Total views : 325
Reinforcement of Asphalt Concrete Mixture using Recycle Polyethylene Terephthalate Fibre
Objectives: To determine the reinforcing effect of a cheap Recycle Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) fibre on asphalt concrete strength. The aim of this study was achieved by performing Resilient Modulus (MR) test in the laboratory on both unreinforced (i.e. neat asphalt mixture) and recycle PET fibre reinforced asphalt concrete mixtures. Methods: The percentage additions of recycle PET fibres are 0.3%, 0.5%, 0.7% and 1% of the total weight of the mixture. The result was analyzed by means of Response Surface Methodology (RSM) using Design Expert 7.0 software and validated using analysis of variance (ANOVA). Findings: The results indicated that recycle PET fibres have significantly increased the mixtures’ resilient modulus in lower temperature hence improved fatigue resistance, and moderately increased mixtures, resilient modulus at higher temperature hence improved rutting resistance. Novelty/Improvement: This research has introduced a sustainable means of producing Recycle fibres for the reinforcement of asphalt concrete mixtures. Recycle PET fibre have proved to be effective in strength improvement at 0.7% of total weight of asphalt concrete mixture.
Fatigue, Fibre, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Resilient Modulus, Rutting, Temperature.
- Amuchi M, Abtahi SM, Koosha B, Hejazi M, Sheikhzeinoddin H. Reinforcement of steel-slag asphalt concrete using polypropylene fibers. journal of industrial textile. 2015; 44(4):526–41.
- Vadood M, Johari MS, Rahai AR. Relationship between fatigue life of asphalt concrete and polypropylene / polyester fibers using artificial neural network and genetic algorithm. journal of central south university. 2015; (22):1937–46.
- Gibson N, Li X. Characterizing cracking of asphalt mixtures with fiber reinforcement. transportation research record, journal of transportation research board. 2015; 2507:57–66.
- Park P, El-tawil S, Park S, Naaman AE. Cracking resistance of fiber reinforced asphalt concrete at à 20 ° c. construction and building materials. 2015; ( 81):47–57.
- Xiong R, Fang J, Xu A, Guan B, Liu Z. Laboratory investigation on the brucite fiber reinforced asphalt binder and asphalt concrete. construction and building materials. 2015; (83):44–52.
- Yoo PJ, Kim TW. Strengthening of hot-mix asphalt mixtures reinforced by polypropylene-impregnated multifilament glass fibres and scraps. construction and building materials. 2015; (75): 415–20.
- Xu Q, Chen H, Prozzi JA. Performance of fiber reinforced asphalt concrete under environmental temperature and water effects. construction and building materials. 2010; 24(10):2003–10.
- Chen H, Xu Q. Experimental study of fibers in stabilizing and reinforcing asphalt binder fuel .2010; 89(7):1616–22.
- Toraldo E, Mariani E, Crispino M. Laboratory investigation into the effects of fibers on bituminous mixtures. journal of civil engineering management. 2015; 21(1):45–53.
- Wu M-M, Li R, Zhang Y-Z, Fan L, Lv Y-C, Wei J-M. Stabilizing and reinforcing effects of different fibers on asphalt mortar performance. petroleum science. 2015; (12):189–96.
- Oda S, Leomar Fernandes J, Ildefonso JS. Analysis of use of natural fibers and asphalt rubber binder in discontinuous asphalt mixtures. construction and building materials. 2012; 26(1):13–20.
- Hoornweg D, Bhada-Tata P. What a waste: A global review of solid waste management. World Bank, Washington DC. 2012.
- Ran A. Evaluation of the suitability of low - density polyethylene (LDPE) waste as fine aggregate in concrete. Nigerian Journal of Technology. 2014; 33(4):409–25.
- Rahman W, Wahab AFA. Green pavement using recycled polyethylene terephthalate (pet) as partial fine aggregate replacement in modified asphalt. Procedia of Engineering. 2013; (53):124–28.
- Venkatachalam S, Nayak S, Labde J. Degradation and recyclability of poly (ethylene terephthalate). polyester. 2012: 75–98.
- Tapase AB, Kadam DB. Performance evaluation of polymer modified bitumen in flexible pavement. Journal of Environmental Research Development. 2014; 8(3):504–09.
- Sojobi AO, Nwobodo SE, Aladegboye OJ, Pratico FG. Recycling of polyethylene terephthalate (pet) plastic bottle wastes in bituminous asphaltic concrete. cogent engineering. 2016; 3(1):1–28.
- Costa LMB, Silva HMRD, Oliveira JRM, Fernandes SRM. Incorporation of waste plastic in asphalt binders to improve their performance in the pavement. International Journal of Pavement Research Technology. 2013; 6(4):457–64.
