Total views : 224
Effect of Microwave Sintering Time and Homogenization Treatment on Biomedical Ti-51%Ni SMAs
Objective: The influence of microwave sintering time and Homogenization Treatment (HT) on the microstructure, density, phase composition, mechanical properties and phase transformation temperatures of biocompatible Ti-51%Ni Shape Memory Alloys (SMAs) are determined. Methods/Statistical Analysis: These alloys are fabricated at 900˚C for two different sintering times such as 5 min. and 30 min. Findings: The Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscopy (FESEM) micrographs show microstructure of needle-like morphology except for the sample which sintered at 900˚C for 30 min. without HT. Applications/Improvements: Sample synthesized at 900˚C for 30 min. without HT revealed the highest performance in terms of maximum compressive strength (1376 MPa) at 29% strain, Austenite finish temperature (Af) of 27˚C and Martensite finish temperature (Mf) of 47˚C at 18% porosity. They showed the Af temperature very close to the human body temperature, thus prospective for biomedical applications. During heating, the Differential Scanning Calorimeter (DSC) baseline shows multi-endothermic peaks, while during the cooling process there is only one exothermic peak.
Mechanical Properties, Microstructure, Powder Metallurgy, Ti-51%Ni SMAs.
- Biesiekierski A, Wang J, Gepreel MA-H, Wen C. A new look at biomedical Ti-based shape memory alloys. Acta biomaterialia. 2012; 8(5):1661–9.
- Oshida Y, Sachdeva R, Miyazaki S. Micro analytical characterization and surface modification of TiNi orthodontic archwires. Bio-medical Materials and Engineering. 1991; 2(2):51–69.
- Duerig TW, Melton K, Stockel D. Engineering aspects of shape memory alloys: Butterworth-Heinemann; 2013.
- Miyazaki S, Otsuka K. Development of shape memory alloys. ISIJ International. 1989; 29(5):353–77.
- Mishnaevsky L, Levashov E, Valiev RZ, Segurado J, Sabirov I, Enikeev N. Nanostructured titanium-based materials for medical implants: Modeling and development. Materials Science and Engineering: R: Reports. 2014; 81:1–19.
- Skorentsev L, Demidenko V. Energy difference and energy of mixing for crystalline structures of Ni-Ti-Mo alloys. Russian Physics Journal. 1995; 38(6):579–83.
- Hey J, Jardine A. Shape memory TiNi synthesis from elemental powders. Materials Science and Engineering: A. 1994; 188(1):291–300.
- Zhang N, Khosrovabadi PB, Lindenhovius J, Kolster B. TiNi Shape Memory Alloys prepared by normal sintering. Materials Science and Engineering: A. 1992; 150(2):263–70.
- Green S, Grant D, Kelly N. Powder metallurgical processing of Ni–Ti shape memory alloy. Powder metallurgy. 1997; 40(1):43–7.
- Igharo M, Wood J. Compaction and sintering phenomena in titanium-nickel shape memory alloys. Powder Metallurgy. 1985; 28(3):131–9.
- Morris D, Morris M. Ni-Ti intermetallic by mixing, milling and interdiffusing elemental components. Materials Science and Engineering: A. 1989; 110:139–49.
- Zhao Y, Taya M, Kang Y, Kawasaki A. compression behavior of porous Ni-Ti shape memory alloy. Acta materialia. 2005; 53(2):337–43.
- Bertheville B, Neudenberger M, Bidaux JE. Powder sintering and shape-memory behavior of NiTi compacts synthesized from Ni and TiH2. Materials Science and Engineering: A. 2004; 384(1):143–50.
- Li BY, Rong LJ, Li YY. Porous NiTi alloy prepared from elemental powder sintering. Journal of Materials Research. 1998; 13(10):2847–51.
- Zanotti C, Giuliani P, Terrosu A, Gennari S, Maglia F. Porous Ni–Ti ignition and combustion synthesis. Intermetallics. 2007; 15(3):404–12.
- Li BY, Rong LJ, Li YY, Gjunter V. A recent development in producing porous Ni–Ti shape memory alloys. Intermetallics. 2000; 8(8):881–4.
- Aust E, Limberg W, Gerling R, Oger B, Ebel T. Advanced bone screw implant fabricated by metal injection moulding. Advanced Engineering Materials. 2006; 8(5):365–70.
- Benson J, Chikwanda H. The challenges of titanium metal injection moulding. Journal for New Generation Sciences. 2009; 7(3):1–14.
- Xu J, Bao L, Liu A, Jin X, Tong Y, Luo J, et al. Microstructure, mechanical properties and super elasticity of biomedical porous NiTi alloy prepared by microwave sintering. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2015; 46:387–93.
- Tang C, Zhang L, Wong C, Chan K, Yue T. Fabrication and characteristics of porous Ni-Ti shape memory alloy synthesized by microwave sintering. Materials Science and Engineering: A. 2011; 528(18):6006–11.
- Tang C, Wong C, Zhang L, Choy M, Chow T, Chan K, et al. In situ formation of Ti alloy/TiC porous composites by rapid microwave sintering of Ti6Al4V/MWCNTs powder. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2013; 557:67–72.
- Oghbaei M, Mirzaee O. Microwave versus conventional sintering: A review of fundamentals, advantages and applications. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2010; 494(1):175–89.
- Das S, Mukhopadhyay A, Datta S, Basu D. Prospects of microwave processing: An overview. Bulletin of Materials Science. 2009; 32(1):1–13.
- Sadrnezhaad SK, Lashkari O. Property change during fixtured sintering of Ni-Ti memory alloy. Materials and Manufacturing Processes. 2006; 21(1):87–96.
- Zhu S, Yang X, Hu F, Deng S, Cui Z. Processing of porous TiNi shape memory alloy from elemental powders by Ar-sintering. Materials Letters. 2004; 58(19):2369–73.
- Laeng J, Xiu Z, Xu X, Sun X, Ru H, Liu Y. Phase formation of Ni-Ti via solid state reaction. PhysicaScripta. 2007; 2007(T129):250.
- Yang L, Tieu A, Dunne DP, Huang S, Li H, Wexler D. Cavitation erosion resistance of Ni-Ti thin films produced by Filtered Arc Deposition. Wear. 2009; 267(1):233–43.
- Chu Cl, Chung JC, Chu PK. Effects of heat treatment on characteristics of porous Ni-rich NiTi SMA prepared by SHS technique. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China. 2006; 16(1):49–53.
- Dovchinvanchig M, Zhao C, Zhao S, Meng X, Jin Y, Xing Y. Effect of Nd addition on the microstructure and Martensitic transformation of Ni-Ti shape memory alloys. Advances in Materials Science and Engineering. 2014; 2014:1–6.
- Gao Z, Li Q, He F, Huang Y, Wan Y. Mechanical modulation and bioactive surface modification of porous Ti–10Mo alloy for bone implants. Materials and Design. 2012; 42:13–20.
- Mentz J, Frenzel J, Wagner MF-X, Neuking K, Eggeler G, Buchkremer HP, et al. Powder metallurgical processing of Ni-Ti Shape Memory Alloys with elevated transformation temperatures. Materials Science and Engineering: A. 2008; 491(1):270–8.
- Yuan B, Zhang X, Chung C, Zhu M. The effect of porosity on phase transformation behavior of porous Ti–50.8 at. % Ni Shape Memory Alloys prepared by capsule-free hot isostatic pressing. Materials Science and Engineering: A. 2006; 438:585–8.
- Su P, Wu S. The four-step multiple stage transformation in deformed and annealed Ti49Ni51 shape memory alloy. Acta materialia. 2004; 52(5):1117–22.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.