Total views : 225
Effect of Rh Addition to Ni/MgO-Al2O3 Catalysts for Dry Reforming of Methane
Objective: This study has analyzed the performance of Ni and Ni-Rh catalysts based on MgO/g-Al2O3 in the process of dry reforming of methane (DRM). Methods/Statistical Analysis: The samples were prepared using the incipient wetness impregnation method and were characterized by N2 adsorption, X-ray diffraction (XRD), temperature-programmed reduction (TPR), diffuse reflectance spectroscopy (DRS), surface acidity, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), thermal gravimetric analysis (TGA), and Raman spectroscopy. The catalysts were reduced with hydrogen and measured in the reaction of CH4 with CO2 at two CH4/CO2 ratios. Findings: The 0.5% Rh addition to Ni/MgO-g-Al2O3 improves the activity and the stability for this process. In the bimetallic catalysts, the reduction temperature of the active phase decreases due to the hydrogen spillover mechanism from the noble metal to the catalyst surface, which favors their catalytic activity. On the other hand, the interaction between Rh and the support would be the cause for the better performance of bimetallic catalysts. The Rh-Ni/MgO-g-Al2O3 catalyst is the most active, indicating that the impregnation order affects the catalytic behavior. Improvements/Applications: This study gives promising results for this type of catalyst, also showing the effect of the catalyst preparation on the activity and its relationship with deactivation by coke.
Dry Reforming of Methane, Oxides, Rh-Ni Catalysts, Raman Spectroscopy and Scattering, Surface Properties.
- Takehira K, Shishido T, Wang P, Kosaka T, Takaki K. Autothermal reforming of CH4 over supported Ni catalysts prepared from Mg–Al hydrotalcite-like anionic clay.
- Journal of Catalysis. 2004 January; 221: 43–54. Crossref
- Takanabe K, Nagaoka K, Nariai K, Aika K. Titaniasupported cobalt and nickel bimetallic catalysts for carbon dioxide reforming of methane. Journal of Catalysis. 2005 June; 232: 268–75. Crossref
- Koo KY, Roh HS, Seo YT, Seo DJ, Yoon WL, Park SB. A highly effective and stable nano-sized Ni/MgO–Al2O3 catalyst for gas to liquids (GTL) process. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2008 April; 33: 2036–43. Crossref
- Moon HD, Lim TH, Lee HI. Chemical poisoning of Ni/ MgO catalyst by alkali carbonate vapor in the steam reforming reaction of DIR-MCFC. Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society. 1999 October; 20: 1413–17.
- Moon HD, Kim JH, Ha HY, Lim TH, Hong SA, Lee HI. Chemical poisoning of the Ni/MgO catalyst by alkali carbonate in a DIR-MCFC. Journal of the Korean Industrial Engineering Chemistry. 1999 October; 10: 754–60.
- Zhu X, Huo PP, Zhang YP, Liu CJ. Characterization of Argon Glow Discharge Plasma Reduced Pt/Al2O3 Catalyst. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. 2006 November; 45: 8604–09. Crossref
- Li D, Nishida K, Zhan Y, Shishido T, Oumi Y, Sano T. Superior catalytic behavior of trace Pt-doped Ni/Mg(Al)O in methane reforming under daily start-up and shut-down operation. Applied Catalysis A: General. 2008 November; 350: 225–36. Crossref
- Nakagawa K, Ikenaga N, Teng Y, Kobyashi T, Susuki T. Partial oxidation of methane to synthesis gas over iridium– nickel bimetallic catalysts. Applied Catalysis A: General. 1999 April; 180: 183–93. Crossref
- Bitter JH, Seshan K, Lercher JA. Mono and Bifunctional Pathways of CO2/CH4 Reforming over Pt and Rh Based Catalysts. Journal of Catalysis.1998 May; 176: 93–101. Crossref
- Aupretre F, Descorme C, Duprez D, Casanave D, Uzio D. Ethanol steam reforming over MgxNi1−xAl2O3 spinel oxide-supported Rh catalysts. Journal of Catalysis. 2005 July; 233: 464–77. Crossref
- Ocsachoque MA, Pompeo F, González MG. Rh–Ni/CeO2– Al2O3 catalysts for methane dry reforming. Catalysis Today. 2011 August; 172: 226–31. Crossref
- Chen Y-G, Tomishige K, Yokoyama K, Fujimoto K. Promoting effect of Pt, Pd and Rh noble metals to the Ni0.03Mg0.97O solid solution catalysts for the reforming of CH4 with CO2. Applied Catalysis A: General. 1997 December; 165: 335–47. Crossref
- Rezaei M, Meshkani F, Biabani AB, Nematollahi B, Ranjbar A, Hadian N, Mosayebi Z. Autothermal reforming of methane over Ni catalysts supported on nanocrystalline MgO with high surface area and plated-like shape. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2011 September; 36: 11712– 17. Crossref
