Total views : 189
Critical Success Factors for Supplier Selection in the Construction Industry: The Case of Public Works Department
This research aims to identify Malaysia construction industry’s procurement system as well as its supplier selection decision making factors. This study also aims to establish a metric importance hierarchy as well as to find the correlation of metrics with major stakeholders of the construction industry. All this is done through a mixed-method approach using survey questionnaire and semi-structured interviews. Target respondents are from Public Works Department headquarters in Malaysia that are directly involved with supplier selection. Findings shows that an established construct of metric hierarchy simplifies supplier selection process as well as the process can be made optimal with less errors. This will anticipate more path of improvement towards the current policies besides creating a more transparent procurement process in supplier selection. Moreover, developing a systematic procedure in supplier selection will enable and ensure better optimization in construction projects. Hence, this will boost organizational effectiveness and profit and further improve the procurement development in Malaysia. The final outcome of this study is to embark in greater supplier selection standards and to raise procurement to the next level.
Construction Industry, Metrics, Public Works Department, Supplier Selection
- Ghanbaripour, A.N.,Ghoddousi P,Yousefi A, A Framework for Evaluating Project Managers’ PerformanceIdentification and Analysis of KPIs in Subway Construction Projects in Tehran. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 December;8(35): 2015.
- Day E, Barksdale H.C.Organizational Purchasing of Professional Services: The Process of Selecting Providers. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing. 1994;9(3):44–51.
- Mohammaditabar, D, Ghodsypour S.H. A supplier-selection model with classification and joint replenishment of inventory items. International Journal of Systems Science. 2016;47(8):1745–754.
- Safa, M., et al., Supplier selection process in an integrated construction materials management model. Automation in Construction. 2014;48: p. 64–73.
- Lu L.X, Swaminathan J.M. Supply Chain Management, International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences. Elsevier. 2015. p. 709–713.
- Rostamy-Malkhalifeh, M., Mollaeian E, MamizadehChatghayeh S. A New Non-radial Network DEA Model for Evaluating Performance Supply Chain. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 March; 6(3):2013.
- Miranda M.G, Ramachandran S. A Detailed Study on the Milk Supply Chain Process. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 March; 7(3): 2014.
- Forslund H, Jonsson P.Selection, implementation and use of ERP systems for supply chain performance management. Industrial Management & Data Systems. 2010;110(8): 1159–175.
- Segerstedt, A. and T. Olofsson, Supply chains in the construction industry. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal. 2010;15(5): 347–53.
- Ancarani, A. and G. Capaldo, Supporting decision-making process in facilities management services procurement: A methodological approach. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management.2005;11(5-6):232–41.
- Hui W.S, et al. Procurement issues in Malaysia. International Journal of Public Sector Management. 2011; 24(6):567–93.
- Mironov, M. and E. Zhuravskaya, Corruption in procurement: Evidence from financial transactions data. Unpublished working paper. Social Science Research Network. 2014.
- Aliza, A.H., K. Stephen, and T. Bambang, The Importance of Project Governance Framework in Project Procurement Planning. Procedia Engineering, 2011. 14. p. 1929–37.
- Ho, W., X. Xu, and P.K. Dey, Multi-criteria decision making approaches for supplier evaluation and selection: A literature review. European Journal of Operational Research. 2010. 202(1): p. 16–24.
- Zarbini-Sydani, A., A. Karbasi, and E. Atef-Yekta, Evaluating and Selecting Supplier in Textile Industry Using Hierarchical Fuzzy Topsis. Indian Journal of Science and Technology Volume 4, Issue 10, October 2011, 2011.
- Daily C.M, Dalton D.R. Corporate governance in the small firm: Prescriptions for CEOs and directors. Journal of Small Business Strategy. 2015; 5(1):57–68.
- Mustakallio, M.,Autio E, Zahra S.A. Relational and Contractual Governance in Family Firms: Effects on Strategic Decision Making. Family Business Review, 2002;15(3):205–22.
- Stovall O.S, Neill J.D, Perkin D. Corporate Governance, Internal Decision Making, and the Invisible Hand. Journal of Business Ethics. 2004;51(2):221–27.
- Thiruchelvam, S., Strategic Sourcing Supplier Selection for Capital Equipment, in Construction Management, School of Engineering. 2012, Auckland University of Technology: Auckland, New Zealand.
- Hassany Shariat Panahy, P. et al. A Framework to Construct Data Quality Dimensions Relationships. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 May; 6(5): 2013.
- Davis J, Shipley M.F, Stading G. A fuzzy supplier selection application using large survey datasets of delivery performance. Adv. Fuzzy Sys.2015. p. 3-3.
- Pallant J. SPSS Survival Manual: A step by step guide to data analysis using IBM SPSS. 2013: Allen & Unwin.
- Lancaster, G.A. Pilot and feasibility studies come of age! Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 2015;1(1):1–4.
- Gliem, R.R, Gliem J.A. Calculating, interpreting, and reporting Cronbach’s alpha reliability coefficient for Likert-type scales. 2003. Midwest Research-to-Practice Conference in Adult, Continuing, and Community Education.
- Matell, M.S,Jacoby J. Is There an Optimal Number of Alternatives for Likert Scale Items? Study. Educational and psychological measurement, 1971.31.p. 657–74.
- Das T.K. Intelligent Techniques in Decision Making: A Survey. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 March; 9(12):2016.
- Brown T.A.Confirmatory Factor Analysis for Applied Research, Second Edition. 2015: Guilford Press.
- Field A. Discovering Statistics using SPSS for Windows Sage Publications. London, 2000.2. p. 44–322.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.