Total views : 162
Color Defect Detection of Pharmaceutical Capsules using Histogram based Thresholding
In this paper, a new method of inspecting pharmaceutical capsules aesthetic defects is proposed using color image processing. After an image is taken, median filtering is performed. Then the region based statistics is calculated to acquire the largest area of pharmaceutical capsule from the image. After that RGB image is transferred into R plane, G plane and B plane. Then histogram of each plane is calculated. Further by setting thresholding value of each plane, mask of each plane is determined. Color segmentation of image is achieved by combining mask of each plane. Experiments are conducted with the quality inspection of pharmaceutical capsules. Time is also taken as major parameter of the system. Experiment results show the reliability and feasibility of proposed method as time and quality control are two main parameters in industry. The proposed paper present an application to detect defect related to color of pharmaceutical capsules which can be adapted to other practical applications for automated visual inspection using image processing techniques.
Color Segmentation, Histogram, Image Enhancement, RGB Planes, Thresholding.
- Wang X, Huang X. A color texture segmentation method to extract tree image in complex scene. 2010 IEEE International Conference on Machine Vision and Humanmachine Interface; 2010. p. 621–5.
- Huang S, Ahmadi M, Sid-Ahmed MA. An edge based thresholding method. 2006 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, SMC ‘06; 2006 Oct.
- Riyadi S, Abd Rahni AA, et al. Shape characteristic analysis for papaya size classification. 2007 IEEE 5th Student Conference on Research and Development; 2007 Dec.
- Thilepa R. A paper on automatic fabrics fault processing using image processing techniques in MATLAB. An International Journal. 2010 Dec; 1.
- Jau UL, Siong C. A comparison of RGB and HSI color segmentation in real-time video Images: A Preliminary study on road sign detection. 2008 International Symposium on Information Technology, ITSim; 2008 Aug.
- Wei CC, Wang CH Huang SW. Using threshold method to separate the edge, coating and body of tongue in automatic tongue diagnosis. 2010 Sixth International Conference on Networked Computing and Advanced Information Management (NCM); 2010. p. 653–6.
- Nimbarte NM, Mushrif MM. Multi-level thresholding algorithm for color image segmentation. 2010 IEEE 2nd International Conference on Computer Engineering and Application; 2010. p. 231–3.
- Jianjun, et al. Segmentation method of fruit image and comparative experiments. 2008 IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering; 2008. p.1098–102.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.