Total views : 190
The Influence of Organizational Factors in the Success of IT Project Management
Objectives: In this paper, an Information Technology Project Management (ITPM) method is applied to identify factors related on organization that influence the success of the IT project management and to rank the most importance factors of the IT Project in Malaysian public sector from organizational perspective. Methods/Statistical analysis: Six organisational factors and three ITPM success criteria were used in the study’s framework to investigate relationships between the organisational factors and IT project management success in Malaysia. Findings: The result shows that organisational structure and goal alignment in the organisation significantly influence the success of IT project management. The result provides useful insights to the success of the IT project management, which could assist project management professionals to understand and thus enable strategies to successful IT project management implementation. Application/Improvements: This study can be further extended to conduct a research in another government agencies as well as private sector with different location and agencies, for getting more diversity results of the data collection and analysis.
IT Project Management, IT Project Success Factor, Information Technology, Organisational Factor, Organisation Culture.
- Mohd-Yusof M. Information systems and executives’ role: the pre-electronic government era experience. Kuala Lumpur: Utusan Publications; 2005.
- Marchewka JT. Information technology project management.US: John Wiley & Sons; 2012.
- Maidin SS, Arshad H. IT governance practices model in IT project approval and implementation in Malaysian public sector. International Conference on Electronics and Information Engineering (ICEIE). 2010; 1:532–6.
- CHAOS, CHAOS summary for 2010. The Standish Group International; 2010.
- Nagaiah S. Public sector ICT project management. Power Point; 2011.
- Al-Ahmad W et al. A Taxonomy of an IT project failure: root causes. International Management Review. 2009; 5(1):93–106.
- Mohd-Yusof M. Information systems and executives' role: the pre-electronic government era experience. Kuala Lumpur: Utusan Publications; 2005.
- Karlsen JT. What characterizes successful IT projects?International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making. 2005 Dec; 4:525–40.
- Pinto J, Slevin D. Critical success factors across the project life cycle. Project Management Journal. 1988; 19(3):67–75.
- Baccarini D. The logical framework method for defining project success. Project Management Journal. 1999; 30(4):25–32.
- Walid B, Oya IT. A new framework for determining critical success/failure factor in project. International Journal of Project Management. 1996 Jun; 14(3):141–51.
- Pinkerton WJ. Project management: achieving project bottomline success. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2003.
- Jacobides MG. The inherent limits of organizational structure and the unfulfilled role of hierarchy: Lessons from a near war. Organization Science. 2007 May – Jun; 18(3):455–77.
- Saunders CS, Jones JW. Measuring performance of the information systems function. Journal of Management Information System. 1992; 8(4):63–82.
- Hussein R, Abdul KNS, Mohamed M, Ahlan AR. The influence of organization factors on information system success in E-government agencies in Malaysia. The Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries.2007 Jan; 29(1):1–17.
- Ahlan AR. Information technology implementation: managing IT innovation in Malaysia banking industry. In the Proceedings of the 12th European Conference on IT Evaluation (ECTIE), Turku, Finland; 2005.
- Taylor J. Managing information technology projects: Applying project. New York: AMACOM Books; 2004.
- Davies CL, Finlay MA, Ang PN. An empirical model of IT usage in the Malaysian public sectors. Journal of strategic information systems. 2001 Jun; 10(2):159–74.
- Ein-Dor P, Segev E. Organizational context and success of management information system. Management sciences.1978 Jun; 24(10):1064–77.
- Beath CM. Supporting the information technology champions.MIS quarterly. 1991 Sep; 15(3):355–72.
- Wixom RT, Watson H. An empirical investigation of the factor affecting data warehousing success. MIS quarterly.2001 Mar; 25(1):17–32.
- Overby S. People use your systems, remember?; 2003 Apr.
- McKeen JD, Guimaraes T. Successful strategies for user participation in system development. Journal of Management Information Systems. 1997 Sep; 14(2):133–50.
- King WR, Teo TSH. Key dimensions of facilitatiors and inhibitiors for the strategic use of information technology.Journal of Management Information Systems. 1996 Mar; 12(4):35–53.
- Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam. Garis Panduan Kepakaran ICT Sektor Awam [Internet]. 2010 [cited 2010]. Available from: http://docs.jpa.gov.my/docs/pnerbitan/panduan/2010/ Garis_Panduan_Pengiktirafan_Kepakaran_ICT1.pdf.
- Nicholas JM. Project management for business and technology.New Delhi: Prentice-Hall; 2003.
- Buruncuk G, Gulser Z. Factor affecting implementation of Information system success and failure. Management Information System Istambul; 2004. p. 1–10.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.