- Sk AS, Prasad KSB. Utilization of waste plastic as a strength modifier in surface course of flexible and rigid pavements. International Journal of Engineering Research Application. 2012; 2(4):185–91.
- Chavan M. Use of plastic waste in flexible pavements. International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering Management. 2013; 2(4):540–52.
- Jassim HM, Mahmood OT, Ahmed SA. Optimum use of plastic waste to enhance the marshall properties and moisture resistance of hot mix asphalt. International Journal of Engineering Trends Technology. 2014; 7(1):18–25.
- Lo Presti D. Recycled tyre rubber modified bitumens for road asphalt mixtures: A Literature Review. Construction and Building Materials. 2013; (49):863–81.
- Fang C, Liu X, Yu R, Liu P, Lei W. Preparation and properties of asphalt modified with a composite composed of waste package poly(vinyl chloride) and organic montmorillonite. Journal of Materials Science Technology. 2014; 30(12):1304–10.
- Zhu J, Birgisson B, Kringos N. Polymer modification of bitumen: advances and challenges. European Polymer Journal. 2014; 54(1):18–38.
- Oluwasola EA, Hainin MR, Aziz MMA. Evaluation of asphalt mixtures incorporating electric arc furnace steel slag and copper mine tailings for road construction. Transportation Geotechnics. 2011; (2):47–55.
- AASHTO-T312-11. Standard method of test for preparing and determining the density of hot-mix asphalt (hma) specimens by means of the super pave gyratory compactor. Washington, American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials. 2011.
- Tapkin S. The Effect of polypropylene fibers on asphalt performance. Building Environment. 2008; 43(6):1065–71.
- Xue Y, Qian Z. Development and performance evaluation of epoxy asphalt concrete modified with mineral fiber. Construction and Building Materials. 2016; (102):378–83.
- Xue Y, Hou H, Zhu S, Zha J. Utilization of municipal solid waste incineration ash in stone mastic asphalt mixture: pavement performance and environmental impact. Construction and Building Materials. 2009; 23(2):989–96.
- ASTM-D4123-82. Standard test method for indirect tension test for resilient modulus of bituminous mixtures in standard test method for indirect tension test for resilient modulus of bituminous mixtures. American Society of Testing and Materials Washington, ASTM D4123-82 1995.
- Tayfur S, Ozen H, Aksoy A. Investigation of rutting performance of asphalt mixtures containing polymer modifiers. Construction and Building Materials. 2007; 21(2):328–37.
- Moghaddam TB, Soltani M, Karim MR. Optimization of asphalt and modifier contents for polyethylene terephthalate modified asphalt mixtures using response surface methodology. Measurement. 2015; (74):159–69.
- Haghshenas HF, Khodaii A, Hossain M, Gedafa DS. Stripping potential of HMA and SMA : A Study Using Statistical Approach. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 2013; 27(11):1–6.
- Haghshenas HF, Khodaii A, Khedmati M, Tapkin S. A mathematical model for predicting stripping potential of Hot Mix Asphalt. Construction and Building Materials. 2015; (75):488–95.
- Bradley N. the Response Surface Methodology. Indiana University South Bend. 2007.
- Montgomery JD. Design and analysis of experiments. 6th editio. New York: Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- Khodaii A, Haghshenas HF, Kazemi Tehrani H, Khedmati M. Application of response surface methodology to evaluate stone matrix asphalt stripping potential. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering. 2013; 17(1):117–21.
- Abdullah ME. Performance of warm mix asphalt ( WMA ) mixture using nano clay modified asphalt binder. PhD thesis, University Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia. 2014.
- Khodaii A, Khedmati M, Haghshenas HF, Khedmati M. Statistical evaluation of hot mix asphalt resilient modulus using a central composite design. International Journal of Pavement Research Technology. 2014; 7(6):445–50.
- Ahmad J, Izzi N, Rosli M, Yusof M, Rahman A. Investigation into hot-mix asphalt moisture-induced damage under tropical climatic conditions. Construction and Building Materials 2014; (50):567–76.
- Mirzapour S, Rehan M, Khodaii A. Geotextiles and Geomembranes Evaluation of permanent deformation of geogrid reinforced asphalt concrete using dynamic creep test. Geotextiles Geomembranes. 2015. 44, p. 109–16.
- Chen JS, Lin KYI. Mechanism and behavior of bitumen strength reinforcement using fibers. Journal of Material Science. 2005; 40(1):87–95.
- Idham M, Hainin M, Haryati Y, Warid M, Abdullah ME. Effect of aging on resilient modulus of hot mix asphalt mixtures. Advance Materials Research. 2013; (723):291–97.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.