Total views : 258
Bathroom Greywater Bioremediation by Microalgae Botryococcus sp.
Objectives: Greywater is generated from domestic wastewater which refers to the untreated wastewater that is collected from household activities such as baths, showers, washing machines, laundry troughs, dishwashers and kitchen sinks, except toilet wastes. Malaysia is experiencing water pollution crisis recently, particularly direct discharge of greywater into the drains. Therefore, phycoremediation of greywater with microalgae is advocated. This study involves phycoremediation of bathroom greywater by microalgae Botryococcus sp. The objective of this research is to measure the efficiency of Botryococcus sp. in assimilating pollutant load. Method: Botryococcus sp. was inoculated in bathroom greywater with 106 cell/ml for phycoremediation process. Findings: The study was carried out to compare the bathroom greywater parameter for initial and after phycoremediation. However, the microalgae Botryococcus sp. grown in bathroom greywater from house A, house B and house C reduced the pollutant load of BOD5 99 %, 86 % and 95 %, COD 87 %, 85.6 % and 85.8 %, and NH4 + 98 %, 93 %, 92 % on the 18th day of phycoremediation respectively. Application/Improvement: This study proved that the cultivation of microalgae in bathroom greywater was successful in addition to produce sustainable biomass products for future application.
Bathroom Greywater, Botryococcus sp., Microalgae, Phycoremediation.
- Mohamed RMSR, Chan CM, Senin H, Kassim AHM.Feasibility of the direct filtration over peat filter media for bathroom greywater treatment. 2014; 5(6):2021–9.
- Hourlier F, Masse A, Jaouen P, Lakel A, Gerente C, Faur C. Formulation of synthetic greywater as an evaluation tool for wastewater recycling technologies. Environmental Technology. 2010; 31(2):215–23.
- Al-jayyousi OR. Greywater reuse, towards sustainable water management. Desalination.2003 May; 56:4–8.
- Galvis A, Zambrano DA, Van Der Steen NP, Gijzen HJ.Evaluation of pollution prevention options in the municipal water cycle. Journal of Clean Production. 2014; 66:599–609.
- Razzak SA, Hossain MM, Lucky RA, Bassi AS, de Lasa H.Integrated CO2 capture, wastewater treatment and biofuel production by microalgae culturing—A review. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews.2013; 27:622–53.
- Abdel-Raouf N, Al-HomaidanAA, Ibraheem IBM.Microalgae and wastewater treatment. Saudi Journal of Biological Science. 2012 Jul; 19(3):257–75.
- Sahani BS. Characterization and treatment of grey water using sequencing batch reactor.
- Teh XY, Poh PE, Gouwanda D, Chong MN. Decentralized light greywater treatment using aerobic digestion and hydrogen peroxide disinfection for non-potable reuse.Journal of Cleaner Production. 2015; 99:305–11.
- Li F, Wichmann K, Otterpohl R. Review of the technological approaches for grey water treatment and reuses. Science of the Total Environment. 2009; 407(11):3439–49.
- Chaillou K, Gérente C, Andrès Y, Wolbert D. Bathroom greywater characterization and potential treatments for reuse. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution. 2011; 215(1–4):31–42.
- Pidou M, Avery L, Stephenson T, Jeffrey P, Parsons S, Liu S.Chemical solutions for greywater recycling.Chemosphere. 2008; 71(1):147–55.
- Eriksson E, Auffarth K, EilersenAM, Henze M, LedinA.Household chemicals and personal care products as sources for xenobiotic organic compounds in grey wastewater.Water SA. 2003; 29(2):135–46.
- Gokulan R, Sathish N, Kumar RP. Treatment of grey water using hydrocarbon producing Botryococcus braunii. 2013; 5(3):1390–2.
- Gani P, Sunar NM, LatiffAA, Kamaludin NS, Parjo UK, Emparan Q. Experimental study for phycoremediation of Botryococcus sp. on greywater. Applied Mechanical Material; 2015. p. 773–4.
- Bani-Melhem K, Al-Qodah Z, Al-Shannag M, Qasaimeh A, Rasool Qtaishat M, Alkasrawi M. On the performance of real grey water treatment using a submerged membrane bioreactor system. Journal of Membrane Science. 2015; 476:40–9.
- Rao PH, Kumar RR, Raghavan BG, Subramanian VV, Sivasubramanian V. Application of phycoremediation technology in the treatment of wastewater from a leather-processing chemical manufacturing facility. 2011; 37(1):7–14.
- Aslan S, Kapdan IK. Batch kinetics of nitrogen and phosphorus removal from synthetic wastewater by algae.Ecological Engineering. 2006; 28(1):64–70.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.