Total views : 183
Effect of Nano Particle (Marble Sludge Powder) on Shear Strength of Soil to Strengthen the Vembakottai Dam
Objectives: A study is carried out to investigate the effect of marble sludge powder on the stabilization of soil and to improve soil properties of an earthen dam at Vembakottai. Methods: Soil samples were collected from different places at Vembakottai dam, while marble sludge powder bought from local market. Marble Sludge powder is the by product from marble pieces and used as a constituent for cement concrete and then stabilize the soil strength. The test revealed as compaction test, unconfined compression test obtained on soil mixed at different proportions of marble sludge powder and cement. Findings: Finally, marble sludge powder can be used to stabilize the soil as sustainable alternative compared to other stabilizers. Marble dust is the best way to achieve sustainable practices and enhance the strength in Vembakottai dam. Basis of experimental work, this research concludes that soil stabilization using cement alone is a very difficult process. Some extra admixtures are used to increase the strength of soil. An admixture which reacts with cement undergone hydration process for that marble sludge powder plays important role in soil stabilization. In this research, better results can be achieved by using marble sludge powder and cement in a ratio of 10:20.
Binding Material, Compaction Test, Shear Strength, Stabilization, Sustainable Practices.
- Singh, PS, Yadav RK. Effect of marble dust on index Properties of black cotton soil. International Journal of Engineering, Research and Science. 2014 August; 3(3):158– 63.
- Majeed ZH, Taha MR. Effect of nanomaterial treatment on geotechnical properties of a Penang soft soil. Journal of Asian Scientific Research. 2012; 2(11):587.
- Hameed MS, Sekar ASS. Properties of green concrete containing quarry rock dust and marble sludge powder as fine aggregate. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2009 Jun; 4(4):83–9.
- Hameed MS, Sekar ASS, Balamurugan L, Saraswathy V.Self-compacting concrete using marble sludge powder and crushed rock dust. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering. 2012 Sep; 16(6):980–8.
- Hameed, MS, Sekar ASS, Saraswathy V. Strength and permeability characteristics study of self-compacting concrete using crusher rock dust and marble sludge powder. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering. 2012 Apr; 37(3):561–74.
- Negi AS, Faizan M, Siddharth DP, Singh R. Soil stabilization using lime. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2013 Feb; 2(2):448–53.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.