Total views : 277
Morphometric Analysis using Remote Sensing and GIS Techniques in the Bagain River Basin, Bundelkhand Region, India
Objectives: Morphometry is a measurement and mathematical analysis of landforms. The main objective of the study is to calculate the morphometric parameters of the Bagain river basin. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Remote Sensing (RS), Geographical Information System (GIS) and Global Positioning System (GPS) proved to be an efficient tool in our modern geographical and geological studies that are been used in the study. Basin morphometry shows numerical analysis or mathematical quantification of different aspects of a drainage basin. In this study Bagain river basin has been selected for morphometric characterization which is a tributary of river Yamuna. The morphometric analysis includes aspects as linear, areal and relief. Findings: The region is covered with high altitude Vindhyan hills. There is a large number of drainage systems originated from south and goes to north and downpours in the Yamuna River. The method applied to the river basin gave a recent calculation of the morphometric parameters of the region. Application/Improvements: The present study gives an account of information about drainage pattern, stream behaviour and morphometric setting of drainage within the network helping for watershed management.
Bagain, GIS, Morphometric-Analysis, Remote Sensing, Watershed.
- Strahler AN. Quantitative geomorphology of drainage basin and channel networks. In: Chow VT editor. Handbook of applied hydrology. New York, McGraw Hill Book. 1964; 4–76.
- Horton RE. Erosional development of streams and their drainage basins: Hydrophysical approach to quantitative morphology. Bull Geol Soc Am. 1945; 5:275–370. Crossref
- Schumm SA. Evolution of drainage system and slope in badlands of Perth Amboy, New Jersey. Bull Geol Soc Am. 1956; 67:597–46. Crossref
- Strahler AN. Quantitative Analysis of Watershed Geomorphology. Trans Amer Geophy Union. 1957; 38:913–20. Crossref
- Horton RE. Drainage basin characteristics. Trans Am Geophys Union. 1932; 13:350–61. Crossref
- Miller VC. A quantitative geomorphic study of drainage basin characteristic in the clinch, Mountain area, Verdinia and Tennesser, Project NR 389-042,Tech Rept 3 Columbia University, Department of Geology, ONR, Geography Branch, New York. 1953.
- Singh S, Dubey A. Geo environmental planning of watersheds in India. Allahabad, India. Chugh Publications. 1994; 28–69. PMid:8119746
- Strahler AN. Dimensional analysis applied to fluvially eroded landforms. Geolo Soc of Amr Bull. 1958; 69:279– 300. Crossref
- Verstappen HT. Applied geomorphology-geomorphological surveys for environmental development. New York. Elsevier. 1983; 57–83.
- Chorley RJ, Donald EGM, Pogorzelski HA. A new standard for estimating drainage basin shape. Am J Sci. 1957; 255:138–41. Crossref
- Smith KG. Standards for grading texture of erosional topography. Am J Sci. 1950; 248:655–68. Crossref
- Chottopadhyay N, Hasmi S. The Sung Valley Alkaline Ultramafic Carbonalite Complex, East Khasi Hills and Jaintia Hills district, Meghalaya, G.S.I. Record. 1984; 113(4):24–33.
- Agarwal CS. Study of drainage pattern through aerial data in Naugarh area of Varanasi district, U.P. J Indian Soc Rem Sens. 1998; 26:169–75.
- Rudraiah M, Govindaiah S, Srinivas Vittala S. Morphometry using Remote Sensing and GIS Techniques in the SubBasins of Kagna River Basin, Gulburga District, Karnataka. India J Indian Soc Remote Sens. 2008; 36:351–60. Crossref
- Mayilvaganan MK, Mohana P, Naidu KB. Delineating groundwater potential zones in Thurinjapuram watershed using geospatial techniques. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Nov; 4(11):1470–76.
- Sen Gupta D, Dwivedi L, Tripathi SK, Ghosh P, Awasthi A. Groundwater potential mapping of Sihu river watershed area of Mahoba district, U.P. using remote sensing and GIS. International Journal of Applied Research. 2015; 1(10):241–48.
- Dwivedi L, Sen Gupta D, Tripathi S. Groundwater potential mapping of Ukmeh river watershed area of Upper Vindhyan region using remote sensing and GIS. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Sep; 9(36):1–7. Crossref
- Nag SK. Morphometric Analysis using Remote Sensing Techniques in the Chaka Sub-Basin, Purulia District, West Bengal. Journal of Indian Society of Remote Sensing. 1998; 26(1&2):69–76. Crossref
- Patel RS, Sen Gupta D, Tiwari SK, Dwivedi SB. Morphometric aspects of a small river system of Mirzapur district, Uttar Pradesh, India: A Case study of Barhi river system. International journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development. 2016 Mar; 3(3):250–5.
- Singh S, Singh MC. Morphomertric Analysis of Kanhar River Basin. National Geographical Jour of India. 1997; 43(1):31–43.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.