Total views : 163
Annexing Green Building Rating Points through Multipurpose Vertical Light Pipes
Objective: To determine how many points can be annexed in a green building by a combination of the two processes and test the viability of combining daylight and rainwater harvesting in a pipe. Method/Analysis: An experiment was carried out using a 4m (width) x 6m(height) x 12m(depth) model at a scale of 1:25. Three light pipes of different transparency were used. The first pipe has a fully transparent surface, allowing most of the light to penetrate. The second pipe has a translucent surface. Light that penetrate through it would be partial, with the translucent surface acting like a layer of diffuser to diffuse the light. The third pipe is a combination of transparent and translucent surface. Water will act as the transporting medium for light and at the same time as a barrier for heat to enter. Although water does have certain amount of thermal mass, the heat stored in water can be minimized by circulating the water throughout the system. Findings: Up to 13 points could be earned in non-residential new construction (NRNC), while up to 15 points in Residential New Construction (RNC). Application/Improvement: The novelty of this study proposes the use of a tube for daylighting and rainwater harvesting simultaneously in a space through an experimental process at a small scale. This result could be further developed to an industrial scale for commercial purposes.
Advocacy Monitoring, Decision Tree C4.5, Search Approach, Support Vector Machine.
- Lim Y-W, Kandar MZ, Ahmad MH, Ossen DR, Abdullah AM. Building façade design for daylighting quality in typical government office building. Building and Environment.2012; 57:194–204.
- Veitch J. Creating high-quality workplaces using lighting.Creating the Productive Workplace. 1999 Dec; 13:207–23.
- Dodo YA, Nafida R, Zakari A, Elnofaty AS, Nyakuma BB, Bashir FM. Attaining points for certification of green building through choice of paint, Chemical Engineering Transactions. 2015, 45:1879–84.
- Rain water harvesting - an imminent necessity. Green Fanatics [Internet]. [cited ]2015. Available from: http:// green-fanatic.blogspot.my/.
- Howard C. Light tube. Wikipedia , the free encyclopedia [Internet]. [cited 2006]. Available from: https:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/light_tube.
- GBI Rating System. Green Building Index [Internet]. [cited 2016 May 28]. Available from: http://new.greenbuildingindex.org/how/system.
- Solar Poster [Internet]. [cited 2006]. Available from: http:// www.heliodons.org/assets/solar-poster.jpg.
- Roshan M, Kandar MZ, Mohammadi MP, Dodo YA.Empirical validation of daylight simulation tool for a test office with anidolic daylighting system. Journal of Basic Applied Science Research. 2013; 3(9):104–12.
- Lechner N. Heating, cooling, lighting: sustainable design methods for architects. John Wiley & Sons: Hoboken, NJ; 2009.
- Mesloub A, Kandar MZ, Dodo YA. Investigating use of daylight in a typical algerian public classroom typology.Journal of Technology. 2015; 77(15):21–30.
- World weather and climate information. Weather and climate: Malaysia, average monthly rainfall, sunshine, temperature, humidity, wind speed [Internet]. [cited 2016 May 28]. Available from: https://weather-and-climate.com/averagemonthly-rainfall-temperature-sunshine-in-malaysia.
- Heng YS, Ossen DR, Lim YW. A Review on tropical and non-tropical light pipe design. 14th International Conference on Sustainable Environment and Architecture, Malaysia; 2013. p. 1–5.
- Hecht E. Optics. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley: New York; 2002.
- Glass vs Acrylic Malaysia. Characteristics and Application.Building Materials Malaysia [Internet]. [cited 2016 May 28]. Available from: http://buildingmaterials.com.my/comparingglass-vs-acrylic/.
- Lim Y-W, Ahmad MH, Ossen DR. Internal shading for efficient tropical daylighting in malaysian contemporary high-rise open plan office. Indoor and Built Environment.2012; 22(6):932–51.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.