Total views : 299
A Review of Traffic Congestion Problem and Various Automated Traffic Measurement Sensors and Techniques
Traffic congestion has been a worldwide issue which results into wastage of time, energy and causes environmental pollution. Identification of congestion is the initial step for selecting appropriate method to avoid this situation. To understand congestion in simple way it is classified into different categories. There are number of reasons for the congestion problem. There are numerous potential congestion administration procedures. The suggested two related measures are for traffic management are; Regularity measures and Economic measures. Regularity measures are access management and parking management and pricing policies are economic measures. Economic measures are considered as basic interest side administration measures which can change human practices to maintain a strategic distance from congestion. There are now distinctive sorts of strategies and computerized sensor frameworks exists to examine traffic density and to tackle congestion issue depending on the traffic nature. This paper introduces an outline and possible ways for the identification of traffic congestion problem. The review covers various aspects like definition, congestion categories, characterization and traffic congestion management. This paper reviews different sensor frameworks by encircling the advantages and disadvantages of each in terms of cost, reliability, accuracy, efficiency and maintenance overhead.
Congestion Categories; Congestion Management; Data Collection Techniques, Traffic Congestion.
- Jagannathan R(Leidos), Hesham Rakha (VTTI), Joe Bared (FHWA), Neil Spiller (FHWA) VASITE 2014 Annual Meeting – VA Beach. June 26, 2014.
- Yamamoto S, Hieida Y, Tadaki S.. Effects of bottlenecks on vehicle traffic. Journal of the Physical Society of Japan. 2006; 75(11). 114601. DOI:10.1143/jpsj.75.114601.
- Geography of TransportSystems. 2016 July 04. Available from: . https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/methods/bottlenecks.html.
- Mohamad KH. A Framework For Intelligent Decision Support System For Traffic Congestion Management System. Engineering 2010; 02: 270–89..
- Managing urban traffic congestion. European conference of ministers of transport, OCSE, OECD and ECMT. . Paris, France: OECD Publication; 2007.
- Evaluation Of Traffic Congestion Relieving Options With Using Cost-Benefit Analysis. 1st ed. University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong. 2005.
- Rao AM. Rao KR..Measuring Urban Traffic Congestion: A Review. International Journal for Traffic and Transport Engineering. 2(4): 286–305. DOI:10.7708/ijtte.2012.2(4).01
- Klein LA, Mills MK, Gibson DRP. Traffic detector handbook. 3rd ed. Georgetown Pike McLean, VA: FHWA-HRT-06-108;2006.
- Mathew T, Ravishankar K. Automated traffic measurement for mixed vehicle-types. Transportation Letters. 3(2):109–22. DOI:10.3328/tl.2011.03.02.109-122
- Lomax STT, Turner S, Shunk G, Levinson HS, Pratt RH, Bay PN, Douglas GB. Quantifying congestion. Volume 1, NCHRP Final Report 398. Washington, D.C: TransportationResearch Board. p.108.
- Real Time Traffic Counting Systemusing Video Image Processing. 2016 July 17. Available from: https://coeut.iitm.ac.in/umcsp/pdfweb/1a2Subhashis%20Chaudhuri_IITB.pdf
- Cheung SY, Coleri S, Dundar B, Tan C, Varaiya P ―Traffic Measurement and Vehicle Classification with a Single Magnetic Sensor. Journal of the Transportation Research Board. 2004; 1917
- Christidis P, Juan Nicolás Ibáñez Rivas. Measuring road congestion. 2012. Available from: http://ftp.jrc.es/EURdoc/JRC69961.pdf
- Intermodal T,Transportation S. Measuring Traffic Congestion. Journal of the Transportation Research Board. 1994; 98:93–9.
- Jain V, Sharma A, Subramanian L. Road traffic congestion in the developing world. Proceedings of the 2nd ACM Symposium on Computing for Development - ACM DEV '12, Atlanta, Georgia. 2012. DOI:10.1145/2160601.2160616
- Congestion Identification and Bottleneck Prediction. 2016 July 15. Available from: http://vasite.org/images/downloads/2014_Annual_Meeting_Presentations/2014_congestion_identification_and_bottleneck_prediction.pdf
- Byrne GE, Mulhall SM. Congestion management data requirement and comparisons, Transportation Research Record. Journal of the Transportation Research Board 1995; 1499:28–36.
- Measuring Traffic Congestion- A Critical Review. 30th Australasian Transport Research Forum, Melobourne, Victoria, Australia. 2004.p. 1–16.
- Cottrell WD. Measurement of the extent and duration of traffic congestion in urban areas.Proceedings of the 61st Annual Meeting, Institute of Transportation Engineers. 1991. 427–32.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.