Total views : 141
Efficient Bit-Parallel Systolic Polynomial Basis Multiplier over GF(28) based on Irreducible Polynomials
Objectives: Multiplication in Galois fields is used in many applications, especially in cryptography. Several algorithms and architectures are proposed in the literature to obtain efficient multiplication operations in Galois fields. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: In this paper, based on a modified interleaved modular multiplication algorithm, a bit-parallel systolic multiplier based on generic irreducible polynomials over Galois Field (GF (28)) is proposed. Theoretical hardware and speed complexity analysis is performed and the proposed multiplier is compared with other systolic multipliers available in the literature for irreducible polynomials. Findings: The proposed systolic multiplier achieves 21.23% reduction in hardware complexity when compared with the best multiplier among existing multipliers for m = 8. Applications/Improvements: The Field-Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) implementation results for the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and Two fish algorithms, incorporating the proposed multiplier and some existing designs, are also presented which indicates that the proposed multiplier achieves low area and low power consumption when compared with other systolic multipliers available in the literature.
Bit-Parallel, Cryptography, Field Programmable Gate Arrays, Galois Field, Polynomial Basis, Systolic.
- Schneier B. Foundations. In: applied cryptography. 2nd edition.John Wiley and Sons Inc.: UK; 1996. p. 1–4.
- Data Encryption Standard (DES). NIST - Federal Information Processing Standard Publication (FIPS PUB).1977 Jan; 46(3):1–22.
- AES. NIST - Federal Information Processing Standard Publication (FIPS PUB). 2001 Nov 26; 197:5–47.
- Wang M, Blake IF. Bit serial multiplication in finite fields. SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics. 1990; 3(1):140–8.
- Song L, Parhi KK. Low-energy digit-serial/parallel finite field multipliers. Journal of Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Signal Processing Systems for Signal, Image and Video Technology. 1998; 19(2):149–66.
- Wu H. Low complexity bit-parallel finite field arithmetic using polynomial basis. Proceedings In International Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems, Germany; 1999. p. 280–91.
- Yeh CS, Reed IS, Truong TK. Systolic multipliers for finite fields GF (2m). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers(IEEE) Transactions on Computers. 1984; 100(4):357–60.
- Song L, Parhi KK. Optimum primitive polynomials for low-area low-power finite field semi-systolic multipliers.Proceedings In Signal Processing Systems SIPS 97-Design and Implementation, UK; 1997. p. 375–84.
- Ho H. Design and implementation of a PB multiplier architecture over GF(2m). Journal of Signal Processing Systems.2014; 75(3):203–8.
- J. H. Guo, C. L. Wang. Digit-serial systolic multiplier for finite fields GF(2m). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers(IEEE) Proceedings-Computers and Digital Techniques. 1998; 145(2). 143-148.
- Wang CL, Lin JL. Systolic array implementation of multipliers for finite fields GF(2m). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers(IEEE) Transactions on Circuits and Systems. 1991; 38(7):796–800.
- Wu CW, Chang MK. Bit-level systolic arrays for finite-field multiplications. Journal of Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Signal Processing Systems for Signal, Image and Video Technology. 1995; 10(1):85–92.
- Jain SK, Song L, Parhi KK. Efficient semisystolic architectures for finite-field arithmetic. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers(IEEE) Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems. 1998; 6(1):101–13.
- Koc CK, Acar T. Montgomery multiplication in GF (2k).Designs, Codes and Cryptography. 1998; 14(1):57–69.
- Chiou CW, Lee CY, Deng AW, Lin JM. Efficient Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) implementation for montgomery multiplication in GF (2m). Tamkang Journal of Science and Engineering. 2006; 9(4):365–72.
- Chiou CW, Lee CY, Lin JM. Finite field polynomial multiplier with LFSR. Tamkang Journal of Science and Engineering. 2007; 10(3):253–64.
- Lee CY. Low-complexity bit-parallel systolic multipliers over GF (2m). Integration, the Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Journal. 2008; 41(1):106–12.
- Lee CY. Multiplexer-based bit-parallel systolic multipliers over GF (2m). Computers and Electrical Engineering.2008; 34(5):392–405.
- Fournaris AP, Koufopavlou O. Versatile multiplier architectures in GF (2k) fields using the montgomery multiplication algorithm. INTEGRATION, the Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Journal. 2008; 41(3):371–84.
- Kwon S, Kim CH, Hong CP. More efficient systolic arrays for multiplication in GF (2m) using LSB first algorithm with irreducible polynomials and trinomials. Computers and Electrical Engineering. 2009; 35(1):159–67.
- Kim KW, Jeon JC. PB multiplier using cellular systolic architecture.Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE) Journal of Research. 2014; 60(2):194–9.
- Erdem SS, Yanik T, Koc CK. PB multiplication over GF (2m). Acta Applicandae Mathematicae. 2006; 93(1):33–55.
- Henriquez FR, Perez AD, Saqib NA, Koc CK. Binary Finite Field Arithmetic. In: Cryptographic Algorithms on Reconfigurable Hardware. 1st edition, Springer: USA; 2007.p. 139–88.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.