Total views : 282
Effects of the Balance Tapping Therapy on Dysmenorrhea and Premenstrual Syndrome
Background/Objectives: Dysmenorrhea and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) can effecton the women’s quality of life. The purpose of this study was to identify effects of the balance taping therapy on dysmenorrhea and PMS. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This study was a pretest-posttest design with a nonequivalent control group. A total participants were 51 female university students, 26 female were assigned as an experimental group and 25 female were assigned as a control group. The experimental group received balance taping therapy and the control group received none. Data were analyzed by SPSS 20.0 win program using technical statistics, independent t-test, x2test, and ANCOVA. Findings: The experimental group identify significant decrease in dysmenorrheal (F=16.50, p<.001) and PMS (F=11.04, p=.002) compared with the control group. The experimental group was lower level of dysmenorrheal (F=16.50, p<.001)and PMS (F=13.95, p<.001) than the control group. Improvements/Applications: The balance tapping therapy is an effective intervention for dysmenorrhea and PMS. Therefore, balance tapping therapy has proven to be an effective nursing intervention for dysmenorrhea and PMS.
Balance Tapping Therapy, Dysmenorrhea, Premenstrual Syndrome.
- Dewhurst J, Edmonds DK. Dewhurst’s textbook of obstetrics and gynaecology. 8th ed. Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell. 2012.
- Patel V, Tanksale V, Sahasrabhojanee M, Gupte S, Nevrekar P. The burden and determinants of dysmenorrhoea: a population-based survey of 2262 womenin Goa, India. BJOG Int J Obst Gynaecol. 2006; 113(4):453–63.
- Santer M, Warner P, Wyke S. A Scottish postal survey suggested that the prevailing clinical preoccupation with heavy periods does not reflect the epidemiology of reported symptoms and problems. J Clin Epidemiol. 2005; 58(11):1206–10.
- Omidvar S, Bakouei F, Amiri FN, Begum K. Primary dysmenorrheal and menstrual symptoms in Indian female students: Prevalence, impact and management. Glob J Health Sci. 2015 Dec 18; 8(8):53632.
- Nasir L, Bope ET. Management of pelvic pain from dysmenorrheal or endometriosis. J Am Board Fam Pract. 2004; 17(supple):S43–7.
- Benmanesh F, Zafari M, Zeinalzadeh M, Aghmhammade A, Akbarpoor S. Comparing the effectiveness of acupressure and fish oil capsules and ibuprofen on pain severity of primary dysmenorrheal. JIST. 2012; 5(6):3059–64.
- Sriprasert I, Suerungruang S, Athilarp P, Matanasarawoot A, Teekachunhatean S. Efficacy of acupuncture versus combined contraceptive pill in treatment of moderate-to severe dysmenorrheal: A randomized controlled trial. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2015; article ID 735690:1–10.
- Ryu A, Kim TH. Premenstrual syndrome: A mini review. Maturitas. 2015; 82(4):436–40.
- Pearlstein T. Steiner M. Premenstrual dysphoric disorder: Burden of illness and treatment update. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2008; 33:291–301.
- Dennerstein L, Lehert P, Backstrom TC, Heinemann K. Premenstrual symptoms-severity, duration and typology: An international cross-sectional study. Menopause Int. 2009; 15:120–6.
- O’Brien PM. Helping women with PMS. Br Med J. 1993; 307:1471–75.
- Rapkin AJ, Winer SA. PMS and premenstrual dysphoric disorder: quality of life and burden of illness. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2009; 9(2):157–70.
- Heinemann LA, Minh TD, Heinemann K, Lindemann M, Filonenko A. Intercountry assessment of the impact of severe premenstrual disorders on work and daily activities. Health Care Women Int. 2012; 33(2):109–24.
- Hong GY, Shin BC, Park SN, Gu YH, Kim NG, Park KJ, Kim SY, Shin YI. Randomized controlled trial of the efficacy and safety of self-adhesive low level light therapy in women with primary dysmenorrhea. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2016; 133:37–42.
- Apay SE, Arslan S, Akpinar RB, CelebiogluA. Effect of aromatherapy massage on dysmenorrheal in Turkish student. Pain Manag Nurs. 2012; 13:236–40.
- Azima S, Bakhshayes HR, Kaviani M, Abbasnia K, Sayadi M. Comparison of the effect of massage therapy and isometric exercise on primary dysmenorrheal: A randomized controlled clinical trial. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2015; 28:486–91.
- Kang SA, Chon MY. Comparative effectiveness of taping therapy versus compression stocking on edema, pain, and fatigue in the lower extremities of hospital nurses. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(S8):15–21.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.