Total views : 151
Fuzzy C-means Clustering with Temporal-based Membership Function
Objective: In this paper, a method is proposed to create clusters depending on temporal information. Despite its popularity, the FCM algorithm does not utilize temporal information in creating clusters, hence affecting the accuracy of clustering. This paper presents an improved Fuzzy C-means algorithm that incorporates temporal information into the membership function used for clustering. Methods: The proposed FCM algorithm employs temporal neighbouring of data points as the base of clustering. In order to evaluate the algorithm, experimental analysis was performed on three multi-labelled datasets, including a clinical free text (medical), textual email messages (Enron), and Bibtex. Finding: The experimental results show that the proposed function contributes a smaller value of objective function while using a minimum number of iterations. Application: The proposed work will benefit data mining in various domains such as information retrieval, healthcare, business management and many others. This is due to its ability in grouping data- points that are not mutually exclusive.
Fuzzy C-mean, Data Clustering, Data Mining, Multi-labelled Data.
- Niu Q, Huang X. An improved fuzzy c-means clustering algorithm based on PSO. Journal of Software. 2011; 6(5):7.
- Lou X, Li J, Liu H. Improved fuzzy c-means clustering algorithm based on cluster density. Journal of Computational Information Systems. 2012; 8(2):727–37.
- Chattopadhyay S, Pratihar DK, Sarkar SCD. A comparative Study of Fuzzy C-means algorithm and Entropy-based Fuzzy Clustering algorithms. Computing and Informatics. 2011; 30:701–20.
- Zanaty EA. An adaptive fuzzy C-means algorithm for improving MRI segmentation. Open Journal of Medical Imaging. 2013; 3(4):125–35.
- Blacknell D, Griffiths H. Radar Automatic Target Recognition (ATR) and Non-Cooperative Target Recognition (NCTR). 2013; 296.
- Kannan SR, Ramathilagam S, Pandiyarajan R. Modified bias field fuzzy C-means for effective segmentation of brain MRI. Transactions on computational science VIII. Gavrilova ML: Springer-Verlag; 2011. p. 127–45.
- Lu Y, Ma T, Yi C, Xie X, Tian W, Zhong S. Implementation of the Fuzzy C-Means Clustering algorithm in meteorological data. International Journal of Database Theory and Application. 2013; 6(6):1–18.
- Kaur P, Soni AK, Gosain A. RETRACTED: A robust kernelized intuitionistic Fuzzy C-means Clustering algorithm in segmentation of noisy medical images. Pattern Recognition Letters. 2013; 34(2):163–75.
- William R. Hierarchical Temporal Memory Cortical Learning algorithm for pattern recoginition: ProQuest, UMI Dissertation Publishing; 2012 Oct 17.
- Jun W, Shi-Tong W. Double indices FCM algorithm based on hybrid distance metric learning. Journal of Software. 2010; 21(8):1878–88.
- Grabusts P. The choice of metrics for clustering algorithms. International Scientific and Practical Conference; Izdevniecība,: Rēzeknes Augstskola, Rēzekne; 2011.
- Cai W, Chen S, Zhang D. Fast and Robust Fuzzy C-Means Clustering Algorithms incorporating local information for image segmentation. Pattern Recognition Letters. 2010; 40(3):825–38 13. Mullner D. Modern Hierarchical, Agglomerative Clustering algorithms. Librarary C, editor. Modern Hierarchical, Agglomerative Clustering Algorithms. arXiv:1109.2378v1; 2011. p. 29.
- Tsai D-M, Lin C-C. Fuzzy C-means based clustering for linearly and nonlinearly separable data. Pattern Recognition Letters. 2011; 44(8):1750–60.
- Schwämmle V, Jensen ON. A simple and fast method to determine the parameters for Fuzzy C–means Cluster analysis. Bioiformatics. 2010; 26(22):2841–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.