Total views : 175
iAssess: Course Assessment Made Easy
Objectives: Introduce a methodology that can alleviate and automate course assessment required by accreditation bodies using handy tools such as spreadsheets. Methods/Statistical Analysis: To show the possibility of automating course assessment, we built a system, called iAssess, that consisted of a set of spreadsheets that provide templates for instructors to record student and course related data such as grades and course outcomes. Both student grades and course outcomes are programmatically linked such that whenever grades get updated, course outcomes get re-assessed seamlessly. Findings: To get a preliminary evaluation for the system, we tried it with 5 faculty members who dealt with almost 22 sections (approximately 400 students). The instructors were briefed about iAssess through informal sessions that lasted for 15 minutes each. Feedback was collected regularly every two months through informal interviews. Furthermore, after the adoption for two semesters, we conducted structured interviews in order to assess the attitude of instructors towards iAssess. Preliminary results showed that our system is easy to use, effective, and customizable. Application/Improvements: We envisage that our methodology and tool can be applied to any course assessment that is usually requested by accreditation bodies such as ABET.
ABET Accreditation, Course Assessment, Spreadsheets.
- Memon QA, Harb A. Developing electrical engineering education program assessment process at UAE University.Australasian Journal of Engineering Education. 2009; 15(3):155–64.
- Maxim B. Closing the loop: Assessment and accreditation.Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges. 2004 Oct; 20(1):7–18.
- ABET. 2016. Available from: http://www.abet.org
- Bailey M, Floersheim R, Ressler S. Course assessment plan: A tool for integrated curriculum management. Journal of Engineering Education. 2002 Oct; 91(4):425–34.
- Booth L. A database to promote continuous program improvement.Proceedings of the 7th Conference on Information Technology Education; Minnesota, USA, 2006 Oct.
- Booth L, Preston J, Qu J. Continuous program improvement: A project to automate record-keeping for accreditation.Proceedings of the 8th ACM SIGITE Conference on Information Technology Education; Destin, Florida, USA.2007 Oct.
- Poger S, Schiaffino R, Ricardo C. A software development project: A student-written assessment system. Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges. 2005 May; 20(5):229–38.
- WEAVEonline. 2016. Available from: http://www.weaveonline.com
- Blackboard Learn for Outcomes Assessment. 2016.Available from: http://www.blackboard.com/Platforms/ Learn/Products/Blackboard-Learn/AssessmentAccreditation-Analytics.aspx
- Desire2learn Measurement and Assessment Tools. 2016.Available from: http://www.desire2learn.com/learningenvironment/ assessment
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.