Total views : 487
Impact of Advertising and Sales Promotion Expenses on the Sales Performance of Indian Telecommunication Companies
Objectives: To investigate the relationship between two marketing communication activities mainly advertising and sales promotion on the sales performance of Telecom companies. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Data related to Advertising and Sales promotions expenses of 3 telecom companies for the past 10 years was collected from their annual reports. Multiple regression analysis is used for modelling the relationship between the dependent variable i.e. Net sales and the independent variables of Advertising and Sales promotion activities. Findings: The findings suggest that there exists a significant predictive relationship of advertising spend and sales promotion spends with sales performance of Indian Telecom Companies. The study also proposes a significant model with good predictive power for future use for managers. Application/Improvements: The study will help the telecom operators find out if the spend on advertising, sales promotion and other marketing activity is leading to revenue generation. It will also help them decide an optimal marketing communication mix which will result in better sales performance and thereby increase revenues for the company.
Advertising, Multiple Regression Analysis, Optimal Marketing Mix, Sales Performance, Sales Promotion, Telecommunication.
- Article http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/PIRReport/Documents/Indicator_Report_05_August_2016.pdf Date accessed: 05/10/2016.
- Article Economic Times. India needs umbrella body on telecom: Date Accessed: 16/08/2012.
- Article Dharma Kumar, Rohin. India Telco’s: Battle of the Titans: Forbes.2011. Date Accessed: 19/08/2011.
- Article Kannan, Shilpa. India's 3G licence bidders bank on big changes. (Internet)BBC News: 2010. Date Accessed: 01/10/2010 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8607866.stm
- Article Vidhi Choudhary. Ad spending seen growing at 15.5% in 2016, driven by digital. Livemint E-paper. Date Accessed: 18/09/2016.http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/LjI3ZO4nYkN8DNdyMIlJlJ/Ad-spending-to-grow-at-155-in-2016-higher-than-2015s-14.html
- Article Riken Mehta. Are massive ad spends by telecom companies truly justified? Moneycontrol.com 2012. Date Accessed:05/10/2016 http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/market-edge/are-massive-ad-spends-by-telecom-companies-truly-justified_747060.html?utm_source=ref_article,
- Article Economic Times. Telco’s 4G push to help advertising sector grow 15% in 2016. Date Accessed: 11/11/2016 http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2016-01-03/news/69486476_1_advertising-industry-4g-services-pitch-madison-media-advertising-outlook
- Article Business Standard Reporter. Ad spend in India to grow at 15.5% in 2016 says Group M. January 2016. Date Accessed: 11/11/2016 http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/ad-spend-in-india-to-grow-at-15-5-in-2016-says-groupm-116012000014_1.html
- Broadbent, S. Advertising. In M. J. Baker (ed.). The IEBM encyclopaedia of marketing. London: International Thomson Business Press; 2001.
- Richards JI, and Curran CM. Oracles on advertising searching for a definition. Journal of Advertising. 2002. 31(2). p. 63–77.
- Frank J. Advertising. Pearson Education Limited, UK;2005
- Etzel MJ, Walker BJ, and Stanton WJ. Marketing. Boston: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.2007.
- Kotler P. and Armstrong G. Principles of Marketing (12th edition). Prentice Hall of India.2010
- Morden AR. Elements of Marketing. London: D.P.1991
- Kotler P. Marketing Management: Analysis Management and Accounting. Ile-Ife: Obafemi. 1988
- Frank J. Advertising. Pearson Education Limited, UK;2005
- Young CE. The Advertising Handbook, Ideas In flight, Scattle, W.A., ISBN 0- 9765574-0-1g7; 2005
- Richards JI, and Curran CM. Oracles on advertising: Searching for a definition. Journal of Advertising.2002. 31(2):63–77.
- Galbraith JK. The Affluent Society, New York: New American Library, (First Published in 1958).1976
- Cobb-Walgren C, Ruble CA, Donthu N. Brand equity, brand preference and purchase intent. Journal of Advertising. 1995; 24(3):25–40.
- Moorthy S, Hawkins SA. Advertising repetition and quality perception. Journal of Business Research. 2005. 58(3):354–60.
- Keller KL. Strategic brand management: Building, measuring, and managing brand equity. (3). New Delhi: Dorling Kindersley.2008.
- De Chernatony L. From brand vision to brand evaluation. The strategic process of growing and strengthening brands. 3rd Ed. Butterworth Heinemann; 2010.
- Arens WF. Contemporary advertising (Vol. 8). New York: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.2002
- Shimp TA. Integrated marketing communications in advertising and promotion (Vol. 7). Mason: OH, Thomson Higher Education.2007.
- Yoo B, Donthu N, Lee S. An examination of selected marketing mix elements and brand equity. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. 2000; 28(2):195–211.
- Villarejo AF, Sánchez MJ. The impact of marketing communication and price promotion on brand equity. Journal of Brand Management 2005; 12(6):431–45.
- Bravo R, Fraj E, Martínez E.Family as a source of consumer-based brand equity. The Journal of Product and Brand Management. 2007; 16(3):188–99.
- Blanchard K, Schewe C, Nelson R. and Hiam A. Exploring the World of Business. USA: Worth Publishers, Inc.1999
- Griffin RW and Pustay MW. International Business by Griffin and Pustay (5th, Fifth Edition). 2007
- William, Ferrel, Pride M, (1994) Marketing Research (New York, McCarthy and Engle et al 1991).
- Nijs VR, Dekimpe MG, Steenkamps JBE. and Hanssens DM. The category demand effects of price promotions. Marketing Sciences. 2001; 20 (1):1–22.
- Srinivasan SS, Anderson RE.Concepts and strategy guidelines for designing value enhancing sales promotions. The Journal of Product and Brand Management. 1998; 7(5):410–20.
- Palazón-Vidal M, Delgado-Ballester E. Sales promotions effects on consumer-based brand equity. International Journal of Market Research. 2005; 47(2):179–204.
- Montaner T, Pina JM. The effect of promotion type and benefit congruency on brand image. Journal of Applied Business Research. 2008; 24(3):15–28.
- Pride K. Sales and Relationships Manager at Rainbow Tourism Group Senior sales manager Rainbow Tourism Group - Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique. 1987.
- Ricky W, Ebert J. and Starke and A. Business: 5th Canadian ed. Canada: Pearson Education Canada Inc., Toronto, Ontario.2005 38. Griffin RW and Pustay MW. International Business by Griffin and Pustay (5th, Fifth Edition). 2007
- Boddewyn JJ and Leardi M. Sales Promotions: Practice, Regulation and Self-Regulation around the World. International Journal of Advertising. 1989; 8(4):363.
- Odunlami IB, Ogunsiji A. Effect of sales promotion as a tool on organizational performance. Journal of Emergency. Trends in Economics and management Sciences. (JETEMS). 2011; 2(1): 9-13.
- Dekimpe MG, et al. Long run effects of price promotion in scanner markets. Journal of econometrics. 1999; 89:269–291.
- Srini S, Srinivasan SS and Anderson RE. Concepts and strategy guidelines for designing value enhancing sales promotions. Journal of Product and Brand Management. 2000; 20007, 5:410–420.
- Pauwels K, Hanssens DM, and Siddarth S. The Long Term Effects of Price Promotions on Category Incidence, Brand Choice and Purchase Quantity. Journal of Marketing. 2002. p. 27–29.
- Article TRAI report Highlights of Telecom Subscription Data as on 31st July, 2016 (PDF). TRAI.2016 (Internet). Date Accessed: 11/11/2016 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_network_operators_of_India
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.