Total views : 323
The Effects of Self-esteem and Life Satisfaction on Problem Behaviors among Adolescents in Grandparent-Grandchild Families: The Mediating Effect of Social Support
Objectives: The present study aimed to examine the structural relationships among the self-esteem, life satisfaction, social support, and problematic behaviors of adolescents who grow up in grandparent-grandchild families. To achieve the objective, a survey was conducted among 381 adolescents in these families, and the results were as follows. Findings: First, analysis showed positive correlations among subgroups of internalized problematic behaviors. In addition, these behaviors had positive correlations with teachers’ support and friends’ support but negative correlations with life satisfaction. Additionally, externalized problematic behaviors were negatively correlated with parents’ support, teachers’ support, self-esteem, and life satisfaction. Second, structural equation modeling analysis revealed that self-esteem had a significant impact on social support and externalized problematic behaviors; life satisfaction on social support; and social support on problematic behaviors. Third, it was also found that social support mediates the relationships between self-esteem and problematic behaviors and between life satisfaction and problematic behaviours. Improvements: With these findings, this study proposes a plan to reduce the problematic behaviors of adolescents who live in grandparent-grandchild families.
Adolescents in Grandparent-Grandchild Families, Externalized Problematic Behaviors, Internalized Problematic Behaviors, Life Satisfaction, Self-Esteem, Social Support.
- Korea Statistics Office. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/ portal/eng/index.action
- Sung JH. A study on depression and anxiety of grandchildren parented by their grandparents in poverty. Ihwa University; 2000.
- Choi KR. The effect of adolescents' perception of family system and parent-adolescent communication on their psychological well-being. Journal of Family Relations. 1998; 3(1).
- Hoyt LA, Cowen EL, Pedro-Caroll JL, Alpen-Gills L.Anxiety and depression in young children of divorce.Journal of Clinical Child Psychology. 1990; 19(1):26–32.
- Grych JH, Finchman FD. Interventions for child of diverce: Toward greater integration of research and action.Psychological Bulletin. 1992; 111(3):434–54.
- Simons RL, Chao W. Conduct problems. Simons and associates, understanding difference between divorced and intact families. SAGE; 1996. p. 125–44.
- Kim HS. A study of the influence of grandparent`s attitude to bring up, care stress on grandchildren`s adjustment in grandparent-grandchildren family. Journal of the Korean Society of Child Welfare. 2004; 18.
- Ryu JW. The research of case about awareness of children separated from their parents and brought up by grand parents [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Gyeongin National University of Education; 2004.
- Park JS. Study of the influence of communication type and social support perceived by the children in poor grandparentgrandchild family on the children's school adaptation [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Soongsil University; 2005.
- Oh K. CBCL problems of children behavior scale. Seoul: Chungang-Juksung Publisher; 1997.
- Achenbach TM, Edelbrock C. Manual for the child behavior checklist 4-18. Burlington: University of Vermont; 1991.p. 288.
- Park JW. A study for development of social support scale [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Yonsei University; 1985.
- Yoon HJ. A perception of everyday stress and social network support in adolescence [Unpublished master’s thesis].Seoul National University; 1993.
- Rosenberg M. Society and the adolescent self-image. New Jercy, Princeton, Princeton University Press; 1965.
- West SG, Finch JF, Curran PJ. Structural equation models with nonnormal variables. Problems and remedies. Hoyle RH, editor. Structural equation modeling: Concepts, issues and applications. Newbury Park, CA: Sage; 1995. p. 56–75.
- Hong SH. The criteria for selecting appropriate fit indices in structural equation modeling and their rationales. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2000; 19:161–77.
- Lee HS, Lim JH. SPSS 20.0 Manual. Seoul, Seoulmoongo; 2011.
- Fassinger RE. Use of structural equation modeling in counseling psychology research. Journal of Counseling Psychology. 1987; 34(4):425–36.
- Kim YJ. The effects of family caregiving on mental health of frailed elders. Ewha University; 1999.
- Kim JE. A study on the psychological and emotional wellbeing of grandparents raising grandchildren in poverty and its influential factors. Choognam University; 2002.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.