Total views : 154
Modeling and Deformation Analysis of Piezoresistive Cantilever for Bio-sensing Applications
Objectives: To design a simple piezoresistive cantilever punched with different shaped objects in the concept of Stress Concentrated Region (SCR) and study the effects of geometrical changes, addition of materials and applied loads to find out optimum conditions resulting high displacement sensitivity. Methods/Analysis: Design and simulation of piezoresistive cantilever with different punched objects (Circle, Triangle, Rectangle and T-Shape) to explore the maximum deformation. These design attempts indicate the bending of a cantilever under an applied load and solves the deformation of the beam under an applied force. The study also extended to analyze the sensitivity with the change of piezoresistive materials for same applied input force and given geometry. Findings: From the analyses of both the efforts, it is observed that the SiO2 based MEMS piezoresistive cantilever found to exhibit high deformation in turn sensitivity. The reasons for improvement in the sensitivity were discussed in detail by means of dimensional modifications, applied loads and materialistic properties. The design and simulations of a piezoresistive cantilever were carried out using commercial MEMS software tool COMSOL v 5.2a. Novelty/Improvement: This type of study would be useful to detect very minute biological mass changes that enable to overcome low resolution of the read out system for piezoresistive approach. The study of deformation of piezoresistive cantilever under surface stress loading may be treated as loading condition that take place in biochemical sensors.
Cantilever, Deformation, COMSOL V 5.2a, Piezoresistive.
- Tang Y, Fang J, Yan X, Ji H F. Fabrication and characterization of SiO2 microcantilever for microsensor application.Sensors and Actuators B., 2004; 97:109–13.
- Gandhi MJPS, Lal R, Rao VR, Mukherji S. Modelling, simulation, and design guidelines for piezoresistive affinity cantilevers. Journal of Micro Electro Mechanical Systems.2011; 20(3):774–84.
- Lu Y, Chivukula V, Wang M, Ji H-F. Simulation and fabrication of SiO2-based piezoresistive microbridges for chem/ biosensors. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering.2006; 16:692–98.
- Mo Y, Xuan Z, Kambiz V, Ozkan CS. High sensitivity piezoresistive cantilever design and optimization for analytereceptor binding. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering.2003; 13:864–72.
- Dragoman D, Dragoman M. Terahertz field characterization using fabry-perot-like cantilever. Applied Physics Letters.2001; 79:581–3.
- Shekhawat G, Tark SH, Dravid VP. MOSFET embedded microcantilevers for measuring deflection in bimolecular sensors. Science. 2006; 311:1592–5.
- Tang Y, Fang J, Yan X. Fabrication and characterization of SiO2 microcantilever for microsensor application. Sensors and Actuators B. 2004; 97:109–13.
- Brugger J, Buser RA, de Rooij NF. Micromachined atomic force microprobe with integrated capacitive read out.Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering. 1992; 20(2):218–20.
- Yin T, Nguyen TA. Molecule sensing layer design of piezoresistive cantilever sensor for higher surface stress sensitivity.Vietnam Journal of Mechanics. 2012; 34:311–20.
- Yang M, Zhang X, Vafai K, Ozkan CS. High sensitivity piezoresistive cantilever design optimization for analyte-receptor binding. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering.2003; 13: 864–72.
- Sacu IE, Alci M. Design of a basic piezoresistive micro cantilever biosensor. Istanbul University - Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. 2013; 13(2):1641–5.
- Park S-J. Piezoresistive cantilever performance - Part-I: Analytical model sensitivity. Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems. 2010 Feb; 19(1):137–48.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.