- Juan-Juan J, Román-Martínez MC, Illán-Gómez MJ. Effect of potassium content in the activity of K-promoted Ni/ Al2O3 catalysts for the dry reforming of methane. Applied Catalysis A: General. 2006 February; 301: 9–15. Crossref
- Pena JA, Herguido J, Guimon C, Monzón A, Santamarina J. Hydrogenation of Acetylene over Ni/NiAl2O4Catalyst: Characterization. Coking and Reaction Studies. Journal of Catalysis. 1996 April; 159: 313–22. Crossref
- Parmaliana A, Arena F, Frusteri F, Giordano N. Temperature-programmed reduction study of NiO–MgO interactions in magnesia-supported Ni catalysts and NiO– MgO physical mixture. Journal of the Chemical Society Faraday Transactions. 1990 January; 86: 2663–69. Crossref
- Koo KY, Roh HS, Seo YT, Seo DJ, Yoon WL, Park SB. Coke study on MgO-promoted Ni/Al2O3 catalyst in combined H2O and CO2 reforming of methane for gas to liquid (GTL) process. Applied Catalysis A: General. 2008 June; 340: 183–90. Crossref
- De Souza HSA, Da Silva AN, Castro AJR, Campos A, Filho JM, Oliveira AC. Mesoporous catalysts for dry reforming of methane: Correlation between structure and deactivation behaviour of Ni-containing catalysts. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2012 September; 37: 12281– 91. Crossref
- Zhang ZL, Verykios XE. Carbon dioxide reforming of methane to synthesis gas over supported Ni catalysts. Catalysis Today. 1994 December; 21: 589–95. Crossref
- Hourichi T, Sakuma K, Fukui T, Kubo Y, Osaki T, Mori T. Suppression of carbon deposition in the CO2-reforming of CH4 by adding basic metal oxides to a Ni/Al2O3 catalyst. Applied Catalysis A: General. 1996 September; 144: 111– 20. Crossref
- Kim GJ, Cho D, Kim K, Kim J. The reaction of CO2 with CH4 to synthesize H2 and CO over nickel-loaded Y-zeolites. Catalysis Letters. 1994 March; 28: 41–52. Crossref
- Pino L, Vita A, Cipiti F, Lagana M, Recupero V. Hydrogen production by methane tri-reforming process over Ni– ceria catalysts: Effect of La-doping. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. 2011 April; 104: 64–73. Crossref
- Xu L, Song H, Chou L. Carbon dioxide reforming of methane over ordered mesoporous NiO–MgO–Al2O3 composite oxides. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. 2011 October; 108–109: 177–90. Crossref
- Suarez S, Yates M, Petre AL, Martin JA, Avila P, Blanco J. Development of a new Rh/TiO2–sepiolite monolithic catalyst for N2O decomposition. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. 2006 May; 64: 302–11. Crossref
- Ojeda M, Lopez Granados M, Rojas S, Terreros PF, GarciaGarcia FJ, Fierro JLG. Manganese-promoted Rh/Al2O3 for C2-oxygenates synthesis from syngas: Effect of manganese loading. Applied Catalysis A: General. 2004 April; 261: 47–55. Crossref
- Dohmae K, Nonaka T, Seno Y. Local structure change of Rh on alumina after treatments in high-temperature oxidizing and reducing environments. Surface and Interface Analysis. 2005 January; 37: 115–19. Crossref
- Li H, Li HX, Dai WL, Wang WJ, Fang ZG. XPS studies on surface electronic characteristics of Ni–B and Ni–P amorphous alloy and its correlation to their catalytic properties. Applied Surface Science. 1999 November; 152: 25–34. Crossref
- Larichev YV, Netskina OV, Komova OV, Simagina VI. Comparative XPS study of Rh/Al2O3 and Rh/TiO2 as catalysts for NaBH4 hydrolysis. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2010 July; 35: 6501–07. Crossref
- Lucredio AF, Assaf JM, Assaf EM. Methane conversion reactions on Ni catalysts promoted with Rh: Influence of support. Applied Catalysis A: General. 2011 June; 400: 156– 65. Crossref
- Ocsachoque M, Quincoces C, González MG. Effect of Rh addition on activity and stability over NI/γ-AL2O3 catalysts during methane reforming with CO2. Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis. 2007 May; 167: 397–402. Crossref
- Pompeo F, Nichio NN, González MG, Montes M. Characterization of Ni/SiO2 and Ni/Li-SiO2 catalysts for methane dry reforming. Catalysis Today. 2005 October; 107: 856–62. Crossref
- Hou ZY, Yokota O, Tanaka T, Yashima T. Investigation of CH4 Reforming with CO2 on Mesoporous Al2O3Supported Ni Catalyst. Catalysis Letters. 2003 July; 89: 121–27. Crossref
- Li S, Ji G, Huang Z, Zhang F, Du Y. Synthesis of chaoitelike macrotubes at low temperature and ambient pressure. Carbon. 2007 December; 45: 2946–50 Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.