Total views : 170
Interactive Trial Room – A Solution to Reduce the Problem of Rampant Return of Sold Merchandise in Fashion E-Commerce Business
Objectives: To offer a software based solution to reduce the problem of rampant returns of sold merchandise in fashion e-commerce business. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The primary research data was collected via a questionnaire filled by customers buying apparel online. Cluster sampling was done by dividing sampling population into a group (based on geographical proximity as Bengaluru) called city cluster that has correlation with the main variable online shopping (as in stratified sampling) and then the selected age group (18-35) using SRS technique. Data was also collected via indepth interviews conducted with stakeholders of e-commerce industry in Bengaluru. Findings: The analysis shows that 42% of fashion apparel is returned because of the problem of size and fit. The correlation between variables where people shifted away from shopping online to shopping offline, in the last six months, points to inability to check size and fit while shopping online. 67% of online shoppers also had a view point that if virtual fitting solution were to be provided, it would help in selecting the right size and fit. According to research released by Body Labs1, 23% of all clothing purchased online is returned. According to Forbes study, of 20112, those that do click on the buy button, many find that their best guess was incorrect upon receiving the item. About 70% of garment returns are because the garment didn't fit as the customer expected. The data was also collected via personal interviews of key executives of some of the largest e-commerce companies in India, and according to them, the returns percentage ranged from 12% to 25%. Improvements: The proposed solution helps customers shopping online to virtually try the garment before buying and suggests the right fit for them and therefore has the potential to reduce returns.
Brick-and-Mortar, E-Commerce, E-Retail, Fashion Apparel, Fit and Size, Interactive Trial Room.
- KPMG and IAMAI joint study report[Internet]. 2014 [cited 2014Mar9]. Available from: Crossref.
- Costa ML. Online fashion is extension of the high street[Internet]. 2010 [updated 2014May2;cited 2010 Oct 13]. Available from: Crossref.
- GSI commerce for marketing week[Internet]. 2013 [cited 2013 Mar4]. Available from: Crossref.
- Mathew C. Three future waves of innovation in e-commerce for fashion and amp; apparel[Internet]. 2011 [updated 2015Feb3;cited 2011Nov 1]. Available from: Crossref.
- Rankin P, Me F. Back to the future: transforming the apparel purchase journey [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2014Feb2]. Available from: Crossref.
- Graham C. E-consultancy retailers need to improve their returns processes [Internet]. 2011 [updated 2014 Jun 20;cited 2011 Jun 9]. Available from: Crossref.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.