Total views : 250
Development of Research Topic Map for Analyzing Institute Performed R&D Projects-based on NTIS Data
Objectives: To figure out how to provide analysis results on changes in research topic trends of the institute which have performed national R&D projects through a knowledge-map after analyzing the data based on national R&D projects provided by National Science & Technology Information Service (NTIS). Methods/Statistical Analysis: In a knowledge map, in general, basic data are created by extracting target data; analysis rules are applied to perform analysis. The analyzed results are stored in the result database used in a knowledge map and shown using a knowledge map tool. To analyze research topics of the research institutes, Network analysis was conducted, and results were stored through the following procedures (Step 1: Create basic data, Step 2: Analysis on the size of R&D expenses, Step 3: Analysis of association relationship, Step 4: Expression of knowledge map). Findings: The Research Topic Map was implemented to help users easily figure out changes in research fields that are they are interested in. The Research Topic Map makes it easy to figure out changes in the research topics of the research institutes performed national R&D projects. It provides primary information such as the number of the research projects involved in the user-interested national R&D programs and size of R&D expenses. In addition, it offers diverse analysis results by analyzing changes in research fields. First, according to the comparison of changes in the size R&D expenses in top R&D fields, changes in key and promising sectors are found. In addition, it is able to estimate changes in total R&D expenses. Therefore, growth factors for research institutes can be examined. Particular research fields exist depending on the characteristics of college, hospital or research institute. Users are able to check changes in research fields considering the latest trends. Since correlations among research fields can be examined, furthermore, it would be possible to figure out research trends in a convergence field. Improvements/ Applications: The Research Topic Map visualizes Topic Trends information (ex: changes in research fields, changes in R&D expenses, relationship among research fields, etc.) as well as information on the projects performed by research institutes. It is meaningful in that service users are able to get data insight on research institutes.
Knowledge-Map, NTIS, R&D Data Insight, R&D Projects, Topic Trends.
- Korea Database Agency. Database White Paper. 2014.Available from: https://www.kodb.or.kr/info/info_01_03.php
- Lee B, Lee JY, Kim D, Noh KR, Yang MS, Kwon OJ, Choi KN, Kim HJ. Morphological classification of knowledge map for science and technology and development of knowledge map examples in the view of information analysis. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2013; 13(11):461-76.
- Yang MS, Kang NK, Kim YJ, Kim JS, Choi KN, Kim YK.Expert recommendation system based on analyzing expertise and networks of human resources in national science & technology information service. Journal of Central South University. 2013; 20(8):2212-8.
- Kang NG, Park MW, Yang MS, Choi KN, Kim TH, Joo WK, Kwon OS. A development of service model for mapping the ecology of scientific research using national science & technology information service. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(S1):121–30.
- Yang MS, Kang NK, Kim TH, Joo WK, Park MW, Choi KN. An analysis of national R&D collaborators network based on the NTIS data. International Journal of Software Engineering and its Applications. 2014; l 8(11):11-24.
- Lee SK. National Science and technology classification standard management and supporting to use, KISTEP.2012. Available from: http://report.ndsl.kr/repDetail.do?cn=TRKO201400012810
- Kim TH, Yang MS, Kang NG, Choi KN. A study on the construction of national R&D data-based customized information curation system. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(23): 1-9.
- Jung BS, Kwon YK, Kwak SJ. A knowledge map based on a keyword-relation network by using a research paper database in the computer engineering field. Korea Information Processing Society. 2011; 18(6).
- Klavans R, Boyack KW. Using global mapping to create more accurate document-level maps of research fields.Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. 2011; 62(1):1-18.
- Leydesdorff L, Wagner C, Park HW, Adams J. International collaboration in science: The global map and the network.EI Professional de la Information. 2013.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.