chickens. Egypt. Poult. Sci. 2013 ;33: 99 – 106.
- SPSS, Statistical Package for the Social Sciences. Version 17.0 software for windows.
- Pfaffl MW. A new mathematical model for relative quantification in real time RT-PCR. Nucl. Acids Res. 2001 ;29: 2002 – 2007.
- Christensen MJ, Janghorbani M , Steinke FH , Istfan N and Young VR. Simultaneous determination of absorption of selenium from poultry meat and selenite in young men: application of a triple stable-isotope method. Br. J. Nutr. 1983;50, 43–50.
- Zhang Y, Suzhen Z, Xuepeng W, Chunyang W and Fuchang I. The effect of dietary selenium levels on growth performance,antioxidant capacity and glutathione peroxidase 1 (GSHPx1) mRNA expression in growing meat rabbits. Animal feed science and technology.2011; 169: 259 – 264.
- Seko Y, Saito Y, Kitahara J and Imura N. Active oxygen generation by the reaction of selenite with reduced glutathione in vitro. In: Wendel, A. (Ed.), Selenium in Biology and Medicine. Springer, Berlin.1989; pp. 70 – 73.
- Li Y, Li QGM, Zhio H, Hua W, Guo-Xiang W, Zhang DJY and Ji C. Effects of lipoic acid on immune function, the antioxidant defence system and inflammation related genes expression of broiler chickens fed aflatoxin contaminated diets. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2014;15: 5649-5662.
- Yarru LP, Settivari RS, Gowda NKS, Antoniou E, Ledoux DR and Rottinghaus G. Effect of turmeric (Curcuma longa) on the expression of hepatic genes associated with biotransformation, antioxidant and immune system in broiler chicks fed aflatoxin. Poult. Sci. 2009;88: 2620-2627.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.