Total views : 259
Pilot's Situational Awareness and Methods of its Assessment
Objectives: The objective of this study is to search for the method of redistributing the functions between the pilot and the automatic control system. Methods: The study presents theoretical analysis of the principal approaches to the assessment of situational awareness and of the existing methods of its measuring described in both foreign and domestic literature. The review makes it possible to formulate the complex vision of this issue as it is represented in current investigations. Findings: Based on the results of the analysis it has been established that notwithstanding the significance of situational awareness within the framework of the flight safety theory, there is no generally adopted opinion on whether it is the process or the result of the pilot’s activity. The contradictions in the approaches to situational awareness assessment also lead to the fact that there is no generally accepted method for its measurement. Nevertheless, this study justifies the advisability of the calculation of the degree of the pilot’s situational awareness as the quantitative criterion for redistributing the control functions between the pilot and the automation system that takes into account both the complexity of aircraft control systems and the intensity of the pilot’s activity. Applications/Improvements: The study solves the problem of the redistribution of the functions between pilot and intelligent automatic control system based on the quantitative evaluation of the pilot’s IQ and situational awareness.
Automatic Control System, Information Content of Recognition, Pilot, Pilot’s IQ, Situational Awareness, The Intensity of the Pilot’ Activity.
- Kaber DB, Perry CM, Segall N. Situation Awareness Implications of Adaptive Automation for Information Processing in an Air Traffic Control-Related Task, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 2006; 36(5):447–62.
- Durso FT, Rawson KA, Girotto S. Comprehension and Situation Awareness. In: Handbook of Applied Cognition.2nd Edn., Wiley: UK. 2007; 163–193.
- Klein G, Moon B, Hoffman RR. Making Sense of Sensemaking 1: Alternative Perspectives, IEEE Intelligent Systems. 2006; 21(4):70–73.
- Croft D, Banbury S, Butler LT, Berry DC. The Role of Awareness in Situation Awareness. A Cognitive Approach to Situation Awareness: Theory and Application, Aldershot, UK: Ashgate. 2004; 82–103. ISBN: 978-0-7546-4198-8.
- Hone G, Martin L, Ayres R. Awareness - does the Acronym “SA” Still have a Practical Value? Paper Presented. 11th International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium, Cambridge: UK: 2006.
- Patrick J, Morgan PL. Approaches to Understanding, Analyzing and Developing Situation Awareness, Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science. 2010; 11(1):41−57.
- Chauvin C, Clostermann JP. Situation Awareness and the Decision-Making Process in a Dynamic Situation: Avoiding Collisions at Sea, Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making. 2008 Spring; 2(1):1–23.
- Durso FT, Sethumadhavan A. Situation Awareness: Understanding Dynamic Environments, Human Factors.2008 Jun; 50(3):442–8.
- Gonzalez C, Wimisberg J. Situation Awareness in Dynamic Decision Making: Effects of Practice and Working Memory, Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making.2007 Spring; 1(1):56–74.
- Gutzwiller RS, Clegg BA. The Role of Working Memory in Levels of Situation Awareness, Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making. 2013 Jun; 7(2):141–54.
- Chiappe D, Strybel TZ, Kim-Phuong LVU. A Situated Approach to the Understanding of Dynamic Situations, Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making.2015; 9(1):33–43.
- Endsley MR. Situation Awareness in Dynamic Human Decision Making: Measurement. Situational Awareness in Complex Systems; 1994. 79-97.
- Endsley MR. Toward a Theory of Situation Awareness in Dynamic Systems, Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. 1995; 37(1):32−64.
- Wickens CD. Situation Awareness: Review of Mica Endsley’s 1995 Articles on Situation Awareness Theory and Measurement, The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. 2008 Jun; 397−403.
- Wickens CD. Situation Awareness and Workload in Aviation, Current Directions in Psychological Science.2002; 11:128−33.
- Sarter N, Woods D. How in the World did we ever get into that Mode? Human Factors. 1995; 37:5–19.
