Total views : 155
A Study in Improvement Strategies in Rural Multicultural Elementary Schools in Korea
Objectives: To investigate possible improvements of rural multicultural elem1entary schools in Korea. Methods/ Statistical analysis: A survey of a total of 27 teachers at 3 multicultural elementary schools was conducted using a freeresponse questionnaire to collect their full opinions about improvement strategies in rural multicultural elementary schools; the survey responses were analyzed to identify the central concepts of their responses. Findings: The improvement plan for rural multicultural schools can be condensed to four main concepts: interactive experience, participation, diversity, and multicultural competence. For the experience, teachers themselves should receive multicultural education field experience. To promote multicultural sensitivity, the teachers mainly suggested multicultural learning by doing. In addition, the teachers suggested encouraging philanthropic and caring personalities and respect for diversity of students. Application/Improvements: Therefore, the study suggested that the proposed activation plans for these schools be implemented by considering central concepts such as experience orientation, participation orientation, diversity and multicultural competence.
Multicultural Education, Multicultural School, Rural Area.
- Lee CS, Hwang Y K. Structural relationship among social support, hope, stress and emotional intelligence of rural elementary school students in korea: The mediating effect of self-esteem. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016; 9(25):1–7.
- Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development.A plan of merging small scale schools in rural, mountainous, and fishery areas, and raising appropriate scale schools; 2006.
- Han MG. An analysis of current status of education and welfare in rural, mountainous, and fishery areas : Elementary and middle schools. Korea Education Development Institute; 2008.
- Kim SK, Kim YK, Cho AJ, Kim HR, Lee HG, Seol DH, Jeong KS, Shim IS. Survey of current status of national multicultural families. Policy Report of Korea; 2009, 2010.
- Yoon HS. The conflicts and adjustments of the foreign wives in rural Korea: With a Focus on Filipina wives. Proceedings of Korea Women’s Society; 2004 Oct.
- Lee HK. Marriage migration to south korea: issues, problems, and responses. Korea Journal of Population Studies.2005; 28(1):73–106.
- Im YK. Features of the rural education policy in Korea and its future directions. The Journal of Educational Administration. 2006; 4(4):27–49.
- Seo H, Lee SE. A study on the difficulties of children from international marriage families in agricultural regions.Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education.2007; 12(4):25–47.
- Park YK, Lee SY. Survey on the school lives of the students of multicultural families: Intergroup differences and intragroup diversities. Theory and Research in Citizenship Education. 2009; 41(1):41–71.
- Yang SM. Variables impacting the school life adjustment and family life happiness of the women marriage migrants family`s children in rural. The Korean Psychological Association. 2007; 12(4):559–76.
- Lee YI. Immigration and the challenge to the multi-cultural society: the integration of the immigrants in Germany and its implication for Korea. The Western History Review.2007; 92:219–54.
- Ma SJ, Choi KH. Factor for improving rural schools: Focused on elementary schools. Journal of Rural Development.2010; 33(1):115–37.
- Lee DH. An ethnography on educational activities of three middle schools in rural area. Korea Society of Agricultural Extension. 2011; 18(3):435–83.
- Lee SH. Current status and adaptability of rural multicultural families. Proceedings of The Korean Society Of Community Living Science; 2007. p.13–27.
- Seo DH. Contextual understanding of immigrant women’s children’s school life in a rural area: A qualitative case study on a small-size elementary school in Chollanamdo province. Korean Journal of Sociology of Education. 2011; 21(2):87–120.
- An EM. Study on factors effecting school adjustment of children from international marriages in the rural areas. Unpublished Master’s Dissertation, Ewha Woman’s University; 2007.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.