Total views : 226
Implementing K-Star Algorithm to Monitor Tyre Pressure using Extracted Statistical Features from Vertical Wheel Hub Vibrations
Objectives: Tyre pressure monitoring systems are automotive electronic systems used to monitor the automobile tyre pressure. The existing systems use pressure sensors or wheel speed sensors. They depend on batteries and radio transmitters which would add up to cost and complexity. Methods/Analysis: This paper proposes a new machine learning approach to monitor the tyre pressure. Vertical vibrations are extracted from a wheel hub of a moving vehicle using an accelerometer and are classified using machine learning techniques. The statistical features are extracted from the vibration signal and the features are classified using K Star algorithm. Findings: A reasonably high classification accuracy of 89.16% was obtained. Application/Improvements: The proposed model can be used for monitoring the automobile tyre pressure successfully.
Automobile, K Star Algorithm, Machine Learning, Statistical Features, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System.
- Velupillai S, Guvenc L. Tyre Pressure Monitoring [Applications of Control]. IEEE Control Systems. 2007 Dec; 27(6):22–5.
- Tyre tread depth and wet weather stopping distances. 2015.Available from: http://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/ vehicles/tyre-safety-technology/pressure-monitoring-systems
- Wei C, Zhou W, Wang Q, Xia X, Li X. TPMS (Tyre-Pressure Monitoring System) sensors: Monolithic integration of surfacemicro machined piezo resistive pressure sensor and self-testable accelerometer. Microelectronic Engineering.2012 Mar; 91(1):167–73.
- NIRA Dynamics AB and Dunlop Tech GmbH. Indirect Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems - Myths and Facts.2012. Available from: http://www.businesswire.com/news/ home/20120720005231/en/Nira-Dynamics-Indirect-TirePressure-Monitoring-Systems
- NIRA Dynamics. 2016. Available from: http://www.niradynamics.se/
- Remote tyre pressure sensing technique. 2013.Available from: https://archive.org/details/nasa_techdoc_ 19940011411
- Craighead IA. Sensing tyre pressure, damper condition and wheel balance from vibration measurements. Proceeding of Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering. 1997 Apr; 211(4):257–65.
- Yulan Z, Yanhong Z, Yahong L. Based on multi-sensor information fusion algorithm of TPMS research. International Conference on Solid State Devices and Materials Science.Physics Procedia. 2012 Apr; 25:786–92.
- Singh KB, Bedekar V, Taheri S, Priya S. Piezoelectric vibration energy harvesting system with an adaptive frequency tuning mechanism for intelligent tires. Mechatronics. 2012 Oct; 22(1):970–88.
- Hamed M, Tesfa B, Aliwan M, Li G, Gu F, Ball AD. The influence of vehicle tyres pressure on the suspension system response by applying the time-frequency approach.International Conference on Automation and Computing; Brunel University, London. 2013 Sep. p. 1–6.
- Carcaterran A, Roveri N. Tyre grip identification based on strain information: Theory and simulations. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2013 Dec; 41(1-2):564–80.
- Dubois G, Cesbron J, Yin HP, Anfosso-Ledee F, Duhamel D. Statistical estimation of low frequency tyre/road noise from numerical contact forces. Applied Acoustics. 2013; 74(9):1085–93.
- The role of tyre pressure in vehicle safety, injury and environment.Road safety solutions. 2007. Available from: http://www.inawise.com/liveimages/tyre-pressure-reportfinal.pdf
- Mohsenimanesh A, Ward SM, Gilchrist MD. Stress analysis of a multi-laminated tractor tyre using non-linear 3D finite element analysis. Materials and Design. 2009 Apr; 30(4):1124–32.
- Persson N. Estimation properties of a tyre pressure monitoring system. Link Opings University, SE-581 83 Link oping; 2002 Nov. p. 1–6.
- Pearce JM, Hanlon JT. Energy conservation from systematic tyre pressure regulation. Energy Policy. 2007 Apr; 35(4):2673–7.
- Sri RN, Vetrivel S, Mathew R, Sankar AR. Effect of electroplated gold film on the performance of a piezoresistive accelerometer with stress concentrated tiny beams. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(19):1–5.
- McLean RF, Alsop SH, Fleming JS. Nyquist - Overcoming the limitations. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2005 Feb; 280(1-2):1–20.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.