Total views : 156
Pilot Tone based CD and PMD Monitoring Technique for Photonic Networks
Objectives: This paper aims at evaluation of pilot tone based Chromatic dispersion and Polarization mode dispersion monitoring technique and to find out a suitable solution for simultaneous monitoring of CD and PMD in dynamic optical network. Method: A pilot tone of 2GHz to 8GHz has been send to each channel of a WDM Link for the monitoring of performance degradation of composite signal during the transmission. CD and PMD causes phase shift of LSB and USB of the amplitude modulated pilot tone which results variation of amplitude of the pilot tone. The amplitude of the pilot tome is the parameter by which measurement of different quantities such as optical power, wavelength, OSNR, CD and PMD can be done in a dynamic optical network. Findings: From the various literatures it has been observed that Optical network is switching from static form to dynamic form. Implementation of plug and play devices, adaptive modulation techniques and various dynamic services introduce complexity in photonic network. Due to highly dynamic and heterogeneous nature of optical network, investigation and implementation of appropriate performance monitoring technique is a major challenge for the researchers. This paper presents a pilot tone based method for simultaneous monitoring of CD and PMD. The proposed method is suitable for dynamic optical network and the simulation results shows low frequency pilot tones provides better resolution for both CD and PMD monitoring technique. The simulation result shows that 2GHz pilot tone provides CD measurement range upto 16000ps/nm and PMD DGD value upto 50ps for the tone power variation of -10 to 0dB. Applications: The proposed techniques can be used for simultaneous CD and PMD monitoring of dynamic WDM optical networks.
Bit Error Rate, Chromatic Dispersion, Optical Impairments, Polarization Mode Dispersion, Wavelength Division Multiplexing
- Park KJ, et al. Performance comparisons of chromatic dispersion-monitoring techniques using pilot tones ,IEEE Photonic Technology. 2003 June; 15 (6).
- Shak I, Hidehiko Takara, Satoki Kawanishi. Simple Q Factor Monitoring for BER Estimation Using Opened Eye Diagrams Captured by High-Speed Asynchronous Electrooptical Sampling IEEE Photonic Technology. 2003 April; 15( 4).
- Changyuan Yu, Yi Yu. Optical performance monitoring in fiber transmission systems based on electrical sampling technique IEEE ICTON. 2014; 1–4.
- Choi HY, Paul K, Park J, Chung YC. Chromatic Dispersion Monitoring Technique Using Pilot Tone Carried by broadband light source IEEE. 2009; 21(9).
- Kilperet DC al. Optical performance monitoring, J. Lightw. Technology. 2004 Jan; (22):294–304.
- Park PKJ, Jun SB, Chung YC. Chromatic dispersion monitoring technique based on chirped pilot tones, Opt. Communication. 2006 Oct; (266): 280–83.
- Li Z, Li G. In-line performance monitoring for RZ-DPSK signals using asynchronous amplitude histogram evaluation, IEEE Photonic Technol. Lett., 2006;(18): 472–74.
- Lamia Baker-Mefla, Benn C. Thomsen, John E.Mitchell, PolinaBayvel. Multi-Impairment WDM Optical Performance Monitoring for Burst Switched Networks JLT, 2010 Dec: 28(23).
- Trevor B. Anderson, Adam Kowalczyk, KeClarke, Sarah D. Dods Don Hewitt, Jonathan. Multi Impairment Monitoring for Optical Networks JLT, 2009 Aug: 27 (16).
- Barman K, Kassa S, Kosale D. Advance Performance Monitoring Techniques for Future Photonic Network, 5th national conference, India Com 2011.
- Calvin CK Chan, Kam-Hon Tse, Tianwai Bo, Shuang Gao. Optical performance monitoring in elastic optical OFDM networks, IEEE conference Photonics in Switching (PS) 2015.p.145–47
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.