Total views : 184
Fault Diagnosis of Helical Gear Box Using Vibration Signals through J-48 Graft Algorithm and Wavelet Features
Objectives: In this paper, machine learning approach, grounded on vibrations, has been used for helical gear box and holds a vital position in the industry. This approach has three steps namely feature extraction, feature selection and feature classification. Firstly, feature extraction was carried out using Matrix Laboratory (MATLAB) software. Feature selection was done using J48 classifier. The nodes with highest classification accuracy were further tested using J48 graft classifier and the results obtained were very promising. Methods/Analysis: Vibration signals were obtained from the experimental set up of the helical gear box. The recorded signals were then used for feature extraction using MATLAB through different wavelet features. The total numbers of signals extracted were 448 with each class consisting of 64 signals. The families of wavelets taken into account for fault diagnosis were Haar, Discrete Mayer, Daubechies, Biorthogonal, Reverse Biorthogonal, Coiflet and Symlets (SYM). In wavelet selection, signals were dissected into various frequencies and each was analyzed with appropriate resolution.J48 classifier was used to carry out the feature selection process and decision tree was obtained for Sym 8 wavelet. The best combination of nodes was visualized and further feature classification was done on these nodes. Findings: Feature classification was carried out by J48 graft algorithm. Using the grafting technique, the classifier achieved the highest accuracy for pruned data for 10 times cross validation. It gave maximum accuracy for pruned data (40%) and the results were satisfactory. Novelty/Improvements: The J48 graft algorithm uses grafting to infer from previous decision trees. This helps in reducing prediction errors.
Decision Tree, Gearbox Fault Diagnosis, J48 Classifier, J48 graft Classifier, Wavelet.
- Pravin KA, Jegadeeshwaran R, Sugumaran V. Roller bearing fault diagnosis by decision tree algorithms with statistical feature. International Journal of Research in Mechanical Engineering. 2013 Jul–Sep; 1(1):1–9.
- Chokkalingam SP, Komathy K. Comparison of different classifier in WEKA for rheumatoid arthritis. In the International Conference on Human Computer Interactions (ICHCI). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE); 2013 Aug 23–24. p. 1–6.
- Rajput S, Arora A. Designing spam model- classification analysis using decision trees. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2013; 75(10):2.
- Wisaeng K. A comparison of different classification techniques for bank direct marketing. International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering. 2013 Sep; 3(4):116–9.
- Goyal A, Mehta R. Performance comparison of naïve bayes and J48 classification algorithms. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2012; 7(11):1–5.
- Kokare A, Venkatesan P, Tandel S, Palivela H. Survey on classification based techniques on non-spatial data. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2014 Feb; 3(1):409–13.
- Hayashi Y, Tanaka Y, Takagi T, Saito T, Iiduka H, Kikuchi H, Bologna G, Mitra S. Recursive rule extraction algorithm with J48 graft and applications to generating credit scores. Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing Research. 2016; 6(1):35–44.
- Choubey DK, Paul S. GA_J48graft DT: a hybrid intelligent system for diabetes disease diagnosis. International Journal of Bio-Science and Bio-Technology. 2015; 7(5):135–50.
- Arora V, Siddiqui JA, Mulaveesala R, Muniyappa A. Hilbert transform-based pulse compression approach to infrared thermal wave imaging for sub-surface defect detection in steel material. Insight-Non-Destructive Testing and Condition Monitoring. 2014 Oct; 56(10):550–2.
- Katore LS, Umale JS. Comparative study of recommendation algorithms and systems using WEKA. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2015 Jan; 110(3):14–7.
- Yesilyurt. Gearbox fault detection and severity assessment using vibration analysis [PhD Thesis]. UK, University of Manchester; 1997.
- Yadav RB, Jha B, Rao KRM, Yadav HL. Selection of optimal mother wavelet for fault detection using discrete wavelet transform. International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering. 2013 Jun; 2(6):2338–43.
- Tse PW, Yang W, Tam HY. Machine fault diagnosis through an effective exact wavelet analysis. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2004; 277:1005–24.
