Total views : 164
Advancements and Benefits of Stereoscopic 3D (S3D) in Games Development
Stereoscopic 3D (S3D) has been developed years ago more in the movie industry and the gaming industry. This paper evaluates the benefits versus the adverse effects that it has on people and conclude whether it is worth considering in the gaming industry. To achieve the desired outcome, we are going to review past studies conducted by researchers and then cumulate the solutions that they have given to finally decide on the whether it is worth considering in the industry. The research that was conducted showed that many papers have discussed a specific problem and tested a few hypotheses and eventually came up with a solution. This paper has summarised the previous papers where the solutions were found and then, has chosen the once that upon application can eventually enhance the experience of the viewer. Many of the researchers have discussed about the depth adjustments, parallax errors and quality of experience. Hence suggesting that, these are the most important factors to be focused on if we want to remove the discomforts.
Anaglyph, Game Depth, Gaming, Graphic Card, Interactive Game, Immersion, Monoscopic, Playing Discomfort, Polarization, Quality of Experience, Stereoscopic 3D-Virtual Reality, S3D.
- Costa LCP, Correa AGD, Jose MA, Lotto EP, Martinazzo AAG, Biazon LC, Ficheman IK, Nagamura M, Lopes RD, Zuffo MK. 3D Stereoscopic game development technique for smart TVs. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE); 2014 Jan 10–13. p. 1–2.
- Gutierrez J, Jaureguizar F, Garcia N. (2015). Subjective comparison of consumer television technologies for 3D visualization. Journal of Display Technology. 2015; 11(11):967–74.
- Mahoney N, Oikonomou A, Wilson D. (2011). Stereoscopic 3D in video games: a review of current design practices and challenges. 16th International Conference on Computer Games (CGAMES); 2011 Jul 27–30. p. 148–55.
- Takatalo J, Kawai T, Kaistinen J, Nyman G, Hakkinen J.User experience in 3D stereoscopic. Media Psychology.2011; 14(4):387–414.
- Schild J, LaViola JJ, Masuch M. Altering gameplay behavior using stereoscopic 3D vision-based video game design. The Third Dimension. 2014; 1(1):207–16.
- Schild J, La Viola JJ, Maic M. Understanding user experience in stereoscopic 3D games. In the Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems; 2012. p. 89–98.
- Yuan H, Calic J, Kondoz A. Analysis of user requirements in interactive 3D video systems. Advances in HumanComputer Interaction. 2012 Jan; 2012(21):1–11.
- Tam WJ, Speranza F, Yano S, Shimono K, Ono H.Stereoscopic 3D-TV: visual comfort. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transactions on Broadcasting. 2011; 57(2):335–46.
- Ardouin J, Lecuyer A, Marchal M, Marchand E. Design and evaluation of methods to prevent frame cancellation in real-time stereoscopic rendering. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Symposium on 3D User Interfaces (3DUI); 2011 Mar 19–20. p. 95–8.
- Benzeroual K, Allison RS. (2013). Cyber (motion) sickness in active stereoscopic 3D gaming. 2013 Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) International Conference on 3D Imaging (IC3D); 2013 Dec 3–5. p. 1–7.
- Lopez JP, Rodrigo JA, Jimenez D, Menendez JM. Stereoscopic 3D video quality assessment based on depth maps and video motion. Journal on Image and Video Processing. 2013 Dec; 1(62):1–14.
- Keebler JR, Jentsch F, Schuster D. The effects of video game experience and active stereoscopy on performance in combat identification tasks. Human Factors. 2014; 56(8):1482–96.
- Cho EJ, Lee KM, Cho SM, Choi YH. Effects of stereoscopic movies: The positions of stereoscopic objects and the viewing conditions. Displays. 2014; 1(35):59–65.
- Shao F, Li Z, Jiang Q, Jiang G, Yu M, Peng Z. Visual discomfort relaxation for stereoscopic 3D images by adjusting zero-disparity plane for projection. Displays. 2015; 1(39):125–32.
- Amin HU, Malik AS, Badruddin N, Kamel N, Hussain M.Effects of stereoscopic 3D display technology on EventRelated Potentials (ERPs). 7th International Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)/EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering (NER). 2015 Apr; 1(1):1084–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.