- Adams MJ, Tenney YJ, Pew RW. Situation Awareness and the Cognitive Management of Complex Systems, Human Factors. 1995; 37:85–104.
- Willems BF, Truitt TR. Implications of Reduced Involvement in en Route Air Traffic Control (No. DOT/ FAA/CT-TN99/22). Atlantic City: Federal Aviation Administration, William J. Hughes Technical Center: 1999.
- Kaber DB, Perry CM, Segall N, McClernon CK, Prinzel LJ.Situation Awareness Implications of Adaptive Automation for Information Processing in an Air Traffic Control-Related Task, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 2006; 36:447–62.
- Rousseau R, Tremblay S, Banbury S, Breton R, Guitouni A. The Role of Metacognition in the relationship between Objective and Subjective Measures of Situation Awareness, Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science. 2010; 11(1):119−30.
- Salmon P, Stanton N, Walker G, Green D. Situation Awareness Measurement: A Review of Applicability for C4i Environments, Applied Ergonomics. 2006; 37(2):225−38. DOI: S0003-6870(05)00055-4 [pii] 10.1016/j.apergo.2005.02.001
- Endsley MR. Measurement of Situation Awareness in Dynamic Systems, Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. 1995; 37(1):65−84.
- Taylor RM. The Development of a Tool for Aircrew Systems Design. Proceedings of the AGARD AMP Symposium on Situational Awareness in Aerospace Operations, CP478.Seuilly-sur Seine: NATO AGARD, 1989.
- Sætrevik B. A Controlled Field Study of Situation Awareness Measures and Heart Rate Variability in Emergency Handling Teams. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 56th Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Jones DG. Subjective Measures of Situation Awareness. In: M.R. Endsley and D.J. Garland (Eds.), Situation Awareness Analysis and Measurement, Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum; 2000, 113–28.
- Gugerty LJ, Tirre WC. Individual Differences in Situation Awareness. In: M.R. Endsley and D.J. Garland (Eds.), Situational Awareness Analysis and Measurement, Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum; 2000, 249–76.
- Durso FT, Hackworth CA, Truitt TR, Crutchfield J, Nikolic D, Manning CA. Situation Awareness as a Predictor of Performance for en Route Air Traffic Controllers, Air Traffic Control Quarterly. 1998; 6(1):1–20.
- Stanton NA, Salmon PA, Walker GH. Let the Reader Decide: A Paradigm Shift for Situation Awareness in Sociotechnical Systems, Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making. 2015 Mar; 9(1):44–50.
- Edgar GK, Smith AJ, Stone HE, Beetham DL, Pritchard C.QUASA: Quantifying and Analyzing Situational Awareness.Paper Presented at the IMCD People in Digitized Command and Control Symposium, Shrivenham: UK; 2000.
- McGuinness B. Quantitative Analysis of Situational Awareness (QUASA): Applying Signal Detection Theory to True/False Probes and Self-Ratings. Paper Presented at the Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium, San Diego: CA; 2004.
- Alshareet OM. An Empirical Study to Develop a Decision Support System (DSS) for Measuring the Impact of Quality Measurements over Agile Software Development (ASD), IJST. 2015 Jul; 8(15).
- Chatterjee G, Somkuwar A. Induced Stress Monitoring of Pilots with Synthesized ECG, IJST. 2010 Jan; 3(1).
- Kirilkin VS, Potapenkov VI, Tsybova EA. The Method of Redistributing the Functions of Aircraft Control and the System for its Implementation, МПК8: G 05 B 13/00, G 06 F 17/40. Application for invention No. 2013107571 dd. 02.20.2013 Federal Intellectual Property, Patent and Trademark Service. Publication date: 08.27.2014. Bulletin No. 24. Date accessed: 07.10 2016. URL: http://www1.fips.ru/Archive/PAT/2014FULL/2014.08.27/Index_ru.htm
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.