Total views : 597
Social media and Relationship Marketing Strategies of Malaysian Car Brands
Objectives: This paper aimed to provide an overview of social media marketing strategies used by Malaysian car brands and analysis of their success. Method: Data collected through content analysis method to the top 10 Malaysian car brands’ website and their Facebook platform. Findings: This study found that all brands have at least two social media presence and Facebook is the most popular platform among others. It indicated that the Malaysian car brands have begun to fully embrace the enormous benefits that social media offers. Furthermore, marketing strategies adopted by Malaysian car a brand in Facebook is congruent with the motive of the customer engages with them in social media. For this reason, this study suggests that most of them succeed in social media marketing campaign. Contribution/Value: Literatures related to social media is still limited, thus the finding of this study contributes to the knowledge and provides an insight to the Automotive Industry practitioners on their current practices and performances. We end this paper with limitations and suggestions for future research.
Content Analysis, Facebook, Malaysian Car Brands, Relationship Marketing, Social Media.
- We are social. 2016. Available from: http://wearesocial.com/special- reports/digital-in-2016
- ComScore. 2015. Available from: http://www.comscore.com/it_is_a_social_world
- Hennig-Thurau T, Malthouse EC, Friege C, Gensler S, Lobschat L, Rangaswamy A, Skiera B. The impact of new media on customer relationship. Journal of Service Research. 2010; 13(3): 311–30.
- Ioakimidis M. Online marketing of professional sports clubs: Engaging fans on a new playing field. International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship. 2010; 11(4):271–82.
- Treadaway C, Smith M. Facebook marketing: An hour a day. 2nd ed. New York, Indianapolis: John Wiley and Sons; 2012.
- Abeza G, O’Reilly N, Reid I. Relationship marketing and social media in sport. International Journal of Sport Communication. 2013; 6:120–42.
- Calliduscloud. 2015. Available from: http://www.leadformix.com/short-takes/should-you-advertise-onsocialmedia.html
- An analysis of the increasing impact of social and other new media on public relations practice. 2016. Available from: http://www.instituteforpr.org/wp-content/uploads/ Wright_Hinson_PR_Miami.pdf
- Bartlett M. How to use social media to develop realtor relationships.Credit Union Journal. 2010; 14(39):1–4.
- Hackworth BA, Kunz MB. Health care and social media: Building relationships via social networks. Academy of Health Care Management Journal. 2010; 6(1):55–67.
- Social media initiatives help build relationships. 2013.Available from: www.docstoc.com/docs/44023184/Socialmediainitiatives-help-build- relationships/
- Selina D, Milz T. Social media will be a driving force for relationship development. Credit Union Journal. 2009; 13(32):16.
- Mun WF, Mei Li L. Fernandez PR. Social life connects the world: Malaysian youth’s usage behavior of social network sites. International Journal of Arts and Sciences. 2011; 4(3):157–78.
- Shu Xu C. The emergence of social media in Malaysia: Customers perceptions of the effectiveness of AirAsia weblog. [Master thesis]. University Tunku Abdul Rahman; 2012.
- Shojaee S, Azman A. An evaluation of factors affecting brand awareness in the context of social media in Malaysia.Asian Social Science. 2013; 9(17):72–8.
- Sarwar A, Haque A, Yasmin F. The usage of social network as a marketing tool: Malaysian Muslim Consumers’ Perspective. International Journal of Academic Research in Economics and Management Sciences. 2013 Jan; 201(2):93–102.
- Hassan S, Shiratuddin N, Salam S. Social media as persuasive technology for business in Malaysia. IJEBR. 2015; 11(2):18–39.
- Haida A, Rahim HL. Social media advertising value: A study on consumer’s perception. International Academic Research Journal of Business and Technology. 2015; 1(1):1– 8.
- Samat MF, Hashim H, Yusoff RNR. Endorser credibility and its influence on the attitude towards social media advertisement in Malaysia. Society of Interdisciplinary Business Research; 2014. p. 144–59.
- Ainin S, Parveen F, Moghavvemi S, Jaafar NI. Factor influencing Facebook adoption by SMEs and performance outcomes. Industrial Management and Data Systems. 2015; 115(3):570–88.
- Shahizan H, Norshuhada S, Nor Laily H. Sobihatun Nur AS, Mohd Samsu S. Social media for business: Knowledge gathering through focus group session with business owners.Knowledge Management International Conference (KMICe); Johor Bahru, Malaysia. 2012.
- Zaki NA, Ross M, Weaven S, Shao W. The role of social media in Business-to-Business relationship marketing.International Journal of Technical Research and Application. 2014; 2(Special Issue 4):45–9.
- Tafesse W. Content strategies and audience response on Facebook brand pages. Marketing Intelligence and Planning. 2015; 33(6):927–43.
- Kaplan AM, Haenlein M. Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media. Business Horizons. 2010; 53:59–68.
- Berthon PR, Pitt LF, Plangger K, Shapiro D. Marketing meets Web 2.0, social media and creative consumers: Implications for international marketing strategy. Business Horizons. 2012; 55:261–71.
- Kietzmann J, Hermkens K, McCarthy IP. Silvestre BS.Social media? Get serious! Understanding the functional building blocks of social media. Business Horizons. 2011; 54(3):241–51.
- Air Asia CEO turns to Twitter for Crisis Management.2016. Available from: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/ articles/2015-01-05/airasia-ceo- tony-fernandes-managescrisiswith-social-media
- Van Doorn J, Lemon KN, Mittal V, Na S, Pick D, Pirner P, Verhoef P. Customer engagement behavior: Theoretical foundations and research directions. Journal of Service Research. 2010; 13(3):253–66.
- Consumer motivations to join a brand community on Facebook. 2016. Available from: https://helda.helsinki.fi/ bitstream/handle/10227/798/weman.pdf?sequence=2
- Rohm A, Velitchka D, George K, Milne R. A mixed-method approach to examining brand-consumer interactions driven by social media. Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing. 2013; 7(4):295–311.
- Muntinga DG, Moorman M, Smit EG. Introducing COBRAs: Exploring motivations for brand-related social media use. International Journal of Advertising. 2011; 30(1):13–46.
- Kim DH, Spiller L, Hettche M. Analyzing media types and content orientations in Facebook for global brands. Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing. 2015; 9(1):4–30.
- Luarn P, Lin YF, Chiu YP. Influence of Facebook brandpage posts on online engagement. Online Information Review. 2015; 39(4):505–19.
- Cvijikj IP, Michahelles F. Online engagement factors on Facebook brand pages. Social Network Analysis and Mining. 2013; 3(4):843–61.
- De Vries L, Gensler S. Leeflang PSH. Popularity of brand posts on brand fan pages, an investigation of the effects of social media marketing. Journal of Interactive Marketing.2012; 26(2):83–91.
- Murdough C. Social media measurement – It’s not impossible.Journal of Interactive Marketing. 2009; 10(1):94–9.
- Hoffman D. Fodor M. Can you measure the ROI of your social media marketing? MIT Sloan Management Review.2010; 52(1):40–9.
- TNS. Malaysian Internet users amongst the global social leaders. 2015. Available from: http://www.tnsglobal.com/ press- release/malaysian-internet-users- amongst-globalsocialleaders
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.