- Santra AK, Christy CJ. Genetic algorithm and confusion matrix for document clustering. International Journal of Computer Science Issues. 2012 Jan; 9(1):322–8.
- Serasiya SD, Chaudhary N. Simulation of various classifications results using WEKA. International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering. 2012 Aug 5; 1(3):155–62.
- Tripathi G, Naganna S. Feature selection and classification approach for sentiment analysis. Machine Learning and Applications: An International Journal(MLAIJ). 2015 Jun; 2(2):1–16.
- Vijayarani S, Muthulakshmi M. Comparative analysis of bayes and lazy classification algorithms. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering. 2013 Aug; 2(8):3118–24.
- Patil TR, Sherekar SS. Performance analysis of naive bayes and J48 classification algorithm for data classification. International Journal of Computer Science and Applications. 2013 Apr; 6(2):256–61.
- Khatun A, Chowdhury MMH. Image compression using discrete wavelet transform. International Journal of Computer Science Issues. 2012 Jul; 9(4):327–30.
- Sharma A, Amarnath M, Kankar PK. Feature extraction and fault severity classification in ball bearings. Journal of Vibration and Control. 2016; 22(1):176–92.
- Kumar H, Kumar TAR, Amarnath M, Sugumaran V. Fault diagnosis of bearings through vibration signal using bayes classifiers. International Journal of Computer Aided Engineering and Technology. 2014 Jan; 6(1):14–28.
- Amarnath, Jain, Sugumaran, Kumar H. Fault diagnosis of helical gear box using naïve bayes and bayes net. International Journal of Decision Support Systems. 2015; 1(1):4–17.
- Sharma G, Bhargava N, Bhargava R, Mathuria M. Decision tree analysis on J48 algorithm for data mining. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering. 2013 Jun; 3(6):1114–9.
- Gangadhar N, Kumar H, Narendranath S, Sugumaran V. Fault diagnosis of single point cutting tool through vibration signal using decision tree algorithm. International Conference on Advances in Manufacturing and Materials Engineering, Procedia Materials Science. 2014; 5:1434–41.
- Joshuva A, Sugumaran V, Amarnath M. Selecting kernel function of support vector machine for fault diagnosis of roller bearings using sound signals through histogram features. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2015; 10(68):482–7.
- Byrtus M, Zeman V. On modeling and vibration of gear drives influenced by nonlinear couplings, Mechanism and Machine Theory. 2011 Mar; 46(3):375-97.
- Saravanan N, Siddabattuni VNSK, Ramachandran KI. Fault diagnosis of spur bevel gear box using Artificial Neural Network (ANN) and Proximal Support Vector Machine (PSVM), Applied Soft Computing. 2010 Jan; 10(1):344–60.
- Joshuva A, Sugumaran V. Fault diagnostic methods for wind turbine: a review. Asian Research Publishing Network (ARPN) Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2016 Apr; 11(7):4654–68.
- Muralidharan V, Sugumaran V, Sakthivel NR. Wavelet decomposition and support vector machine for fault diagnosis of monoblock centrifugal pump. International Journal of Data Analysis Techniques and Strategies. 2011; 3(2):159–77.
- Ngui WK, Leong MS, Hee LM, Abdelrehman AM. Wavelet analysis: Mother wavelet selection methods. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2013; 393:953–8.
- Amarnath M, Jain D, Sugumaran V, Kumar H. Fault diagnosis of helical gear box using decision tree and best-first tree. International Journal of Research in Mechanical Engineering. 2013 Jul–Sep, 1(1):22–33.
- Villa LF, Renones A, Peran JR, Miguel LJ. Statistical fault diagnosis based on vibration analysis for gear test-bench under non-stationary conditions of speed and load. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2012 May; 29:436–46.
- Muralidharan A, Sugumaran V, Soman KP, Amarnath M. Fault diagnosis of helical gear box using variational mode decomposition and random forest algorithm. SDHM: Structural Durability and Health Monitoring. 2014; 10(1):81–97.
- Arora R, Suman. Comparative analysis of classification algorithms on different datasets using WEKA. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2012 Sep; 54(13):21–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.